2021 Ford Foundation Fellowship

soupnazi

I applied for the dissertation fellowship. The FAQ on the Ford website is vague about when to expect to hear back--it just says "by April." The other two fellowships to which I applied, Mellon/ACLS and AAUW, say to expect to hear back in late March and April 15th, respectively. So it's going to be a long month and a half ?

I applied for the predoctoral, but I have little hope since they haven't given one in my discipline since 2000 lol. Also, I think there might be a hope for March--it says notification in March 2021 in one of the pdf brochures on the website (though April on the actual website, so it depends on what you want to believe). 

@ebp As someone in an interdisciplinary field, I am also hesitant to get my hopes up. I can’t recall when they last awarded a Predoctoral to an interdisciplinary field, and I think I can probably count on one hand how many times they have done so... ever. Nevertheless, I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

I also noticed that the website specified that awards should be announced by the end of March. So, there’s that.

Well, 

On 2/22/2021 at 4:14 PM, soupnazi said:

@ebp As someone in an interdisciplinary field, I am also hesitant to get my hopes up. I can’t recall when they last awarded a Predoctoral to an interdisciplinary field, and I think I can probably count on one hand how many times they have done so... ever. Nevertheless, I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

I also noticed that the website specified that awards should be announced by the end of March. So, there’s that.

Well, I'm wishing you luck! 

On 2/22/2021 at 4:14 PM, soupnazi said:

There's quite few on the honorable mention list: http://nrc58.nas.edu/FordFellows20/ExtRpts/PressReleaseRoster.aspx?RptMode=HM&CompYr=2020

18 hours ago, fauna876 said:

Very true! Thanks for sharing this reminder. But I do wish more had won the thing. Like @anxiousgrad, I am anxious that even the Honorable Mentions came from places like Yale! Haha. 

Edited by soupnazi

On 3/8/2021 at 1:10 AM, Asmaa Elsayed said:

Last year, they received the emails on the 19th (for predoc)... so maybe in two weeks or less? 

It looks like they received word on March 15th in 2019! ...but on the 28th in 2018 ? 

50 minutes ago, Grad19 said:

Found the link below. Crossing my fingers for all of us!

Science Review Panels Agenda

Hmm, since that's the "Science Review Panel," maybe that's only for certain fellowships (like the predoc)? I'm in the humanities and applied for the dissertation fellowship. But that's a good sign that they're probably all convening around this time, as presumably there would be different panels for each type of fellowship. 

41 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

Hmm, since that's the "Science Review Panel," maybe that's only for certain fellowships (like the predoc)? I'm in the humanities and applied for the dissertation fellowship. But that's a good sign that they're probably all convening around this time, as presumably there would be different panels for each type of fellowship. 

Yes, I was thinking the same. None of the humanities or social science disciplines—except education— are there.