PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

Just got my first acceptance, CUNY SPH Environmental and Planetary Health PhD! They want a decision by 3/21/22

I am still waiting to hear anything from: SDSU/UCSD Health Behavior, UCLA Community Health Sciences, and UIC Community Health Sciences

Does anyone have any insight on if I should reach out to these programs or not? I am concerned that I won't hear back by 3/21/22 and want all of the information before I make a decision.

Good luck to everyone!

For those waiting on Indiana University DrPH decisions I received an email that they have completed the initial review of applications and will be reaching out to schedule interviews. It sounds like the selection process was very competitive, so I'm thrilled to make it to this point. Fingers crossed for everyone waiting to hear back from this program!

2 hours ago, jrob_phphd said:

Just got my first acceptance, CUNY SPH Environmental and Planetary Health PhD! They want a decision by 3/21/22

I am still waiting to hear anything from: SDSU/UCSD Health Behavior, UCLA Community Health Sciences, and UIC Community Health Sciences

Does anyone have any insight on if I should reach out to these programs or not? I am concerned that I won't hear back by 3/21/22 and want all of the information before I make a decision.

Good luck to everyone!

congrats on your acceptance!! I am also waiting to hear back from UCLA and SDSU/UCSD. Based on previous years' threads, I noticed that SDSU/UCSD releases so late compared to other programs.. like mid/end of march ? I'm not sure what the etiquette is for reaching out to schools, but since you are on a time crunch, it may not hurt to ask!

17 minutes ago, PH2022 said:

For those waiting on Indiana University DrPH decisions I received an email that they have completed the initial review of applications and will be reaching out to schedule interviews. It sounds like the selection process was very competitive, so I'm thrilled to make it to this point. Fingers crossed for everyone waiting to hear back from this program!

I also got the same email regarding completion of first review and start of an interview process. Best of luck to you on your interview!

1 minute ago, FuturePhDPls said:

congrats on your acceptance!! I am also waiting to hear back from UCLA and SDSU/UCSD. Based on previous years' threads, I noticed that SDSU/UCSD releases so late compared to other programs.. like mid/end of march ? I'm not sure what the etiquette is for reaching out to schools, but since you are on a time crunch, it may not hurt to ask!

Thanks! Yeah I think I'll probably be reaching out sometime next week to see if I can get any info. I hope you hear back soon as well!

27 minutes ago, DrPH Hopeful 2022 said:

I also got the same email regarding completion of first review and start of an interview process. Best of luck to you on your interview!

Congratulations and good luck to you as well! It felt like such a long wait to get this update to our application!

Hi all,

I applied to UCLA Epi (Epidemiology) PhD program and haven't heard back from the school.

Could anyone answer to my questions below? (I'm afraid to email the admissions office since they might already be receiving hundreds of emails everyday, and sending a request for update might give them a bad impression of me.)

1. Are there some applicants who got interview offers or official/unofficial acceptance? I think I've seen some applicants in the search results.

2. And as I haven't heard back from the school by now, should I consider this as a potential rejection?

3. Did some of you hear back from the office about when they will be releasing admission results for this program?

Thank you very much for reading and fingers crossed to everyone here :) 

59 minutes ago, EPI__PHD_International said:

Hi all,

I applied to UCLA Epi (Epidemiology) PhD program and haven't heard back from the school.

Could anyone answer to my questions below? (I'm afraid to email the admissions office since they might already be receiving hundreds of emails everyday, and sending a request for update might give them a bad impression of me.)

1. Are there some applicants who got interview offers or official/unofficial acceptance? I think I've seen some applicants in the search results.

2. And as I haven't heard back from the school by now, should I consider this as a potential rejection?

3. Did some of you hear back from the office about when they will be releasing admission results for this program?

Thank you very much for reading and fingers crossed to everyone here :) 

Hi, I'm sorry you haven't heard anything yet - that can be very stressful. I received an unofficial acceptance a few weeks ago after being contacted for an interview. I am still waiting for the finalized funding package in writing. To my understanding, the program is rolling admissions, so there's a chance you'll still hear back. 

4 hours ago, epi_queeen said:

Hi, I'm sorry you haven't heard anything yet - that can be very stressful. I received an unofficial acceptance a few weeks ago after being contacted for an interview. I am still waiting for the finalized funding package in writing. To my understanding, the program is rolling admissions, so there's a chance you'll still hear back. 

Thank you for your message!

And congratulations! I hope the funding also works out well for you.

