Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

Hey everyone! Still waiting to hear from UOttawa (I was waitlisted in Feb, like many others lol). Does anyone know how their waiting list works? I'm pretty confused. I don't know if it is a genuine wait list, or if they have put people on the waiting list as a temporary measure or something like that (i.e., due to delays, etc). I'm anxious since there have been no acceptances I have heard of except one. I was fine with waiting before, but it's almost April so I'm starting to wonder if all their acceptances have gone out at this point? If anyone knows of any other acceptances or rejections, please feel free to share-would be much appreciated. ?

17 hours ago, HumanBean said:

Hey everyone! Still waiting to hear from UOttawa (I was waitlisted in Feb, like many others lol). Does anyone know how their waiting list works? I'm pretty confused. I don't know if it is a genuine wait list, or if they have put people on the waiting list as a temporary measure or something like that (i.e., due to delays, etc). I'm anxious since there have been no acceptances I have heard of except one. I was fine with waiting before, but it's almost April so I'm starting to wonder if all their acceptances have gone out at this point? If anyone knows of any other acceptances or rejections, please feel free to share-would be much appreciated. ?

Hi ! I don't know if this is any help because I know a lot of people are waiting to hear about the MA at uOttawa, but I was accepted to the MEd in late February. My deadline to accept was March 15, but I don't think they notify the waitlist until June from what I've heard which is super late :/ I really hope that they start letting people know earlier than that !

2 hours ago, amf27 said:

Hi ! I don't know if this is any help because I know a lot of people are waiting to hear about the MA at uOttawa, but I was accepted to the MEd in late February. My deadline to accept was March 15, but I don't think they notify the waitlist until June from what I've heard which is super late :/ I really hope that they start letting people know earlier than that !

Did you apply directly to the MEd? Or did you apply to the MA and get acceptance into the MEd?

Edited by psyc1818

For anyone who was interviewed by McMaster Psychotherapy but didn't receive an offer of admission, have you received any updates? My applicant portal still says "under review" I know they said decisions will be made by the end of March but it's literally the 31st ?

20 hours ago, HumanBean said:

Hey! I applied to the MA for UOttawa and still have heard nothing, my application still says under review. So unfortunately I think the waitlist people will be waiting a little longer, as they will probably have to wait for the acceptances to go out, and get accepted or declined. 

On 3/30/2022 at 12:25 AM, alexastudent said:

the Med has sent out their decisions but I haven't heard of anyone in the MA hearing yet! I know a few people that have applied who haven't heard yet 

I saw someone on LinkedIn who received their offer on March 25 for UBC MA program. 

Asking again if anyone could share their waitlisting experience? Are there any chances of getting a seat?

11 hours ago, howdidigethere said:

For anyone who was interviewed by McMaster Psychotherapy but didn't receive an offer of admission, have you received any updates? My applicant portal still says "under review" I know they said decisions will be made by the end of March but it's literally the 31st ?

Hey! I was wonderinmg the same. Are there any updates about it or did anyone drop an email to check with them?

For those who have applied a second or third time and got in, I was wondering whether you can share about what you did different in the second/third time around? What kind of experience did you add over the one year?

ALSO, I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THIS:

Do you change your personal statement when you apply again? When you are sharing your “story”, I feel you can’t really change it because your “story” is:  why you want to pursue this degree and what brought you here. Would love to know from folks who have applied more than once. 

6 hours ago, ManukaHoney said:

For those who have applied a second or third time and got in, I was wondering whether you can share about what you did different in the second/third time around? What kind of experience did you add over the one year?

ALSO, I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THIS:

Do you change your personal statement when you apply again? When you are sharing your “story”, I feel you can’t really change it because your “story” is:  why you want to pursue this degree and what brought you here. Would love to know from folks who have applied more than once. 

