2021 Application Discussion - Film & Media Studies / Cinema Studies

jkv152

Hi! I registered yesterday and thought I might drop a line here. I have applied for UW Film & Media MA but I am worried about my chances because I did not receive news until now and I see some people are already being interviewed... however, as I applied for the MA instead of the PhD, maybe I am not being interviewed?

7 hours ago, Kaharim said:

Hi! I registered yesterday and thought I might drop a line here. I have applied for UW Film & Media MA but I am worried about my chances because I did not receive news until now and I see some people are already being interviewed... however, as I applied for the MA instead of the PhD, maybe I am not being interviewed?

Based on the results from a couple of years ago, one of the respondents said s/he did an interview and still got rejected. But I might be wrong, so don't give up hope! What's your research interest, if you don't mind me asking? :)

11 hours ago, andylee0427 said:

Based on the results from a couple of years ago, one of the respondents said s/he did an interview and still got rejected. But I might be wrong, so don't give up hope! What's your research interest, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Hi! Thank you for the encouraging words. Audiovisual Gothic, Gender in Media and Queer Theory. What's yours? ?

8 hours ago, Kaharim said:

Hi! Thank you for the encouraging words. Audiovisual Gothic, Gender in Media and Queer Theory. What's yours? ?

Mine's postcolonial documentary films and US imperialism in East Asia. Good luck and I hope you get an offer! ;)

9 hours ago, jkv152 said:

Happy Monday and March everyone!

It seems with COVID, many schools are taking a bit longer than usual. I'm wishing the best for us all. Hopefully we all get some good news this week! Best of luck :)

Likewise! Have you conducted the interview with UW? If so, I hope it went well. If it's alright with you, would you share some questions that came out during the interview? I'd greatly appreciate that!

Happy March, and best of luck! ;)

9 hours ago, andylee0427 said:

Likewise! Have you conducted the interview with UW? If so, I hope it went well. If it's alright with you, would you share some questions that came out during the interview? I'd greatly appreciate that!

Happy March, and best of luck! ;)

Yes, I did interview with UW. The questions were very personal as they pertained to my decision to study one thing over another. I imagine the questions changed depending on who they were interviewing. They stressed that this was an informal interview, so it felt more like a casual conversation.

What I can say is that decisions go out this month, but they did not specify when. It all depends on when they get through interviews. I hope it’s this week but who knows!

1 minute ago, m00dyjewel said:

Just got word from Yale and it was a rejection. Unfortunate but expected! 

I applied to the Film and English combined program, if that’s helpful for anyone to know. 

Same here. I also received a rejection for FMS/CompLit. Bummer :(

2 hours ago, lysfaye_ said:

Hi, just discovered this forum! I'm waiting on UW's PhD decisions but I'm assuming that maybe it's not a great sign if we haven't heard yet... Or maybe they do interviews in waves (to try and stay optimistic). Have rejections gone out yet?

I haven't heard anything back from UW yet either. Not sure if it means rejection or not. On the portal it says decisions will come out by mid-March though! 

I've started to fear (considering how other unis have proceeded) that UW might accept only one or two students in the MA program aiming to prioritize PhD students' funding. I mean, I would get that, but I feel that we are competing with the PhD applicants even if we did not apply for the same program and it kind of feels unfair?

Edited by Kaharim
Typo

6 hours ago, lysfaye_ said:

Hi, just discovered this forum! I'm waiting on UW's PhD decisions but I'm assuming that maybe it's not a great sign if we haven't heard yet... Or maybe they do interviews in waves (to try and stay optimistic). Have rejections gone out yet?

I asked the UW graduate coordinator and this is what she wrote back to me: 

We are aiming to make admissions decisions (along with waitlist decisions) around mid March.  Although I don't know the exact plans for the admissions committee, I would expect the committee will want to speak with folks on the waitlist before making a final offer.  

I hope this helps. Best of luck, everyone!

12 hours ago, andylee0427 said:

I asked the UW graduate coordinator and this is what she wrote back to me: 

We are aiming to make admissions decisions (along with waitlist decisions) around mid March.  Although I don't know the exact plans for the admissions committee, I would expect the committee will want to speak with folks on the waitlist before making a final offer.  

I hope this helps. Best of luck, everyone!

Thank you so much! Really any information during this crazy process is helpful so much appreciated :)

3 hours ago, ACKru said:

official rejection from UT arrived at 12am Texas time! 

Same.. got my rejection today and I'm heart broken! It was my top choice and I had extensive communications with 2 of my POIs + 1 current PhD student prior to the application deadline yet I guess it was all good for nothing :(

Hi! Did anyone receive an admission offer from UT Austin yet? I just went through all the result postings and it seems like around 10 people got waitlisted, me included of course.

Does anyone know if that's how it usually is with UT Austin?

Hey all the peers of cms! Just kind of going off a little bit, I am a junior undergrad double major in French and Film studies, and I want to kindly ask if it is possible in general for an undergrad to be accepted by a phd program? If yes, what are the essential/imperative factors that will lead to consideration of admission office?

Besides, any advice for the writing sample to be submitted for application? In particular, is it necessary/better to align my writing sample with my research interests reflected in the personal statement? I am planning to apply for master programs in the fall, but I would also like to give it a shot for phd programs.

I would appreciate it for any response and advice!

And of course, best of luck to ALL of you! What is yours will eventually come by your side.