Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

I don't want to freak anyone out but I thought you folks in here would appreciate some more information. I was accepted to Mac's MSc in Psychotherapy a couple weeks ago. I started on the waitlist, then was emailed for an interview. I heard from them a probably 5 or 6 days after my interview with the news that I had been accepted and had 2 weeks to give an answer.

16 minutes ago, postpostmodern said:

I don't want to freak anyone out but I thought you folks in here would appreciate some more information. I was accepted to Mac's MSc in Psychotherapy a couple weeks ago. I started on the waitlist, then was emailed for an interview. I heard from them a probably 5 or 6 days after my interview with the news that I had been accepted and had 2 weeks to give an answer.

Hey! Can I ask when you were interviewed? 

25 minutes ago, stillpsych said:

Has anyone emailed OISE to find out if we're getting results early April or mid-april? I need to figure out if I need a full-time job or stay in my current role!

I emailed them yesterday evening to ask for an update but I haven't heard anything back yet ?

1 minute ago, imfeeling2022 said:

Has anyone heard anything new today? UofT, Mac and Laurier have been real quiet with me, and I know others have been getting acceptances, waitlists and rejections.

Haven't heard anything yet and am going crazy with refreshing all my portals, emails, and this forum 2842729 times a day?

As an aside, I'm wondering why people seem to talk a lot about Yorkville or CityU but not about Athabasca, which is also an online provider but actually a public school (not private), so much cheaper and regulated? You even are eligible for accreditation in Alberta as a psychologist with their degree. I don't know why people would opt for Yorkville over them? 

3 minutes ago, psychmaybe said:

UBC offered me a place too, but not via email. It's on their portal. MEd. 

Congratulations to you too! 

I am certain that I am rejected then. It was the only school I applied to this year. Sigh. When was your portal updated? 

I just checked yesterday and it popped up. It's deflating, I was in your position last year. But it is worth remembering it's not final until it's final and that it's a marathon, not a sprint. If it takes another year to get on, so what? You gain life experience, you're free to try other things and it's important to remember that in this field, experience in life matters more. Younger people who get on quickly do not necessarily make good clinicians, and it'll show in their practice. It's a bitch, but adversity is a strength in this field of work. 

2 minutes ago, psychmaybe said:

I just checked yesterday and it popped up. It's deflating, I was in your position last year. But it is worth remembering it's not final until it's final and that it's a marathon, not a sprint. If it takes another year to get on, so what? You gain life experience, you're free to try other things and it's important to remember that in this field, experience in life matters more. Younger people who get on quickly do not necessarily make good clinicians, and it'll show in their practice. It's a bitch, but adversity is a strength in this field of work. 

Needed to hear this. Thank you for your encouragement and kind words! I wish you all the best for this journey and hope you have an enriching experience. 

2 minutes ago, wannabetherapist said:

I’m going to assume rejection from UBC too then… my portal still says submitted. Would the folks who were admitted mind sharing their background? I’m curious what a successful applicant looks like ?

I agree. If anyone is comfortable summarizing their profile without mentioning too many identifying details. This was my second attempt at UBC and I am feeling lost already.

I don't think it matters really what the profile is, it seems to be a case of hitting what they want to hear! I know people who have been offered a place who have hardly any experience, to the point I just questioned if they lied in their statements (especially with these programs strangely not interviewing for the most part), and then there are those with loads of experience who would be incredible clinicians who get flat rejections. It's deeply frustrating. When you do get on, you'll see classmates who fit both of those descriptions too, it will not be a cohort of world class brilliance I assure you! 

For me, I have an MSc in neuroscience and BSc Hons in Psychology, 3 assistant clinical psychologist jobs, a number of publications through my 4 research assistant roles and 2 years of volunteering at the suicide line. I've lived and worked in mental health in 3 countries and in the pre reqs obtained in the high 90's for all of them. I was still rejected the past two years from all my applications. This year I changed my statement to downplay my publications (didn't mention them except in the publications box for UBC), downplayed my clinical work in psychiatry and research and focused purely on anything counselling related (the suicide line, previous work I had done in a social work capacity, my previous teaching job (was a teacher for 4 years). I basically downplayed everything else and upscaled my counselling work and that seemed to finally pay off.

From working in this field for a long time though, I can categorically say I've worked with some terrible clinicians. They went straight from undergrad, had zero knowledge outside of their books and their lack of life experience, things that can not be taught in class, really showed. The best I've worked with are those who have had a varied life, came to the career later on and were from a humanistic, experience led, client led focus.  Don't be discouraged if you haven't been offered a place this year, and don't panic rush to any old school that will take you in for a hefty fee. Life is not a sprint, and shouldn't be treated as such. My not being in school has led me to opportunity all over the world, the ability to earn money and meet new people and, I hope, has strengthened me in this line of work. It can too for you, a rejection is not at all the end of the world, even though it definitely is disappointing to receive. 

1 hour ago, vpsych said:

Congratulations to you too! 

I am certain that I am rejected then. It was the only school I applied to this year. Sigh. When was your portal updated? 

You can reach out to the department and maybe find out if you were waitlisted? For OISE's SCCP program, I didn't receive the waitlist email until 10 days after I knew they sent offers (so needless to say, for 10 days I also assumed it was a straight rejection for me lol). So you're not officially "rejected" until you receive the actual rejection notification!

I wanted to update my friends who applied to McMaster. I got rejected (without ever being waitlisted or getting an interview invite) on February 10th 2022. 

Have not heard anything from Western or UofT (the only other two schools I applied to) - fingers are still crossed. 

Thankful to have this space to share our anxious thoughts and feelings together lol 

7 hours ago, psychmaybe said:

As an aside, I'm wondering why people seem to talk a lot about Yorkville or CityU but not about Athabasca, which is also an online provider but actually a public school (not private), so much cheaper and regulated? You even are eligible for accreditation in Alberta as a psychologist with their degree. I don't know why people would opt for Yorkville over them? 

I've never head of CityU or Athabasca. Are these schools accredited with the CRPO?? 

On 3/23/2022 at 2:42 PM, alexastudent said:

Heard from UBC and got an offer for the Med in Counselling program!

congratulations!! what portal did you use to look at it and what did it look like? with all the schools ive applied to, im confused by where to log in for which school haha. CONGRATS again :D:D

If it is the e:vision portal, is it the area that says "submitted applications" where it gives you the ability to withdraw/manage? In the inbox section, did you also have a message in your portal that said accepted? 

Edited by caffeinejelly