2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

53 minutes ago, MissMosquito said:

This is the third time I've applied to grad school. The first time, it was for an MFA in Acting when I was in my twenties. Back then, I got one callback, but ultimately all rejections. I only applied to three of the top schools at the time, which I realize now was a mistake. Then last year, I applied to become a Nurse Practitioner. I only applied to UT--Austin, because I didn't want to leave my hometown or do an online program for a terminal nursing degree. Second rejection. I didn't even get an interview. This time, knowing that poetry is where my heart and soul reside, I applied to fifteen schools. If I don't get into any...ugh...I don't even want to finish that sentence. Sorry ahead of time for the rant. I don't usually dumb on complete strangers I've never met.

I'm so sorry you're feeling down. And no need to apologize for ranting, that's part of what this forum is for! Writing is a field full of rejection, many have told me that – but it doesn't take all of the pain away, it still stings. I'm sorry you've experienced rejection with other fields you loved - my teenage years were full of that, and it pushed me into a field I hated and ended up leaving (for writing, of all things)! I wouldn't abandon hope just yet, but of course it's always good to have a backup plan. If you know poetry is where your heart and soul reside, it could be well worth it to look into workshops and fellowships! That way, you still have something to be excited for even if the worst happens.

1 hour ago, MissMosquito said:

Feeling super bummed today. WUSTL was my top choice--no email. And no email from University of Oregon. By induction, I can infer two rejections so far. : ( : ( This is going to be a tough month. I kept telling people, "I'm expecting not to get into any programs," to keep my expectations low. Now that statement is all I can hear, ringing in my ears. My boyfriend keeps telling me I can't measure my talent and potential as a writer based on whether I get in, but how can I not? I poured my heart and soul into those applications.

I know exactly how you feel. FSU is one of my top schools and I haven't heard anything from them yet... it's starting to freak me out a lot. I simultaneously don't want to think about this at all just to keep my sanity and yet it's the only thing I do, especially when I'm on my phone or laptop, feverishly checking my email, application, this forum, the results page, or Draft. This process feels like an uphill battle... I suppose we can only hope it all works out in the end, we've done all we can do! 

14 hours ago, MissMosquito said:

Feeling super bummed today. WUSTL was my top choice--no email. And no email from University of Oregon. By induction, I can infer two rejections so far. : ( : ( This is going to be a tough month. I kept telling people, "I'm expecting not to get into any programs," to keep my expectations low. Now that statement is all I can hear, ringing in my ears. My boyfriend keeps telling me I can't measure my talent and potential as a writer based on whether I get in, but how can I not? I poured my heart and soul into those applications. I keep binge watching shows on my days off. I literally binged on Ozark yesterday for 17 hours yesterday--I kid you not. Luckily I'm a nurse, and my 12 hour shifts are too busy to dwell and ruminate on work days. So much for telling myself to learn a new hobby during this time!

Honestly I'm just really impressed that you're a nurse, especially at a time like this, so I have to express my thanks and admiration. I feel like you're already doing 100x more meaningful work than most people doing an MFA, and you should be proud even if a bunch of admissions committees with very particular tastes don't consider your writing a good fit for the direction of their program this year. So many genuinely talented authors aren't going to make it into programs due to a myriad of factors that don't actually have much to do with the objective quality of their writing. It really is a crapshoot.

