Canadian PhD applications!

KayCee

Thank you Icemanyeo. I have heard that Concordia usually releases the results later than the other schools in Canada. However, I am not sure about it. These days are really stressful for all of us. I have watched several series and movies just to distract myself. That is a hard job though.

On 2/13/2021 at 4:14 AM, Taaya said:

Hi everyone

Has any one heard back from University of Toronto (PhD applicants)? Last  year, early admissions decisions were released around this time. It is the only University i applied to in Canada beside other applications to U.S. 

Hi @Taaya! I'm a first year polisci PhD student at UofT (University of Toronto). Last year was a bit misleading; the first round of admits were sent out on Feb 10th, which was exceptionally early for UofT. Normally, the department doesn't send out notifications until a bit later, usually some time between late February and early March. Don't get discouraged if you haven't heard anything yet from Toronto, the department should be sending out decisions any day now. 

Also, I can't speak to anything immigration/visa related, but if anyone has any questions about Toronto/UofT, the department/program, etc., please feel free to message me. 

41 minutes ago, Paulcg87 said:

Hi @Taaya! I'm a first year polisci PhD student at UofT (University of Toronto). Last year was a bit misleading; the first round of admits were sent out on Feb 10th, which was exceptionally early for UofT. Normally, the department doesn't send out notifications until a bit later, usually some time between late February and early March. Don't get discouraged if you haven't heard anything yet from Toronto, the department should be sending out decisions any day now. 

Also, I can't speak to anything immigration/visa related, but if anyone has any questions about Toronto/UofT, the department/program, etc., please feel free to message me. 

Thank you very much for your reply @Paulcg87 That's a bit anxiety-relieving. For sure would have questions if -hopefully-admitted and thanks again for your offer to help. 

Could someone who has also applied to York tell me: What does your MyFile say? Does it say "No decision yet" or "No decision yet - under review"?

I'm asking because I have a long history of my applications etc. being accidentally misplaced by office workers and such. ?

Edited by Mikel

4 hours ago, Mikel said:

Could someone who has also applied to York tell me: What does your MyFile say? Does it say "No decision yet" or "No decision yet - under review"?

I'm asking because I have a long history of my applications etc. being accidentally misplaced by office workers and such. ?

Hi there!

At some point, mine changed from "No Decision Yet" to "No Decision Yet - Currently Under Consideration". Not sure the difference. Perhaps, it changed when the Admissions Committee first met? I am not too worried about it :) 

Hope that helps!

18 hours ago, polisci_gal said:

Heard back from Western today - got accepted with funding!! Thats the only Canadian school I applied to, but hopefully the rest of you hear back from the other places soon enough

Congrats! I also heard from Western yesterday with funding! 

Thank you for replying!

36 minutes ago, becalmbekindbesafe said:

At some point, mine changed from "No Decision Yet" to "No Decision Yet - Currently Under Consideration". Not sure the difference. Perhaps, it changed when the Admissions Committee first met?

Well, now I'm a little worried ? My application status has not changed, so I'm starting to wonder if the admissions office forgot to forward my application file to the department... I think I'll email the admissions office to be sure. (Something like this happens to me almost every time.)

40 minutes ago, becalmbekindbesafe said:

I also heard from Western yesterday with funding! 

Congrats, that is great news! ?

2 hours ago, Mikel said:

Thank you for replying!

Well, now I'm a little worried ? My application status has not changed, so I'm starting to wonder if the admissions office forgot to forward my application file to the department... I think I'll email the admissions office to be sure. (Something like this happens to me almost every time.)

Congrats, that is great news! ?

Thank you! I wouldn't worry too much, but checking in with the admissions office probably wouldn't hurt. Who knows, maybe we will both be hearing good news soon. I wish you luck! :)

So far got accepted into McGill (PhD Political Science, IR subfield) and Waterloo (Balsillie School, PhD in Global Governance). Haven't gotten any funding information yet (formal letter forthcoming) but been scheduling some interviews with the profs at Waterloo! Best of luck to all those still waiting for results and if anyone has questions about UBC feel free to let me know (did my BA and MA there)!

Hi ..I am an international applicant from India. I applied (For PhD in Philosophy , Language Subfield ) to UBC, McGill, Alberta , and Calgary. 

