2021 Application Discussion - Film & Media Studies / Cinema Studies

jkv152

6 hours ago, jkv152 said:

I was also rejected from UC Berkeley, not surprised. But I do have an interview with UW! They reached out to me yesterday.

An interview with UW sounds really promising. Best of luck! Additionally, if you learn anything relevant about their admission situation this year then please share! :) 

I am currently waiting to hear back from UCI (visual studies), UW and NYU; I was rejected from UCSB. I was recently waitlisted at UofT. If anyone has any insight into the UCI admissions process then please get in touch!

@phdinoverthinking i'm also waiting for a response back from UCI! i had an interview with them in January but unfortunately i think they may have already sent out acceptances, based on two banners on the admissions results. i also have a friend who works for the department and she was able to find out that they were only looking to accept 6 new students for fall 2021 :( 

9 hours ago, jkv152 said:

I was also rejected from UC Berkeley, not surprised. But I do have an interview with UW! They reached out to me yesterday.

Congrats on the interview from UW! I also applied to UW, but haven't heard from them. May I ask what your research areas are? Also, do you happen to know if they have already sent out other interview requests? Thank you very much!

19 hours ago, jkv152 said:

Did the DGS email you for interview requests? Do you know if it's informal or formal? 

15 hours ago, phdinoverthinking said:

An interview with UW sounds really promising. Best of luck! Additionally, if you learn anything relevant about their admission situation this year then please share! :) 

I am currently waiting to hear back from UCI (visual studies), UW and NYU; I was rejected from UCSB. I was recently waitlisted at UofT. If anyone has any insight into the UCI admissions process then please get in touch!

When did you hear about being waitlisted? I've given up hope on my application but now im just curious about the time frame for acceptance, rejection and waitlist for if I apply again next year. Also can I ask what your research interest are? 

3 minutes ago, jkv152 said:

@TTFilmMedia They gave me a few time slots to select from so I imagine they sent out requests to others. My research area is in queer cinema, women, gender & sexuality and psychoanalysis.

@Kim2016It is a short informal interview.

Interesting! I just got an email from the graduate coordinator saying due to the snow storm decisions will be delayed and will likely be out by early March. Did you get the same email as well? 

35 minutes ago, Kim2016 said:

Interesting! I just got an email from the graduate coordinator saying due to the snow storm decisions will be delayed and will likely be out by early March. Did you get the same email as well? 

Hi, are you referring to UW's graduate coordinator? By decisions in early March, was s/he referring to "final" decision (like acceptance, waitlist, and/or rejection)? If there is any information that was not mentioned in this thread, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hi there, finally asking this because this waiting game is grueling! Does anyone have updates regarding CU Boulder's Media Studies PhD program? Just saw on the results page that someone was accepted last week, but I have yet to hear anything from the school. Any insights would be much appreciated! 

26 minutes ago, fossati said:

Oh no, I just meant in a general sense, not specific to UW. 

However, I did apply to UW and I haven't heard from them at all. 

I am just expecting many rejections all around.

Already got 2 rejections myself :(

1 hour ago, Kim2016 said:

Already got 2 rejections myself :(

@Kim2016, @fossati Please don't give up hope just yet. There's always next year to try again. This year has been weird and tough due to COVID that forced some schools to cancel the admission process. What are both of your research interest, if you don't mind me asking? I'm focusing on postcolonial documentary films and nationalism in East Asia cinema.

Edited by andylee0427

On 2/24/2021 at 7:28 PM, ACKru said:

When did you hear about being waitlisted? I've given up hope on my application but now im just curious about the time frame for acceptance, rejection and waitlist for if I apply again next year. Also can I ask what your research interest are? 

My interest are in ecocriticism, representation of development and infrastructure, and East Asian cinema. I received my email from UofT on the 23rd. 

Good luck with your applications!

Edited by phdinoverthinking

41 minutes ago, andylee0427 said:

@Kim2016, @fossati Please don't give up hope just yet. There's always next year to try again. This year has been weird and tough due to COVID that forced some schools to cancel the admission process. What are both of your research interest, if you don't mind me asking? I'm focusing on postcolonial documentary films and nationalism in East Asia cinema.

I am actually counting my blessings bc I got an offer from USC. So that is definitely a really good choice. Even though I knew it was a longshot, I was just slightly heartbroken I did not get into Duke or Berkeley. My research interests are in Chinese cinema, and I am hoping to do more research related to technology and theory next year. 

And yes, it seems like this year is extra competitive. Since many good schools have closed their application cycle, more people have either probably applied to the available options or opting to wait it out until next year (so I assume that next year will also be difficult). I am also just kind of making an assumption, but it seems like some schools might be taking in less students this year. 

Anyway, good luck! I hope you get an offer.

5 minutes ago, fossati said:

I am actually counting my blessings bc I got an offer from USC. So that is definitely a really good choice. Even though I knew it was a longshot, I was just slightly heartbroken I did not get into Duke or Berkeley. My research interests are in Chinese cinema, and I am hoping to do more research related to technology and theory next year. 

And yes, it seems like this year is extra competitive. Since many good schools have closed their application cycle, more people have either probably applied to the available options or opting to wait it out until next year (so I assume that next year will also be difficult). I am also just kind of making an assumption, but it seems like some schools might be taking in less students this year. 

Anyway, good luck! I hope you get an offer.

Awesome! My research interest is in global streaming giants disruption in national cinema (ie South Korea, Japan etc)  and the use of data surveillance and its impact on mode of production & distribution of media contents. 

16 hours ago, Kim2016 said:

Awesome! My research interest is in global streaming giants disruption in national cinema (ie South Korea, Japan etc)  and the use of data surveillance and its impact on mode of production & distribution of media contents. 

Awesome! So cool. I hope you get funding for your research!