After I got rejected, I picked up 3 volunteer positions (crisis line, support group facilitator, intake) and enrolled in a 1 year mental health college program. Also networked a ton with people in the field through cold-emailing and setting up Zoom chats just to talk about the field, their career and interests, my career and interests, etc. Read a ton of books about psychotherapy, counselling, theory. Put me in a much better place to write a statement and do an interview. Completely changed my personal statements and my "story" from the ground up. Stories aren't static, objective things. It's all about how you frame your experiences and ambitions, demonstrating your commitment to the career, and showing your potential to excel in it.

Edited by postpostmodern

19 minutes ago, postpostmodern said:

After I got rejected, I picked up 3 volunteer positions (crisis line, support group facilitator, intake) and enrolled in a 1 year mental health college program. Also networked a ton with people in the field through cold-emailing and setting up Zoom chats just to talk about the field, their career and interests, my career and interests, etc. Read a ton of books about psychotherapy, counselling, theory. Put me in a much better place to write a statement and do an interview. Completely changed my personal statements and my "story" from the ground up. Stories aren't static, objective things. It's all about how you frame your experiences and ambitions, demonstrating your commitment to the career, and showing your potential to excel in it.

Thanks for your response and advice, puts things in a different perspective for me. I also thought about doing a mental health college program but I am still debating whether to do that or apply to Yorkville next year if i dont get in the OISE one..

Also, Did you use the same references from the first time?

Edited by ManukaHoney

45 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

Thanks for your response and advice, puts things in a different perspective for me. I also thought about doing a mental health college program but I am still debating whether to do that or apply to Yorkville next year if i dont get in the OISE one..

Also, Did you use the same references from the first time?

A mix of both. My newer references could speak to my counselling skills far better than my ones from undergrad.

On 4/1/2022 at 2:37 PM, postpostmodern said:

Hi! This all sounds great. Would love to know if this changed your outcome (have you been accepted? waitlisted?) 

I was rejected last year and reapplying this year. changed my personal statement almost completely, and also gained further related experience for my resume. I used a lot of counselling-related terms in my statement, too. Got rejected from McMaster (a second time) and still no word from other schools. 

Sometimes it feels like its more about luck than the actual strength of your application… 

3 hours ago, Liloxo said:

Hi! This all sounds great. Would love to know if this changed your outcome (have you been accepted? waitlisted?) 

I was rejected last year and reapplying this year. changed my personal statement almost completely, and also gained further related experience for my resume. I used a lot of counselling-related terms in my statement, too. Got rejected from McMaster (a second time) and still no word from other schools. 

Sometimes it feels like its more about luck than the actual strength of your application… 

Yeah, I got accepted. Totally does seem like luck sometimes! I guess it can come down to specific things that any given school is looking for matching with what you have in your application.

Anyone else planning on bombarding OISE with emails this week lol this is getting ridiculous. My current manager wants to renew my work contract for another year but I don’t know if I should go ahead and sign it because I’m still waiting to hear from OISE. There’s so much planning I have to do for the rest of the year (vacations, family trips, work, volunteering) that I can’t make without knowing their decision. Really frustrating.

3 minutes ago, MHTherapy said:

Anyone else planning on bombarding OISE with emails this week lol this is getting ridiculous. My current manager wants to renew my work contract for another year but I don’t know if I should go ahead and sign it because I’m still waiting to hear from OISE. There’s so much planning I have to do for the rest of the year (vacations, family trips, work, volunteering) that I can’t make without knowing their decision. Really frustrating.

Yes I totally understand your frustration! I'm trying to decide if I should stay in my job? Look for full time work? Get more volunteer experience? It's just so hard to plan anything without knowing what their decision is.... I'm really hoping we hear back this week

Edited by stillpsych

I really hope to hear from uOttawa this week as well. I am also at the point where I am trying to plan my summer, determine when to leave my job (or if I’m going to be staying at my job!) and arrange my volunteering schedule. My child also starts school in the fall so I’d love to know if I’ll be working or going to school so I can plan school bus/before after school care and all of those fun logistics. This waiting has been really difficult… my fingers are crossed for all of us :)