15 hours ago, MissMosquito said:

Feeling super bummed today. WUSTL was my top choice--no email. And no email from University of Oregon. By induction, I can infer two rejections so far. : ( : ( This is going to be a tough month. I kept telling people, "I'm expecting not to get into any programs," to keep my expectations low. Now that statement is all I can hear, ringing in my ears. My boyfriend keeps telling me I can't measure my talent and potential as a writer based on whether I get in, but how can I not? I poured my heart and soul into those applications. I keep binge watching shows on my days off. I literally binged on Ozark yesterday for 17 hours yesterday--I kid you not. Luckily I'm a nurse, and my 12 hour shifts are too busy to dwell and ruminate on work days. So much for telling myself to learn a new hobby during this time!

your boyfriend is 100% right. mfa programs are notoriously selective and that selectivity is influenced by so many different factors, most of which are totally subjective. programs like brown, for example, are well-known for only taking applicants whose work tends towards the avant garde/experimental, + many programs also look for evidence that you're committed to your craft and will be able to handle structured writing for the next 2-3 years (i.e. writing retreats, workshops, digitally published work, undergraduate awards, etc.). they'll also be looking for signs that you aren't a conventional reader, and that you'll fit well in a workshop setting (that you have the foundational knowledge "needed" to critique others constructively); one of the first pieces of application advice i received from a creative writing professor during undergrad was to cite 2-4 writing inspirations in my personal statement that you would never see on a classroom syllabus (so none of the classics, no gabriel garcía márquez or toni morrison, definitely not harry potter). programs want to know that you're actively reading and writing (and that you're reading/writing new stuff), in addition to having writing that stylistically aligns with their creative vision. and even still, none of this is foolproof.

to be completely candid, i wrote a 50-page fiction thesis during undergrad that won a departmental award, and even i was told by mentors not to expect to get into any of the mfa programs i applied to. having talent, a demonstrated commitment to reading/writing, and a reason to go to grad school is only half of the battle. the other half is almost always luck—and therefore completely out of your hands.

whatever happens come march/april, i hope you know that it says nothing about whether you can or should be a writer! mfa programs receive far more talent than they can accept, so they're turning away hundreds of applicants whose work they enjoy every year. not only are they looking for that stylistic alignment, they're also working to create a cohort that they believe meshes well creatively + will get along. in other words, the variables are endless and often not in the average writer's favor.

poetry is even more nebulous than fiction, so i can't imagine what you're feeling right now, but i just wanted to say this so you know that rejections don't mean you're untalented or unskilled. i hope you continue to feel fulfilled by your craft + keep writing regardless of what happens, and i'm wishing you some successful distractions to get you through the next few weeks. best of luck and thank you for your service as a nurse ❤️

Edited by poem for her

14 hours ago, MissMosquito said:

My boyfriend keeps telling me I can't measure my talent and potential as a writer based on whether I get in, but how can I not? I poured my heart and soul into those applications.

It's going to hit your self-confidence. There is no way around the fact that rejection will hit your perception of your work.

But I can promise, once you have resolution for this season, once you know an answer, you'll be able to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and continue on your path. I got straight rejections last year, and it was hard, but I was able to move forward. 

Please, trust me, when you know what you're dealing with, it will be much easier to actually deal with it. Even if worse comes to worse and it's straight rejections, you'll be better off than you are during the waiting period.

Try to be kind to yourself, do what you need to do to get through it, and I promise, it'll be much better once it's all over, no matter what happens.

@Rm714@koechophe@poem for her

@fireflystasis

Thank you all for your supportive comments. I'm sure we as writers know that words matter. They have power. This forum has been a godsend as I wait for decisions from schools. I'm used to rejection from my acting days, as well as all the submitting I do for publication. There is an added sting and weight to the rejection when you spend almost a grand on application fees. I know I will keep writing my lines of verse as inspiration hits and develop a more regimented writing practice in time--with or without an MFA degree. I'm aching for a writing community. Not many of my friends are writers. I didn't study English or creative writing in college, and I'm close to 15 years out from my first bachelor degree. I used to go to literary readings and open mics around town, but COVID has squelched that outlet for now. I think the hardest part of this month is this stagnant limbo of unknown. My boyfriend Matt and I can't make any plans because we don't know where we'll be yet come August. I guess I just have to take one day at a time, and try my best to focus on other areas of life. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for everyone on this forum as more results come rolling in. Ever grateful for this community. 

