Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

1 minute ago, postpostmodern said:

Got an email this morning to check portal. Rejection from OISE MEd in Counselling & Psychotherapy. So they're coming out at least to some extent!

So sorry for the outcome! But thank you so much for sharing. Very weird that they’re sending out rejections first this year

4 minutes ago, MHTherapy said:

Do you mind sharing a picture of what you see? If you’re comfortable of course!

When I go in the portal it says "submitted" but then when I click on the application I have an update on the status page which shows this letter948681126_redactedrejection.png.d8e1356e45d8fa99a357653add30625c.png

1 minute ago, MHTherapy said:

I have no place when I open my application that shows any kind of status update so I have no idea what to be looking for/at lol

I was waitlisted for UofTs MSW, also applied to the MEd in counselling psychology but haven't heard anything. For the MSW though right beneath where it says "If you want to go back to the application management page click here" in big black letters it should say "status update" with a link to view the update where an official letter will be! I'm assuming it'll be the same for the MEd update! Where it says submitted on the application management page might not necessarily change! I hope that makes sense! 

in other news, I think I'm going to pursue the Yorkville MA... ultimately, I just want to be a therapist and have a private practice, exactly which program gets me there doesn't matter as much and it allows me to work full time and possibly graduate with 0 debt! lol just looking at the bright side 

2 minutes ago, SophD said:

I was waitlisted for UofTs MSW, also applied to the MEd in counselling psychology but haven't heard anything. For the MSW though right beneath where it says "If you want to go back to the application management page click here" in big black letters it should say "status update" with a link to view the update where an official letter will be! I'm assuming it'll be the same for the MEd update! Where it says submitted on the application management page might not necessarily change! I hope that makes sense! 

Ah I see, yeah it doesn’t show that for the MEd application but maybe it’ll show up once there is an actual status update. Thanks for sharing! 

Just now, MHTherapy said:

Ah I see, yeah it doesn’t show that for the MEd application but maybe it’ll show up once there is an actual status update. Thanks for sharing! 

Yes it won't show until there is an actual status update! But it's pretty obvious, you won't miss it once it's there! Good luck! :)) 

Just now, stillpsych said:

in other news, I think I'm going to pursue the Yorkville MA... ultimately, I just want to be a therapist and have a private practice, exactly which program gets me there doesn't matter as much and it allows me to work full time and possibly graduate with 0 debt! lol just looking at the bright side 

Sounds like a great plan tbh! Yorkville has produced very successful practitioners that were able to secure jobs post graduation - same as any other public university! At the end of it all that matters is that you can get registered to practice. Whether that comes from a public uni or a private one, it shouldn’t matter! Everyone’s path to success is different :) wishing you all the best!!

5 minutes ago, MHTherapy said:

Sounds like a great plan tbh! Yorkville has produced very successful practitioners that were able to secure jobs post graduation - same as any other public university! At the end of it all that matters is that you can get registered to practice. Whether that comes from a public uni or a private one, it shouldn’t matter! Everyone’s path to success is different :) wishing you all the best!!

thank you this is really kind, wishing you all the best also!

12 minutes ago, stillpsych said:

Great plan. That’s also my plan if I am rejected from OISE. It’s more convenient too that it is online! 

I am just gonna rant a little bit..i find it weird that they are sending out rejections first? From my understanding usually they send out acceptances, then wailists and finally rejections?

This is super confusing and I know I am over thinking everything now but my day has been put on hold.  I JUST WANT TO KNOW what this life-altering decision will be. 

5 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

Great plan. That’s also my plan if I am rejected from OISE. It’s more convenient too that it is online! 

Yorkville is my back up plan too! Glad to see there are some others with the same idea:)

19 minutes ago, stillpsych said:

It's a good plan and was going to be my backup as well! :) Don't let anyone make you doubt that program, my therapist last year was a Yorkville grad lol 

8 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

I am just gonna rant a little bit..i find it weird that they are sending out rejections first? From my understanding usually they send out acceptances, then wailists and finally rejections?

