2022 Application Thread

dr. t

Just now, TheGradCocaCola said:

Hello.
Has anyone here applied for the PhD in History at Georgetown, Brown and Rice?
Did you hear any news?
Thank You.

I applied to Brown and Georgetown. Haven't heard anything from Brown, but had an interview at Georgetown. They said we should hear mid-Feb from Georgetown with final decisions. 

2 minutes ago, automatic_peas said:

I applied to Brown and Georgetown. Haven't heard anything from Brown, but had an interview at Georgetown. They said we should hear mid-Feb from Georgetown with final decisions. 

I applied to Georgetown in 2020 for Fall 2021, with no success. The rejection was sent to me on Feb 19th.
If I'm not mistaken, I saw the results here on TheGradCafe once and I think the accepted candidates got the news at the beginning of February. Those that were not accepted only in the second half of the month. I will confirm this.
Would you mind telling me what your subfield is? I'm in Latin America / Brazil.

Thank You.

5 minutes ago, TheGradCocaCola said:

I applied to Georgetown in 2020 for Fall 2021, with no success. The rejection was sent to me on Feb 19th.
If I'm not mistaken, I saw the results here on TheGradCafe once and I think the accepted candidates got the news at the beginning of February. Those that were not accepted only in the second half of the month. I will confirm this.
Would you mind telling me what your subfield is? I'm in Latin America / Brazil.

Thank You.

I applied through a different subfield. Happy to chat more via DM. 

Has anyone else received emails from schools encouraging them to apply to FLAS? I've received them from two schools now (I've applied to FLAS at both!). The first was from a grad coordinator and the second from my POI at that school.

Wondering if anyone happens to know A. if this means anything regarding my application status or B. if I should be replying with a "thank you for thinking of me, looking forward to hearing back" email?

38 minutes ago, CoffeeCatsCorgis said:

Has anyone else received emails from schools encouraging them to apply to FLAS? I've received them from two schools now (I've applied to FLAS at both!). The first was from a grad coordinator and the second from my POI at that school.

Wondering if anyone happens to know A. if this means anything regarding my application status or B. if I should be replying with a "thank you for thinking of me, looking forward to hearing back" email?

I got a generic one from Chicago. As much as I'd like for it to be meaningful, I really doubt it. 

22 hours ago, Mile6 said:

Anyone able to give more info about that MIT interview listing on the results page? (Was it a generic email or individualized from POI, etc.). I’m guessing they interview everyone they accept?

Hey! I got an MIT interview— it seemed like a generic mass email asking us to sign up for an interview slot via a doodle poll and inviting us to a "virtual visit" on zoom 

Can anyone give me info/clarification on NYU admits? Did you get an email from your poi? Also, if you don't mind sharing, what subfield are you?

I'm Atlantic, and was just wondering if anyone in that subfield had anything... which would let me know my answer!

edit -- I feel like it would be useful to say that I did the interviews too! My friend also went through interviews for the program and heard back from a different field.

Edited by charmsprof

If any of the other NYU admits are here I'd love to chat more about impressions of the program - shoot me a dm if you're down! 

and @charmsprof - I'm in a different field from you! Similarly to what someone else posted on the acceptances, I also got an unofficial email from poi. Looks like someone got an interview request from NYU just yesterday too, so pieces are probably still moving. Good luck!! 

Edited by aurelie426

1 hour ago, aurelie426 said:

and @charmsprof - I'm in a different field from you! Similarly to what someone else posted on the acceptances, I also got an unofficial email from poi. Looks like someone got an interview request from NYU just yesterday too, so pieces are probably still moving. Good luck!! 

That was me! It should say that I interviewed on the 12th, but I guess I put it in wrong. I think everything is done, and people are just getting acceptances now. 

31 minutes ago, charmsprof said:

That was me! It should say that I interviewed on the 12th, but I guess I put it in wrong. I think everything is done, and people are just getting acceptances now. 

Ahh I see! It does seem though that the acceptances going out have all been informal, so fingers crossed. I didn't actually have an interview, so the process probably varies from field to field and prof to prof

Is the other UWM admit (the one who just posted today with the note about MA at UWM and funding) on the forum?

Just wondering how you were notified about funding.  In my admit email, I was told that we’d be getting word about funding by February 1 and nothing’s come through yet.  Just wondering if I need to be checking the portal/PAWS at this point.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:04 PM, dr. telkanuru said:

This is not a "my life sucks" competition, but I do want to caution that building coping strategies for this sort of stress will be super important going forwards. There's going to be a lot of it. Striking out on the job market (though I'm employed now!) last year gave me a literal midlife crisis at 35 this past summer, for example.

This. is. crucial. 

Not only for the job market, but for everything grad school related. It is those coping mechanisms that you develop since this moment during admissions that will help you down the road. Needless to say, we are all running on fumes of coping with the pandemic and all... 

PS @dr. telkanuru I read your article! 

39 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

Is the other UWM admit (the one who just posted today with the note about MA at UWM and funding) on the forum?

Just wondering how you were notified about funding.  In my admit email, I was told that we’d be getting word about funding by February 1 and nothing’s come through yet.  Just wondering if I need to be checking the portal/PAWS at this point.

I suspect things are somewhat different for them since they are already at the school. They didn't mention anything about an assistantship, which is what we're both waiting on. 

29 minutes ago, charmsprof said:

Got the official notification from JHU. A few of my pois reached out earlier on Tuesday and let me know that they think I have a good chance of making it off the waitlist. Excited nonetheless though. Let's get these other notifs!!! 

Congrats! Hope you get good news about the waitlist soon and that you get other good news from pending apps!

3 hours ago, automatic_peas said:

Has anyone heard anything from Harvard? I think acceptances came out around this time last year, if I remember correctly. 

Nothing yet from Harvard for me. They are my one of my top schools, I'm also anxiously awaiting news!!

Edited by CoffeeCatsCorgis