PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

2 hours ago, vancouverrunner said:

Thats such a sweet thing to say. Honestly. I should caveat all of that by saying I am in my mid-thirties and all of that took time. I started by undergrad at 25 after a tough youth. I want a PhD to lead my own research. I am chronically applying for grants for other people, and ignoring the gaps I experience. I love my life though and am able to wait another year. But thought I would chime in to say even us oldies (with lots of experience!) are having a tough time. In a field where everyone is superstars, the stars need to align with a small dose of luck :)

Also a tough youth and didn't start my undergrad until 28. Then did that and 2 masters, now I'm 41. When I was a little kid I wanted a doctorate, but as life unfolded I thought maybe it wasn't actually in the stars for me. Now I get to start one next year. These milestones are really hard for those of us who had to start things later and without any support! But even at 41 to know I get to start the next step, it's incredible. Us "oldies" should get extra credit for still pushing forward. ?

8 minutes ago, BlueberryPi said:

I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant and due in July with my first. ? My partner and I had been told by our MD that we wouldn't be able to have children so you can imagine my surprise when that turned out not to be true. I applied before I knew I was pregnant and (with the help of a supportive partner!) am going to do my best to balance grad school and family life in the fall. I'm sure it will be an occasionally bumpy road, but they've both been lifelong dreams, so.. we will see what happens! 

Congratulations! I'm 39 weeks -- expecting the baby any day now! It'll be a big transition but definitely possible to balance new parenthood with a doctoral program.

1 hour ago, PhDphfinal said:

Hi. Congratulations. I got acceptance letter almost a month back and haven't heard about funding yet. So, I am bit sceptical about mine. Are you an international student? 

I'm a domestic student. I've been in touch directly with my faculty mentor and she sent me an email this weekend saying to expect the funding letter soon. I'd reach out to the department directly to ask!

11 minutes ago, publichealthPhD said:
20 minutes ago, BlueberryPi said:

I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant and due in July with my first. ? My partner and I had been told by our MD that we wouldn't be able to have children so you can imagine my surprise when that turned out not to be true. I applied before I knew I was pregnant and (with the help of a supportive partner!) am going to do my best to balance grad school and family life in the fall. I'm sure it will be an occasionally bumpy road, but they've both been lifelong dreams, so.. we will see what happens! 

Congratulations! I'm 39 weeks -- expecting the baby any day now! It'll be a big transition but definitely possible to balance new parenthood with a doctoral program.

Y'all can crush it!! I got pregnant with my first during the last year of my dual masters program. I've known a lot of folks who have had their first when starting a PhD. It's not easy but nothing worth it is, right? Best of luck!

26 minutes ago, BlueberryPi said:

Congratulations!! what an emotional road, to have that surprise and also starting a doctorate. You can go for all the things! That's what I do. ?

I just got rejected by UCSF epidemiology. welp international student rip. One faculty said I wish to see you soon and the other faculty said I was the exact type of trainee they wanted but funding is very challenging for international student so we should keep in touch no matter what. Last year I was waitlisted, this year I knew it wasn't me. :) 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

1 hour ago, episs2022 said:

When do we should expect to have the notification from Columbia Epi program?

I’m wondering the same. I’m so stressed and confused, tbh. When I had my interview, she said how they only interviewed people they are seriously interested in and she complimented my app and basically said she had no questions of me and I just got to ask questions and she went as far as share tips on housing. So, now that I saw someone got in last night, I’m just at a loss. The wait is unbearable and I don’t know why they would mislead people like that. 

31 minutes ago, cstepi said:

I’m wondering the same. I’m so stressed and confused, tbh. When I had my interview, she said how they only interviewed people they are seriously interested in and she complimented my app and basically said she had no questions of me and I just got to ask questions and she went as far as share tips on housing. So, now that I saw someone got in last night, I’m just at a loss. The wait is unbearable and I don’t know why they would mislead people like that. 

Sorry to hear that! I emailed the office, they said they were still in the process. Presumably you can also email them or the professor who interviewed you. I guess the decision should be released this or next week.

Just got the waitlist notification from Brown BSHS. I was expecting this at this point! Update:

Accepted: JHU SBS (2/23)

Waitlisted: Brown BSHS (3/2)

Rejected: UW Public Policy (3/1)

Pending: Northwestern HSIP (SSH; interviewed twice), UCSD/SDSU Health Behavior, U of Toronto SBHS, U of British Columbia

17 hours ago, kalepotato said:

anyone heard from hopkins PhD in social and behavioral interventions or yale PhD in social and behavioral sciences? interview/acceptance/rejection-wise? 

I just think JHU HBS and SBI are staggering acceptances/waitlists/rejections at this point and not having heard yet isn’t really an indication of anything. I contacted the admissions office yesterday and they said they’re continuing to give responses through March (it sounds like this varies from dept to dept but that’s just the general info I got).