Edited by EPI__PHD_International

Joining the JHU DrPH rejection club (Global Health: Policy & Evaluation track). Not gonna lie, this one stings. I thought my application was quite strong. Oh well, waiting to hear from Columbia's Global Health & Humanitarian Systems program before I call an end to this crazy application cycle! Anyone else interview with Columbia DrPH and hear back yet? It sounds like this track in particular doesn't even admit students every cycle and only admits a small number, so trying not to get my hopes up...

Program update:

Accepted: Boston University (50% tuition scholarship), Georgia State University

Waiting: Columbia University (interviewed), Indiana University (invited for interview in next 2 weeks), UIC (no interview, expecting rejection since they are mainly a domestic program)

Rejected: Johns Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, Emory (PhD in Global Health)

17 minutes ago, DrPH Hopeful 2022 said:

Joining the JHU DrPH rejection club (Global Health: Policy & Evaluation track). Not gonna lie, this one stings. I thought my application was quite strong.

I felt the same. Also, they admit so many students compared to other programs, but also have a ton apply so... yeah oh well. 

I think I'm going to Rutgers. And I can't believe I haven't seen anyone else get decisions from them. Maybe I've missed something? 

So far:

Accepted: Rutgers

Rejected: UNC, Hopkins

Waiting: UIC

UIC is a great program, but Rutgers just speaks to be a bit more so I'm about ready to confirm even without hearing from UIC. I'm glad to have the Hopkins decision out of the way. This does seem like an extra crazy cycle. I've been waiting to apply for my DrPH since I finished my MPH in 2015 (was busy with work and making 2 humans), so I've been keeping an eye on them and they've really gotten a lot tougher to get into, it seems! 

57 minutes ago, DrPH Hopeful 2022 said:

Joining the JHU DrPH rejection club (Global Health: Policy & Evaluation track). Not gonna lie, this one stings. I thought my application was quite strong. Oh well, waiting to hear from Columbia's Global Health & Humanitarian Systems program before I call an end to this crazy application cycle! Anyone else interview with Columbia DrPH and hear back yet? It sounds like this track in particular doesn't even admit students every cycle and only admits a small number, so trying not to get my hopes up...

Program update:

Accepted: Boston University (50% tuition scholarship), Georgia State University

Waiting: Columbia University (interviewed), Indiana University (invited for interview in next 2 weeks), UIC (no interview, expecting rejection since they are mainly a domestic program)

Rejected: Johns Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, Emory (PhD in Global Health)

Same. I led the Epi department for 3 Manhattan hospitals through the epicenter of COVID, authored an infection control textbook chapter, multiple publications, significant community volunteer assignments since 2011. I don’t know what else I can be doing to make myself a better applicant?

9 minutes ago, h1n1_ said:

Same. I led the Epi department for 3 Manhattan hospitals through the epicenter of COVID, authored an infection control textbook chapter, multiple publications, significant community volunteer assignments since 2011. I don’t know what else I can be doing to make myself a better applicant?

WOW. I'm so sorry. I already knew that COVID has made this field and these programs a whole different beast, but you're an extremely strong applicant! You should know that, regardless of the Hopkins decision. Did you apply anywhere else? 

2 minutes ago, h1n1_ said:

You are so right! You clearly have a stellar CV and experience.  I think it's unfortunate they clearly have some kind of screening in place since they don't interview most applicants. I understand that some tracks just don't accept as many students, and they want to round out their cohorts with different types. This was just yet another crappy year to apply it seems - going into the third year of the pandemic, crazy inflation, etc. that has resulted in yet another record breaking year in sheer number of applicants. 

I hope you get accepted into another stellar program this year, or consider applying next year! It's clear you are already a real public health leader. You deserve the credentials to match :)

50 minutes ago, DrPHPlans said:

I think I'm going to Rutgers. And I can't believe I haven't seen anyone else get decisions from them. Maybe I've missed something? 

So far:

Accepted: Rutgers

Rejected: UNC, Hopkins

Waiting: UIC

UIC is a great program, but Rutgers just speaks to be a bit more so I'm about ready to confirm even without hearing from UIC. I'm glad to have the Hopkins decision out of the way. This does seem like an extra crazy cycle. I've been waiting to apply for my DrPH since I finished my MPH in 2015 (was busy with work and making 2 humans), so I've been keeping an eye on them and they've really gotten a lot tougher to get into, it seems! 

Rutgers sounds like a stellar program! I didn't really hear about them until after application deadlines. I also doubt I'll wait to hear from UIC or Indiana before i confirm elsewhere. UIC isn't the best match for me, and Indiana is a great program for Global Health, but so expensive compared to my other options now. 

Side note: I also have a little human - he's 3.5 years old, and I am both terrified and excited at the thought of juggling a DrPH program, work and raising him. God speed to the both of us :). Maybe this topic deserves it's own dedicated post, lol.