9 hours ago, poem for her said:

one of the first pieces of application advice i received from a creative writing professor during undergrad was to cite 2-4 writing inspirations in my personal statement that you would never see on a classroom syllabus

Oof. I wish someone had given me this advice when I was working on apps. I don't have any close contact with poetry professors being so far out of my undergraduate career, so my app prep was done almost entirely in the dark. I did cite verse that inspires me when universities prompted, but otherwise did not due to SOP word count limits--Virginia Tech had by far the shortest word limit with a barrage of questions they wanted answered within such confining restraints. While I understand it's important to show a breadth of reading and familiarity of lesser known poets, I felt it was more important to reference poems that are actual favorites. As many others have mentioned, I have also fallen victim to reading and rereading my SOP/Writing Samples for different apps, and I have one positive take away. Even if I receive across the board rejections, I'm damn proud of my writing samples and SOPs. I know that I submitted the best applications I could have thus far in my writing career. Everything else is left to subjectivity and chance as you say.

10 hours ago, fireflystasis said:

Honestly I'm just really impressed that you're a nurse, especially at a time like this, so I have to express my thanks and admiration. I feel like you're already doing 100x more meaningful work than most people doing an MFA

Thanks for the commendation. It's been a tough two years and counting. That's for sure. I love helping my community in a meaningful way. I'm passionate about what I do as a psychiatric nurse, and much of my poetry is psych related. The first book I publish will be on themes of mental illness and recovery--whenever that happens, but it's good to have clearly delineated goals.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:40 PM, Rm714 said:

I'm starting to think I've read my writing sample more after submitting than before. xD

Same here. I found a typo, a word repetition, in my UT app that is killing me!

23 hours ago, Rm714 said:

If you know poetry is where your heart and soul reside, it could be well worth it to look into workshops and fellowships! That way, you still have something to be excited for even if the worst happens.

Thanks for the idea. I've considered this, but decided last month that I was still too drained to apply to workshops/fellowships just yet. Maybe it's time now. Any good ones you could suggest?

Hi all- 

New here, first year applying. 

I have only applied to 4 schools so far,  I most likely have to do a low-residency program because I cannot move (kid) so I have applied to two that I could commute to and the rest will all be Low Res. I have 4 more on my list to apply to but the apps aren't due till March 1st and I am going to avoid spending the time/money if I get news of first choices before then. 

So- that said. I have only heard back from one school so far, but was asked to interview! 

My prof said that this means I am almost in—barring I don't make a fool of myself. 

I am wondering what you all think? 

Does an interview usually mean you are in/and or they are considering funding you? 

Does an interview usually mean that I can expect more interviews/possible acceptances? I am hoping this means I can hope a little harder for my first choice. 

Words of wisdom? 

Good luck to all! 

M

7 hours ago, MRF said:

Hi all- 

New here, first year applying. 

I have only applied to 4 schools so far,  I most likely have to do a low-residency program because I cannot move (kid) so I have applied to two that I could commute to and the rest will all be Low Res. I have 4 more on my list to apply to but the apps aren't due till March 1st and I am going to avoid spending the time/money if I get news of first choices before then. 

So- that said. I have only heard back from one school so far, but was asked to interview! 

My prof said that this means I am almost in—barring I don't make a fool of myself. 

I am wondering what you all think? 

Does an interview usually mean you are in/and or they are considering funding you? 

Does an interview usually mean that I can expect more interviews/possible acceptances? I am hoping this means I can hope a little harder for my first choice. 

Words of wisdom? 

Good luck to all! 

M

Hello M,

Welcome and congrats on the interview! What program granted you an interview may I ask? I think it certainly bodes well for the rest of your pending decisions. At the very least, it tells you they judged your writing sample to be competitive. Granted, do take my advice with a grain of salt, the salt being that I'm offering wisdom without experience--a similar perspective as yours being my first year applying to MFA programs as well. Though, I'm not sure who on this forum would know the number of applicants a particular institution may invite to interview compared to the number of slots available in a genre. Likely, only admissions committee members of that institution know those details. No amount of scouring the internet on my part has produced that information. I assume this aspect of application decision-making would be as variable as the application itself. I myself found each application to be unique to the university and its department culture. What genre are you applying to study? What schools did you apply?

