2021 Application Discussion - Film & Media Studies / Cinema Studies

jkv152

10 hours ago, Kim2016 said:

Nice! On the status page it says decisions will be out by mid-March but based on last year's results it seems like they make their decisions by end of Feb. Have you spoken to any of your POIs or DGS before applying to the program? 

No, I haven't. I purposfully didn't contact POIs as such act doesn't really help. Have you contacted some of the POIs? If so, what information have they provided to you in regards to the admission process? I'd love to know :)

39 minutes ago, andylee0427 said:

No, I haven't. I purposfully didn't contact POIs as such act doesn't really help. Have you contacted some of the POIs? If so, what information have they provided to you in regards to the admission process? I'd love to know :)

Cool! I just contacted them prior to my applications to make sure my research is a good fit w/ their dept. I spoke to 2 or 3 professors there including the DGS and they were all very friendly and gave me good information to their program as they are relatively new (re-branded from Comp. Lit dept) They said they only admit 3-5 grad students (including Masters) to offer full funding pkg to every admitted students. 

Good Luck! 

2 hours ago, m00dyjewel said:

Just got a rejection letter from Stanford PhD in Art History (FMS). Wanted to drop the info here in case anyone is waiting to hear from that program. 

Did you get a two paragraph personalised letter? I'm wondering whether these are form letters.

2 minutes ago, jv945 said:

Did you get a two paragraph personalised letter? I'm wondering whether these are form letters.

My letter said: 

“The Art History and Film and Media Studies faculty recently met to review applications for the Department's PhD program. Although we were extremely impressed by your application, the faculty had to make difficult decisions given this year's exceptionally strong pool of candidates.

We are sorry to inform you that we will not be able to offer you admission to our program. We greatly appreciate your interest in our program, and wish you all the best with your future plans and ongoing studies.” 

So yeah, two paragraphs. Seemed pretty standard to me although ofc I’d like to believe they were “extremely impressed” haha ?

Just now, m00dyjewel said:

My letter said: 

“The Art History and Film and Media Studies faculty recently met to review applications for the Department's PhD program. Although we were extremely impressed by your application, the faculty had to make difficult decisions given this year's exceptionally strong pool of candidates.

We are sorry to inform you that we will not be able to offer you admission to our program. We greatly appreciate your interest in our program, and wish you all the best with your future plans and ongoing studies.” 

So yeah, two paragraphs. Seemed pretty standard to me although ofc I’d like to believe they were “extremely impressed” haha ?

Same letter. hahahaha! They could have lied to us better than this. ??

48 minutes ago, jeangabin said:

I got (positive) word yesterday from Yale's joint program with EALL––I definitely think FMS accepts students based on the admissions timeline of the home department.

That's a relief. And great news for you! I haven't seen any movement within comp lit so I'm taking that as no news is good news. 

On 2/12/2021 at 11:03 PM, Elusively said:

Hi ACkru,

I was invited for a casual interview with the committee of UT Austin RTF Film and Media Ph.D. on January 30. The interviews seemed to take place between Monday February 1st and Wednesday 3rd. I think it went quite well for me. I asked them when I would have an official response, and they said it should be 2-3 weeks after the interview. Good luck!

I have other informations as well if it helps anyone.

I had an interview with the University of British Columbia for the Ph.D.  in Cinema and Media Studies. I was invited on January 14 and the interviews seemed to take place between monday January 25 and wednesday January 27. They got back to me 2 days after and asked me to apply for a special UBC scholarship to help with funding, but there hasn't been official offer yet. They emailed me again a couple of days ago, telling me I would hear back in a few weeks.

I was officially accepted into the University of Toronto's Cinema Studies Institute Ph.D. without any interview on February 5. They want to meet me to tell me about the offer.

Hope this helps!

Hey there - do you know if the casual interview was for all the short-listed candidates? I had informal zoom office hours w/ one of my POIs prior to the application deadline and I'm wondering if b/c of that I wasn't contacted for casual interview rounds. Any insights? I also contacted UT today and they said due to the massive snow storm the decisions will be likely be delayed and feel free to contact them again in early March if I still haven't heard back from them. 

9 hours ago, Kim2016 said:

Hey there - do you know if the casual interview was for all the short-listed candidates? I had informal zoom office hours w/ one of my POIs prior to the application deadline and I'm wondering if b/c of that I wasn't contacted for casual interview rounds. Any insights? I also contacted UT today and they said due to the massive snow storm the decisions will be likely be delayed and feel free to contact them again in early March if I still haven't heard back from them. 

Hi, 

Quite honestly, I have no idea, and it would just be a hypothesis to speculate. Only the department knows. All I can tell you is that I hadn't had a Zoom meeting before the application deadline. I haven't heard anything since the interview. I wish you the best and hope it works out for us both, fingers crossed! ?

8 hours ago, Elusively said:

Hi, 

Quite honestly, I have no idea, and it would just be a hypothesis to speculate. Only the department knows. All I can tell you is that I hadn't had a Zoom meeting before the application deadline. I haven't heard anything since the interview. I wish you the best and hope it works out for us both, fingers crossed! ?

Thanks for the intel. Good luck to both of us :)

On 2/4/2021 at 12:24 PM, graceful said:

Ah I see, I mailed their generic department email rfa@berkeley! Not sure if that was the email you contacted but they were really quick.

I sent them an email asking my status and haven't heard back yet! 

7 hours ago, Kim2016 said:

Anyone applied to NYU Tisch? Do you know when they will roll out the decisions? Is there interview for short-listed candidates? 

I applied and haven't heard anything yet. It looks like historically they are rolled out in March, but who knows given COVID.