Got a rejection mail from UBC on 19 Feb. :(

(Application deadline was 7 Jan)

Any idea by when McGill , Alberta , n Calgary might release admission decisions ? (Application Deadline was 15 Jan)

13 hours ago, Harish Pedaprolu said:

Hi ..I am an international applicant from India. I applied (For PhD in Philosophy , Language Subfield ) to UBC, McGill, Alberta , and Calgary. 

Got a rejection mail from UBC on 19 Feb. :(

(Application deadline was 7 Jan)

Any idea by when McGill , Alberta , n Calgary might release admission decisions ? (Application Deadline was 15 Jan)

Hey Harish. I know that Calgary has already sent out a few acceptance letters, though they do mention that all students will likely hear back by early March (so don't lose hope!). 

Alberta has sent out a few waitlist notifications; I'd expect to hear back within the next couple of weeks. 

Looking at past entries, McGill seems to release its admissions decisions in March. So, I would wait on that one. 

Just now, AJ9721 said:

Hey Harish. I know that Calgary has already sent out a few acceptance letters, though they do mention that all students will likely hear back by early March (so don't lose hope!). 

Alberta has sent out a few waitlist notifications; I'd expect to hear back within the next couple of weeks. 

Looking at past entries, McGill seems to release its admissions decisions in March. So, I would wait on that one. 

Thank you so much ! ?

8 minutes ago, AJ9721 said:

Hey! Any idea about philosophy applicants specifically?

8 hours ago, Harish Pedaprolu said:

Hey! Any idea about philosophy applicants specifically?

Hey Harish! Yes, all the information there is about philosophy applications specifically. 

From Calgary, I got the information through personal correspondence (I've applied there myself). I got the information about the other universities by looking up past results in philosophy here on this website. 

Good luck! 

36 minutes ago, AJ9721 said:

Hey Harish! Yes, all the information there is about philosophy applications specifically. 

From Calgary, I got the information through personal correspondence (I've applied there myself). I got the information about the other universities by looking up past results in philosophy here on this website. 

Good luck! 

Ok, thanks! Congratulations for Calgary ? 

3 hours ago, ErcW said:

Does anyone here know if PhD stipends are taxed at Candian universities?

I actually don't think they are. Stipends/bursaries/scholarships are all filed under the same category on a T4A i think - which I don't believe is considered taxable income. You'd have to do some more research into this but I'm leaning towards the fact that they're not taxed. Perhaps TA/RA-ships might be different because youre technically working? You'd have to contact the school probably to find out!

9 hours ago, polisci_gal said:

I actually don't think they are. Stipends/bursaries/scholarships are all filed under the same category on a T4A i think - which I don't believe is considered taxable income. You'd have to do some more research into this but I'm leaning towards the fact that they're not taxed. Perhaps TA/RA-ships might be different because youre technically working? You'd have to contact the school probably to find out!

Do you have a picture about what is the average net income through funding aid minus the tuition fee , etc  in Canada ? Also is it possible to get RA +TA + Bursary/Scholarship together ?

Edited by Harish Pedaprolu

2 hours ago, Harish Pedaprolu said:

Do you have a picture about what is the average net income through funding aid minus the tuition fee , etc  in Canada ? Also is it possible to get RA +TA + Bursary/Scholarship together ?

It really depends on the school in terms of the funding amount. You can look at their specific websites to see what their base funding package is or you can reach out to your admissions contact there. They will tell you how much your package is when you get accepted. That being said, If I had to take a guess - I think its generally somewhere around the 20k mark for Ontario universities after tuition fees are deducted. 

& Yes it is possible to get an RA/TA-ship + additional scholarships and bursaries on top of that. When it comes to taxes though, I dont know how they calculate it when you have a combination - something to ask your school or accountant LOL 

1 minute ago, polisci_gal said:

It really depends on the school in terms of the funding amount. You can look at their specific websites to see what their base funding package is or you can reach out to your admissions contact there. They will tell you how much your package is when you get accepted. That being said, If I had to take a guess - I think its generally somewhere around the 20k mark for Ontario universities after tuition fees are deducted. 

& Yes it is possible to get an RA/TA-ship + additional scholarships and bursaries on top of that. When it comes to taxes though, I dont know how they calculate it when you have a combination - something to ask your school or accountant LOL 

Thank you so much !