Best, J

2 hours ago, MissMosquito said:

Thanks for the commendation. It's been a tough two years and counting. That's for sure. I love helping my community in a meaningful way. I'm passionate about what I do as a psychiatric nurse, and much of my poetry is psych related. The first book I publish will be on themes of mental illness and recovery--whenever that happens, but it's good to have clearly delineated goals.

Thank you for your work and all you do for the community. I'm a mental health therapist and the situation in my region is dire, desperate, and underfunded in every possible way. Your work is important and I also incorporate these themes as they have shaped so much of my life, personal and professional. Encouraging meaningful life and instilling hope remains one of the most powerful acts I think we can do as human beings. 

57 minutes ago, MRF said:

Words of wisdom? 

Congratulations on the interview! I would also imagine (contributing my own grains of inexperienced salt) that them taking the time to interview you means that the rest of your application was promising. I don't imagine they have the additional time to interview anyone they're not seriously considering. They may also be interviewing you to get a sense of that intangible essence of "fit" when it comes to the culture of their program and how they operate. Regardless of writing talent, not everyone will be a good fit for every place. I actually appreciate the idea of interviews because it also gives -you- an opportunity to interview -them- and better decide if this is the institution you want to commit such considerable time and energy to. I'll give the interviewing advice I have offered others, just as ideas to consider (YMMV):

- ask your own questions, especially (in this instance) about funding, teaching expectations, if any, and costs not reflected or captured in the funding offered

- what about their program are they most proud of? what are the challenges/growth opportunities they see for their program?

- what have their alumni gone on to do? is their program more geared toward supporting future educators, publishing, and/or literary prestige? I imagine a lot of them might say "all of the above" but it's still helpful to get a sense of what kind of education you might receive in these different areas and align them with your own personal goals. Some programs have extensive opportunities to learn about publishing, for example, while others have a cursory one-class option once a year kind of thing.

- are there opportunities to connect with the writing community outside of the institution?

- do they provide funding options for development, such as funding conferences/trainings, international trips, and/or scholarships/fellowships for special projects.

- what can you expect regarding timeline after the interview? what do next steps look like?

- are there themes, subjects of emphasis, or specific qualifications they are considering as they build their cohort? (this could give you insight into what kinds of things/people you might see in the workshop space)

- as you are a parent, asking additional questions about university support (such as childcare on-campus) might be helpful. Also, how have other parents fared in the program? I've noticed some programs are much more holistic about the contesting demands on their students, while others (IMO) have had extremely unrealistic expectations for students, regardless of other responsibilities.

Again, congratulations and best wishes on the interviewing process! :D

12 hours ago, Roalddahli said:

@MissMosquito What kind of workshop are you looking for?

I'm not sure. I've never applied to a summer workshop or fellowship. I'm assuming fellowships are for more established and well published poets. I don't know how hard the summer workshops are to get into. I guess one that is equally reputable and receptive to relatively new poets.

Apparently Syracuse acceptances and waitlist notifications have gone out - 6 acceptances, 6 waitlists. Good luck to everyone who applied there!

EDIT: Information is from a post in Draft a few minutes ago

EDIT 2: These were for poetry.

Edited by Rm714
information

40 minutes ago, Rm714 said:

Apparently Syracuse acceptances and waitlist notifications have gone out - 6 acceptances, 6 waitlists. Good luck to everyone who applied there!

EDIT: Information is from a post in Draft a few minutes ago.

So do acceptances and waitlists go out all at once? 

Could anyone tell me if there have been multiple acceptances to the University of South Carolina for fiction? 

Thank you.