UW Evans MPA Fall 2021

grx

1 hour ago, qrrcl said:

This is so exciting!!! Congrats everyone!! How high is UW on the list for y'all to go there? 

42 minutes ago, Tbones1421 said:

UW was my top school so I am pretty excited. 

UW is really high on my list! I'm from Western Washington and trying to work back in my hometown after I graduate. I also want to work with some very specific organizations in Seattle, so this is going to be a really difficult choice to make come April.

1 hour ago, qrrcl said:

This is so exciting!!! Congrats everyone!! How high is UW on the list for y'all to go there? 

UW was my top choice too. I only applied to Evans (for a number of COVID and non-COVID reasons) and I'm a WA resident, so it just made the most sense to me.

I haven't received an email yet either, but just logged onto the application portal and saw 'congratulations on the offer'! For anyone who received an email with funding information, did the application portal also mention anything about funding? Congratulations to everyone who got in!!

32 minutes ago, geh97 said:

I haven't received an email yet either, but just logged onto the application portal and saw 'congratulations on the offer'! For anyone who received an email with funding information, did the application portal also mention anything about funding? Congratulations to everyone who got in!!

My email detailed my fellowship and funding info, but the portal did not.

Just got the official email of congratulations! So thrilled. In-state tuition already makes this program more affordable for me, but no offer of extra funding, sadly. (Not surprised — if it's based off of undergrad GPA, mine was on the lower end of the 3.0 range and I've been out of school a decade.) 

3 hours ago, Thanapoomped said:

Hi there, Fellows
Congratulation to those you got in!
It seems like most of you guys here are in-state residents. I am wondering if there are any of you guys who got accepted in and are international applicants?

Hi! I am an international applicant and I got accepted :) 

Got the email the other day accepted but with zero funding which is essentially a rejection for an out of state student like myself. Pretty depressing. I like UW and I guess I should be happy I got admitted but it would be very hard to justify paying sticker price/betting on getting a ta position in my second year. Perhaps I'd pay sticker for UCB or Michigan but UW just doesn't seem worth it. Somewhat surprised given I had strong gpa and work experience but I guess it's a tough year.

Edited by Mogwai

I just got my email acceptance letter as well, no funding offered. I am out of state so this is really disappointing since this was my first choice and I can’t afford the full sticker price. Congratulations to everyone who got in, and best of luck to everyone who’s still waiting!

I'm curious - did y'all who got acceptances/congrats in portals apply to a specific program in the MPA degree? I've been checking both the portal and email and still have nothing - i know other schools often time send out notices in program/specialization waves so thought maybe the same here...? (I am impatient hahaha)

1 hour ago, joolsleonore said:

I'm curious - did y'all who got acceptances/congrats in portals apply to a specific program in the MPA degree? I've been checking both the portal and email and still have nothing - i know other schools often time send out notices in program/specialization waves so thought maybe the same here...? (I am impatient hahaha)

In my SOP, I indicated I would be interested in pursuing the social policy program option, with electives in the nonprofit management and social innovation program. I can't remember if there was the option to indicate that in the application itself, but if so, I most likely selected the social policy option. Hope that helps!

I got an email from Admissions telling me my GPA is missing from my application? did anyone else get something like this? I'm very confused as my transcript was included and I submitted it in December - I hope my admission isn't contingent on what my GPA was out of context from the classes I took etc... Feeling not positive about this one... 

19 hours ago, joolsleonore said:

I remember choosing the environmental track in the application and it even had me choose a 2nd option and I did something along the lines of social justice.

17 hours ago, joolsleonore said:

I got an email from Admissions telling me my GPA is missing from my application? did anyone else get something like this? I'm very confused as my transcript was included and I submitted it in December - I hope my admission isn't contingent on what my GPA was out of context from the classes I took etc... Feeling not positive about this one... 

Oh man I didn't get anything like this but I hope it means they are really taking a look at you?

46 minutes ago, RiskTakerFool said:

Anyone who was not offered fellowships, stipends, or in-state tuition, what is your plan? Is the MPA worth student loan debt to you?

I'm an out of state student! I was told by some students at Evans that even if I didn't receive a certain fellowship or stipend, that I should just automatically start applying to GSAs, RAs, and TA-ships. I don't know how competitive they are, but I'm going to contact the office and attend some of the admit student sessions to ask more specifically about the likelihood of receiving a tuition waiver and health insurance through ASE positions.

I personally am not comfortable taking on substantial debt to attend any policy school, Evans included.

Out of state with no aid. Generally agree with Twiste. It seems like a lot of the top ranked state schools aren't great with financial aid for MPPs or MPAs but do have a decent amount of student worker positions that can help a lot. I might be willing to make the leap of faith for my top choice but not for UW.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 11:07 AM, Shantaram said:

Is anyone still waiting on an admissions decision from Evans? The application portal status has been on 'Submitted' since I applied at the end of December.

Have you received a response yet?

22 minutes ago, qrrcl said:

Have you received a response yet?

Yeah, I was waitlisted a few days ago in a fairly comical way. The email subject line from UW Admissions said 'Congratulations!' and then the body of the email said, in more words than this, 'You've been waitlisted.' It would probably have been less funny if I wasn't fortunate enough to have a couple of other acceptances. Congratulations to everyone who made it in and best of luck to you all in your respective MPA/MPP programs!