2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

Two results for WUSTL up in Draft! I didn't apply there, but I know many here did. Apparently the acceptance and waitlist in the group both came via email.

EDIT: Two fiction acceptances, a poetry acceptance, a CNF acceptance, a CNF waitlist, and a poetry waitlist are what has been posted!

Edited by Rm714
new information

Just now, Rm714 said:

Two results for WUSTL up in Draft! I didn't apply there, but I know many here did. Apparently the acceptance and waitlist in the group both came via email.

Is it safe to assume all WUSTL notifications went out at once? Or are notifications typically staggered? 

5 minutes ago, noelle17 said:

Is it safe to assume all WUSTL notifications went out at once? Or are notifications typically staggered? 

From last year's results, it seems acceptances and waitlists went out around the same time (10 February), and rejections went out a little over a week later: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?per_page=20&q=creative+writing+mfa+washington+university+st.+louis&institution=&program=&degree=&page=2 

It's hard to say anything for certain, though, and I didn't apply there nor am I associated with the school in any way, so please don't take my word for absolute!

1 minute ago, MDP said:

Is it just me or is this a little early for schools notifying? Feels like the floodgates have opened! So exciting and scary!!

It does feel early. I am feeling..emotions.

3 minutes ago, Rm714 said:

It does feel early. I am feeling..emotions.

Ditto :wacko::( I almost prefer the not knowing for now...Schrodinger's App...I am both admitted and rejected until observed, lol

Just now, MDP said:

Ditto :wacko::( I almost prefer the not knowing for now...Schrodinger's App...I am both admitted and rejected until observed, lol

I hate the "not knowing," but I feel I'll end up preferring it if I get a rejection next! Like many writers, I've a terrible tendency towards overthinking absolutely everything. I've got a spreadsheet of the past notification dates for all the universities I applied to, but with these super-early notifications from big schools, it's hard to say they'll even be accurate! I told myself I wouldn't start freaking out until the week after next, but it seems I may have been presumptuous!

30 minutes ago, Rm714 said:

I hate the "not knowing," but I feel I'll end up preferring it if I get a rejection next! Like many writers, I've a terrible tendency towards overthinking absolutely everything. I've got a spreadsheet of the past notification dates for all the universities I applied to, but with these super-early notifications from big schools, it's hard to say they'll even be accurate! I told myself I wouldn't start freaking out until the week after next, but it seems I may have been presumptuous!

Same, same, and same. Sooo freaked. I keep looking back at my sample even though I know I shouldn't and wondering if they even got past the first couple paras.

With the WUSTL acceptances & waitlists, it looks as if this is my fifth rejection. I don't know what I would improve if I did this again next year or in two years, etc. My resume is terrible, my past education is spotty, & my recommenders aren't familiar with my creative writing, but I'm sure the problem lies with my writing sample.

I know my fiction is not good, but I don't know how to move forward. I've been burnt out since mid-fall and not writing at all. There are no communities of literary fiction writers where I live, so I haven't been able to get informed criticism. And I am mystified by the "professional" side of creative writing—where to submit your work, what residencies and fellowships to apply for as an unpublished author.

18 minutes ago, MDP said:

Same, same, and same. Sooo freaked. I keep looking back at my sample even though I know I shouldn't and wondering if they even got past the first couple paras.

I'm starting to think I've read my writing sample more after submitting than before. xD

49 minutes ago, mjr58 said:

I know my fiction is not good, but I don't know how to move forward. I've been burnt out since mid-fall and not writing at all. There are no communities of literary fiction writers where I live, so I haven't been able to get informed criticism. And I am mystified by the "professional" side of creative writing—where to submit your work, what residencies and fellowships to apply for as an unpublished author.

Dm me your email on here! I'm by no means a professional, but I've had fiction/CNF/poetry published in 10 or so publications, and I do a lot of freelance editing on the side. I also learned a bit about reader reports/what publishers look for in a manuscript when I interned at a publisher. I would love to work with you on your writing at no charge. I love helping people grow, and I know it's hard when you feel like you're shooting in the dark. Keep your head up and drop me a line :) 

Edited by MDP

Hi All,

This is getting quite tedious.

The report feature is for actual spam, egregious personal insults, threats, and the like. It is not for posts with which you disagree, or which say things (true or not) which you are uninterested in hearing. You have a downvote button for that, and your own ability not to engage. 

