Incoming Clinical Psych Students - F2021

psychsci

Hi All, this is a topic for incoming clinical psych students to connect with each other, and ask any relevant questions etc. I am an incoming student at Lakehead U clinical psych program in Canada. Please feel free to join and comment your details if you wish ! Best of luck to everyone with their future studies :) 

Does anyone know what the general rules are about contact others in the lab that you will be joining? I want to meet with the lab people and get to know the culture better but I am afraid that my PI might find it rude that I talked to her students behind her back ?

13 minutes ago, psychsci said:

Does anyone know what the general rules are about contact others in the lab that you will be joining? I want to meet with the lab people and get to know the culture better but I am afraid that my PI might find it rude that I talked to her students behind her back ?

I would email the PI and state your interest in connecting with your new lab mates and see if she can facilitate it by giving you some emails. 

Hi Everyone, do you know how the non-renewable CGSM works? So if you get non-renewable funding for a year (1st year of Masters) do you need to apply for the PhD level for your second year of Masters, or do you have to apply only to provincial awards for the second year? Of course this structure assumes a two year Masters and then the PhD. 

4 hours ago, psychsci said:

Hi Everyone, do you know how the non-renewable CGSM works? So if you get non-renewable funding for a year (1st year of Masters) do you need to apply for the PhD level for your second year of Masters, or do you have to apply only to provincial awards for the second year? Of course this structure assumes a two year Masters and then the PhD. 

Only provincial! CGSM has a lifetime maximum of one year! You could then apply at the end of second year for the CGS-D award. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone, I wanted to post here to say that some of us have created a facebook group for incoming clinical psych students at Lakehead. If you are interested please message me and I would be happy to give you the link so that you can join the group too ! There is about 7 of us now, and we are missing at least 3 people.