This is super confusing and I know I am over thinking everything now but my day has been put on hold.  I JUST WANT TO KNOW what this life-altering decision will be. 

So, it's not that unusual for rejections to be sent out first. Often if someone doesn't meet the minimum criteria/cutoff, schools will send out rejections to those people first before acceptances/waitlists. I don't necessarily know if that's what is happening now but I do know of other programs during this admissions cycle that sent out rejections first for those reasons. 

Just now, T.O.hopeful said:

So, it's not that unusual for rejections to be sent out first. Often if someone doesn't meet the minimum criteria/cutoff, schools will send out rejections to those people first before acceptances/waitlists. I don't necessarily know if that's what is happening now but I do know of other programs during this admissions cycle that sent out rejections first for those reasons. 

True that makes sense! It’s just weird that it took them 6 months to send out rejections for the cutoff criteria etc..

Also, I am just speculating but I think there may be hope for those who are on wait lists. Because it took them so long to get back to students, many had to accept offers from other universities because they weren’t sure if there would hear back form OISE…so I am *speculating* that there will be a few people coming off the wailists since a few who will be accepted will probably have to decline OISE’s offer of admission.

However, I WAS wondering that for those who already accepted an offer from another uni, can they withdraw from the program and accept UofT’s offer later

1 minute ago, ManukaHoney said:

True that makes sense! It’s just weird that it took them 6 months to send out rejections for the cutoff criteria etc..

Also, I am just speculating but I think there may be hope for those who are on wait lists. Because it took them so long to get back to students, many had to accept offers from other universities because they weren’t sure if there would hear back form OISE…so I am *speculating* that there will be a few people coming off the wailists since a few who will be accepted will probably have to decline OISE’s offer of admission.

However, I WAS wondering that for those who already accepted an offer from another uni, can they withdraw from the program and accept UofT’s offer later

I’m pretty sure they are able to withdraw their confirmation of acceptance for another school upon an acceptance from a second school. However some may lose out on any deposits made as those are usually non refundable. That might stop them from changing their decision even after being accepted to UofT. Therefore I don’t think many on the waitlist will make it off as that’s been the pattern for the past several years. I’ve also heard that there’s only space for 10 people on the waitlist so it seems like UofT is aware that the likeliness of moving off the waitlist is quite slim as most people usually accept their acceptances even after accepting elsewhere. Just my thoughts though I could be totally wrong!! 

Just now, MHTherapy said:

I’m pretty sure they are able to withdraw their confirmation of acceptance for another school upon an acceptance from a second school. However some may lose out on any deposits made as those are usually non refundable. That might stop them from changing their decision even after being accepted to UofT. Therefore I don’t think many on the waitlist will make it off as that’s been the pattern for the past several years. I’ve also heard that there’s only space for 10 people on the waitlist so it seems like UofT is aware that the likeliness of moving off the waitlist is quite slim as most people usually accept their acceptances even after accepting elsewhere. Just my thoughts though I could be totally wrong!! 

Ohhhh wow only 10? 

That’s true, I think also for UofT’s reputation people WILL withdraw their confirmation from another school..

Here’s to waiting!!

9 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

Ohhhh wow only 10? 

That’s true, I think also for UofT’s reputation people WILL withdraw their confirmation from another school..

Here’s to waiting!!

Meh, if I get in I likely won't be accepting, I got in to my top choice elsewhere and Toronto is so expensive and far from my family! Yeah reputation is cool and all but it's not really that important when it comes to our end goal, which is getting our credentials and registering as a psychologist. 

35 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

It's a good plan and was going to be my backup as well! :) Don't let anyone make you doubt that program, my therapist last year was a Yorkville grad lol 

my therapist was a yorkville grad too she was great!!! thanks for the encouraging words