Continued abuse of the reporting feature in the attempt to silence those with which you disagree, particularly under the flimsy and transparent guise of concern for the community, will, however, be subject to moderation. 

-T

47 minutes ago, koechophe said:

A user on Draft posted an acceptance from John Hopkins in Poetry. Pretty impressed at how early that was, but good for them!

Hi, sorry if this has an obvious answer, but I am a new applicant who has just found this site and I saw multiple mentions of Draft, but I can't seem to find it no matter what I google; could I get a link? Thanks so much!

16 minutes ago, RosA-R said:

Hi, sorry if this has an obvious answer, but I am a new applicant who has just found this site and I saw multiple mentions of Draft, but I can't seem to find it no matter what I google; could I get a link? Thanks so much!

No worries, I asked the same question last year.

So MFA Draft is a facebook group where people post/discuss admissions. 

It's a private group, so you'll have to request an invite, and it can take some time to get in. 

Here's the link to it https://www.facebook.com/groups/1018484244926541/

Also, good luck!

Edited by koechophe

1 minute ago, koechophe said:

No worries, I asked the same question last year.

So MFA Draft is a facebook group where people post/discuss admissions. 

It's a private group, so you'll have to request an invite, and it can take some time to get in. 

Here's the link to it https://www.facebook.com/groups/1018484244926541/

That explains why it was so hard to find, thank you!

Hey everyone! Long time listener, first time caller, but just wanted to share in the excitement of yet another MFA season. Applied to seven programs, got the rejection from Northwestern, and I've been offered full funding from Western Michigan University! In four years of applying, this is my first offer of this nature. Don't give up, keep writing, and read like crazy. And love and forgive yourself too. Anyways, happy February y'all!

On 2/1/2022 at 4:02 PM, mjr58 said:

I'm pretty sure I'm staring down the barrel of over a dozen straight-up rejections.

After two of my schools have posted acceptances, and radio silence so far in my inbox, the dread that I may be bracing myself for 15 rejection emails is growing heavier by the day. What are people doing to stay positive?

On 2/2/2022 at 12:40 PM, xenawins said:

Ohhhhh! I was just informed I made the waitlist for UTennessee in fiction! :D 

This is great news! Fingers crossed for you that you're close to the top of that list, and it turns out you make it into the program. : )

On 2/3/2022 at 4:09 PM, poem for her said:

just found out i got into northwestern for fiction this week (still in shock)! my first response so far. wishing everyone good vibes + good luck as decisions continue to roll in!

Congratulations!!! And thanks for the good vibes! I think we could all use it right now. : )

On 2/3/2022 at 5:56 PM, Ydrl said:

Got into fsu!!!

Congratulations!!!! I'm so very happy for you. We've all been rooting for you to be able to switch programs and find yourself in a more inclusive and supportive workshop environment. I've heard great things about FSU in this regard. Plus, I just want to take the time to thank you for being so supportive on this community forum. It really means a lot, especially someone who has never applied to MFA programs before this year. 

22 hours ago, Rm714 said:

Feeling super bummed today. WUSTL was my top choice--no email. And no email from University of Oregon. By induction, I can infer two rejections so far. : ( : ( This is going to be a tough month. I kept telling people, "I'm expecting not to get into any programs," to keep my expectations low. Now that statement is all I can hear, ringing in my ears. My boyfriend keeps telling me I can't measure my talent and potential as a writer based on whether I get in, but how can I not? I poured my heart and soul into those applications. I keep binge watching shows on my days off. I literally binged on Ozark yesterday for 17 hours yesterday--I kid you not. Luckily I'm a nurse, and my 12 hour shifts are too busy to dwell and ruminate on work days. So much for telling myself to learn a new hobby during this time!

This is the third time I've applied to grad school. The first time, it was for an MFA in Acting when I was in my twenties. Back then, I got one callback, but ultimately all rejections. I only applied to three of the top schools at the time, which I realize now was a mistake. Then last year, I applied to become a Nurse Practitioner. I only applied to UT--Austin, because I didn't want to leave my hometown or do an online program for a terminal nursing degree. Second rejection. I didn't even get an interview. This time, knowing that poetry is where my heart and soul reside, I applied to fifteen schools. If I don't get into any...ugh...I don't even want to finish that sentence. Sorry ahead of time for the rant. I don't usually dumb on complete strangers I've never met.