Canadian PhD applications!

KayCee

Hi Friends,

I didn't see a thread that was specifically for Canadian PhD applicants, so I figured I would start one!

I've applied to U of T, York, Guelph, and McMaster.

38 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

Thanks for starting this @KayCee

I applied to 7 US schools and 1 Canadian school (Western). 

Western is awesome!  I wanted to apply there as well, but they were a bit outside of my commuting zone.  I'd have loved to try some of the US schools, but price of tuition as an international student + having to relocate my family was a huge barrier for me.

42 minutes ago, KayCee said:

Western is awesome!  I wanted to apply there as well, but they were a bit outside of my commuting zone.  I'd have loved to try some of the US schools, but price of tuition as an international student + having to relocate my family was a huge barrier for me.

I'm definitely enthusiastic about Western - they've got amazing faculty. I understand that relocating your family to the US would be difficult for sure - however, most of the US programs are fully funded and come with healthcare plans which makes going to the states a really attractive option for PhD programs! Thats actually the reason I applied to mainly US schools and only 1 Canadian! 

Edit- to give some context, I did my bachelors in Canada and my masters in the US. 

Edited by polisci_gal

26 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

I'm definitely enthusiastic about Western - they've got amazing faculty. I understand that relocating your family to the US would be difficult for sure - however, most of the US programs are fully funded and come with healthcare plans which makes going to the states a really attractive option for PhD programs! Thats actually the reason I applied to mainly US schools and only 1 Canadian! 

Edit- to give some context, I did my bachelors in Canada and my masters in the US. 

That is fair!  It sounds like an awesome adventure, that is for sure.  I can't wait for updates (US updates too!)

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Pusat94 said:

I am an international student. I've applied to York, Toronto, Victoria, Western, Alberta, Guelph, Queens, Mcmaster, Carleton and Simon Fraser.

I have friends who applied at Alberta and Queens, but I don't think they are on here!

1 hour ago, polisci_gal said:

Nice. Comparative / Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, Pusat94 said:

Political Theory and Comparative Politics. What about you?

Oh fun!  I'm kinda all over for subfields.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Mikel said:

Hi everyone! Have you received any results from Canada yet? I'm starting to get nervous. ?

Nothing yet, granted I only applied to 1 Canadian school. I'm expecting to hear back sometime this month though....I hope....lol

Was accepted to McGill last week (just an informal e-mail from the graduate coordinator with the portal being updated shortly after, no formal letter yet or anything) but since then haven't heard from any of the other Canadian places I've applied – like @polisci_galmy guess is that they should come this month, probably closer to the end?

1 hour ago, polisci_gal said:

Nothing yet, granted I only applied to 1 Canadian school. I'm expecting to hear back sometime this month though....I hope....lol

Haha, same! Let's keep our fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Interpretivist said:

Was accepted to McGill last week (just an informal e-mail from the graduate coordinator with the portal being updated shortly after, no formal letter yet or anything) but since then haven't heard from any of the other Canadian places I've applied – like @polisci_galmy guess is that they should come this month, probably closer to the end?

Congrats on the acceptance, that's great news! And you're most likely right. I just can't stop checking my email and application portals. Well, it is what it is.

Hi everyone

Has any one heard back from University of Toronto (PhD applicants)? Last  year, early admissions decisions were released around this time. It is the only University i applied to in Canada beside other applications to U.S. 

20 hours ago, Pusat94 said:

Hi. Which universities did you apply to?

I actually applied only to York. I'm an international applicant outside North America, and I didn't want to move to a new continent for PhD programs that aren't absolutely perfect fits, so I didn't apply anywhere else. I'm interested in York because I'm very much into critical political economy (and critical theory as well). However, I know that York admits just a couple international students per cycle, so I know the competition is very tough.

What made you apply to York, if you don't mind me asking? ?

45 minutes ago, Saina92 said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard back from the University of Ottawa, Victoria, UBC, McGill, and Concordia? 

When do Canadian schools usually release the results?

Hi! @Interpretivist said that he was admitted to McGill last week. I suppose we will start hearing from other programs (hopefully) next week, though it's hard to say whether the pandemic is going to cause some delay.

5 minutes ago, Mikel said:

Hi! @Interpretivist said that he was admitted to McGill last week. I suppose we will start hearing from other programs (hopefully) next week, though it's hard to say whether the pandemic is going to cause some delay.

Thank you Mikel

I hope all of us will hear soon. This year is a tough challenging year I guess. 

22 minutes ago, Saina92 said:

Thank you Mikel

I hope all of us will hear soon. This year is a tough challenging year I guess. 

I only applied to Concordia btw but their deadline is Feb 1 so I don't expect to hear back until March or April.