3 hours ago, Public_health_and_cats said:

Just got the waitlist notification from Brown BSHS. I was expecting this at this point! Update:

Pending: Northwestern HSIP (SSH; interviewed twice), UCSD/SDSU Health Behavior, U of Toronto SBHS, U of British Columbia

congrats!!! did you interview at hopkins? 

Hello all,

First time poster, here.  I've applied to several DrPH programs.  Has anyone heard any more from Indiana or UIC?  I contacted Rutgers yesterday.  They said "notification letters for acceptances went out last week.  Rejection letters will be sent shortly."  I'm assuming since I haven't received anything I've been rejected.  Also rejected from JHU and GWU.  I've been accepted to Georgia Southern.  As of now still waiting on something official from Rutgers, and Indiana and UIC.

Good luck everyone!

40 minutes ago, DrPH2022 said:

First time poster, here.  I've applied to several DrPH programs.  Has anyone heard any more from Indiana or UIC?  I contacted Rutgers yesterday.  They said "notification letters for acceptances went out last week.  Rejection letters will be sent shortly."  I'm assuming since I haven't received anything I've been rejected.  Also rejected from JHU and GWU.  I've been accepted to Georgia Southern.  As of now still waiting on something official from Rutgers, and Indiana and UIC.

Congrats on Georgia and Southern! I received an acceptance from Rutgers on 2/16. When I last probed UIC they said decisions would go out in mid-March. That's the last one I'm waiting on, as well. Rejected from JHU Informatics and UNC. (All DrPH)

4 hours ago, Public_health_and_cats said:

I take it back, just received an acceptance to University of British Columbia! I met with two faculty members before the application deadline but hadn't met with anyone since then so this came as a bit of a shock!

(1) Any decisions from UC Berkeley DrPH program? I'm still waiting. The wait is killing me. :) 

(2) I heard they are going to have a Welcome Day on March 14th for new incoming students (Masters, PhDs, and DrPHs). For those who have been accepted, have you received any emails about this event.  

Sending good vibes to those who are still waiting and congratulations to those who have been accepted. 

On 1/21/2022 at 12:07 AM, healtheconphd said:

Hello all! Just discovered GradCafe today and now I hooked!

I applied to the following programs (all health economics tracks) and I've heard back from the first three:

• Johns Hopkins PhD Health Policy & Management (Interviewed on 1/13)
  • Stanford PhD Health Policy (Interviewing on 1/31, 2/4)
  • UPenn Wharton Health Care Management & Economics (Interviewing on 2/11)
  • Harvard PhD Health Policy (no word yet)
  • Yale PhD Health Policy & Management (no word yet)
  • Berkeley PhD Health Policy (no word yet)

Has anyone heard from the latter three? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Update:

• Waitlisted: JHU, Wharton
  • Rejected: Berkeley, Harvard
  • Waiting to hear from: Stanford, Yale

Never interviewed with Yale, but they said I would hear by the end of February (not sure what happened). Interviewed with Stanford and they recently told me I'd hear within two weeks.

6 hours ago, healtheconphd said:

Update:

• Waitlisted: JHU, Wharton
  • Rejected: Berkeley, Harvard
  • Waiting to hear from: Stanford, Yale

Never interviewed with Yale, but they said I would hear by the end of February (not sure what happened). Interviewed with Stanford and they recently told me I'd hear within two weeks.

I reached out to UNMC yesterday because I was supposed to hear in mid-Feb, either way, and they said their process was delayed because there was technical issues with accessing SOPHAS for over a week. I do not know if it was just for them or if it was on SOPHAS' side but could explain why there has been a delay on hearing from majority of DrPH schools.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:36 AM, NervousPotato said:

I received a rejection from Vanderbilt's Health Policy PhD program. Congratulations to those who made it.

Recap thus far, for posterity (all are PhD programs):

2 Acceptances: Duke PHS, GW HP
1 Waitlist: Brandeis SP(H)
9 Rejections: Harvard HP, Vanderbilt HP, Brown HSR, Minnesota HSRPA, Boston HSR, WashU PHS, JHU (IH and HSR), UCLA HPM
3 Withdrawn after Interview Invite: Rochester HSR, VCU HSR, Iowa HSR
5 Pending: Ohio State HP, Cornell PAM, UNC HPM, Drexel HSR, NYU PHPM

This was a costly cycle for me but it's worth it! Wishing everyone the best.

Updating this, after receiving my rejection from Harvard Health Policy (which I expected). Not too sad as I just gave it a try. 

The waiting game is almost over. Hope you all get your dream acceptance!

I know y'all are mostly just here for results, but I love hearing about where you all applied and all the different programs. So I'm curious, what are all of your research interests?

I'm applying to explore how social and economic policies shape structural and physical violence outcomes among transgender and gender expansive populations!