Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

42 minutes ago, MHTherapy said:

Yes I think the goal is to accept around 32 students! Makes the competition super tough when there’s 500+ applicants 

Where are you seeing 500+ applicants? The only schools I can find that publish their application figures are UofC and UBC and both go nowhere near that high.  I know that SFU said last year was exceptional for them and they had 323 applications then, but that was with the pandemic. 

12 minutes ago, psychmaybe said:

Where are you seeing 500+ applicants? The only schools I can find that publish their application figures are UofC and UBC and both go nowhere near that high.  I know that SFU said last year was exceptional for them and they had 323 applications then, but that was with the pandemic. 

I mean, I applied to the CCP program so grain of salt, but my POI I interviewed with for that program said 300 or so applications is low for OISE's programs. So this figure was probably thrown out by some profs during interviews and has been re-circulated around here for a while. U of T is the top university in Canada so they attract lots of applicants from across the country - other universities I find tend to attract mostly in-province students but I could be wrong!

14 minutes ago, psychmaybe said:

Last year’s stats (or it might be 2020) showed that around 700 people applied for the program and around 500 specifically applied for the psychotherapy stream! Just assuming the pattern will remain this year as well as it’s been pretty steady throughout the years pre and post covid :) 

1 minute ago, MHTherapy said:

Last year’s stats (or it might be 2020) showed that around 700 people applied for the program and around 500 specifically applied for the psychotherapy stream! Just assuming the pattern will remain this year as well as it’s been pretty steady throughout the years pre and post covid :) 

Yea - it was around 700. I’m assuming at least 700 applicants for this fall 2022 intake! Which is roughly a 4.6% acceptance rate if they have 32 seats ?

Edited by never stop dreaming
Added the acceptance rate

2 hours ago, TeeM2022 said:

There is no interview for the MEd Counselling and Psychotherapy stream :) So don't give up as yet!

Ohhhh, interesting! Although still going to try not to get my hopes up, with this chat about 500+ applicants ?  Thank you, and good luck! 

4 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

I mean, I applied to the CCP program so grain of salt, but my POI I interviewed with for that program said 300 or so applications is low for OISE's programs. So this figure was probably thrown out by some profs during interviews and has been re-circulated around here for a while. U of T is the top university in Canada so they attract lots of applicants from across the country - other universities I find tend to attract mostly in-province students but I could be wrong!

Yes agreed! UofT also gets one of the highest number of international applicants as well. Also, according to their 2019 stats, UofT got 800+ applicants for the MEd program alone so 500-700 applicants seems pretty standard for the program

6 minutes ago, MHTherapy said:

Yes agreed! UofT also gets one of the highest number of international applicants as well. Also, according to their 2019 stats, UofT got 800+ applicants for the MEd program alone so 500-700 applicants seems pretty standard for the program

Oof! 

I am kind of lost and  considering that many of you are experts, I would love some of your input/advice on this:

I did my undergrad in psych. Have a lot of research experience and currently gaining more practical experience. Like many of you, I am currently waiting to hear back from the OISE application (only program I applied to, can’t relocate). When I applied to the OISE program, I only had 2-3 practical experiences in working with vulnerable individuals so I know that my experience is not as much as eveyyone else in the “practical field”. I am a fresh grad (but mature student), and so If I get refused this round I will apply again to OISE  for the 2023 year.. However, considering that I am so limited with the this competitive program,  I  also plan on applying to the social work program since I can register with the CRPO (I know, this program is super competitive too) . In addition, I also plan on applying to Guelph & Mcmaster (yes, that means I will have to commute there from Toronto, but my options are so limited). My questions are

1. Mcmaster is not recognized by CRPO. I see people going in this program but they will not be licensed. So why do people go in it?

2. This is my first round applying, I am going to try again next semester. I REALLY BADLY want to get in UofT’s OISE MEd program and it is my ultimate dream program. However, is it worth it to apply a third round if I also don’t get in next year?  I know I am getting ahead of myself but I am wondering this because I am thinking about whether next round I should also apply to the Yorkville Program or just wait for a third round and apply to OISE? I am a mature student with children, in my upper 20’s and I feel already time is ticking for me lol. 

3. Adler or Yorkville ? They are both private programs but in your opinion which one is better? I have talked to people from Yorkville already but not anyone from Adler. I now that Adler is in person whereas Yorkville is online. Any other differences?

Feel free to PM me if you want. I feel so lost/hopeless right now. These programs are so competitive already, but this is even more difficult for me because I cannot apply to 10 programs and relocate. I also heard about York’s social work program, but it is very theoretical & based on social justice and less practical, which is why I am not really considering it.

Edited by ManukaHoney

53 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

I am kind of lost and  considering that many of you are experts, I would love some of your input/advice on this:

I did my undergrad in psych. Have a lot of research experience and currently gaining more practical experience. Like many of you, I am currently waiting to hear back from the OISE application (only program I applied to, can’t relocate). When I applied to the OISE program, I only had 2-3 practical experiences in working with vulnerable individuals so I know that my experience is not as much as eveyyone else in the “practical field”. I am a fresh grad (but mature student), and so If I get refused this round I will apply again to OISE  for the 2023 year.. However, considering that I am so limited with the this competitive program,  I  also plan on applying to the social work program since I can register with the CRPO (I know, this program is super competitive too) . In addition, I also plan on applying to Guelph & Mcmaster (yes, that means I will have to commute there from Toronto, but my options are so limited). My questions are

1. Mcmaster is not recognized by CRPO. I see people going in this program but they will not be licensed. So why do people go in it?

2. This is my first round applying, I am going to try again next semester. I REALLY BADLY want to get in UofT’s OISE MEd program and it is my ultimate dream program. However, is it worth it to apply a third round if I also don’t get in next year?  I know I am getting ahead of myself but I am wondering this because I am thinking about whether next round I should also apply to the Yorkville Program or just wait for a third round and apply to OISE? I am a mature student with children, in my upper 20’s and I feel already time is ticking for me lol. 

3. Adler or Yorkville ? They are both private programs but in your opinion which one is better? I have talked to people from Yorkville already but not anyone from Adler. I now that Adler is in person whereas Yorkville is online. Any other differences?

Feel free to PM me if you want. I feel so lost/hopeless right now. These programs are so competitive already, but this is even more difficult for me because I cannot apply to 10 programs and relocate. I also heard about York’s social work program, but it is very theoretical & based on social justice and less practical, which is why I am not really considering it.

I think there's technically still time to apply for Yorkville for this September if you didn't want to wait another year (below quote is what I was told by them). So you could still try applying. For Social Work, you'd register with OCSWSSW. I don't see how you could register with CRPO as it's not a Counselling or Psychotherapy graduate program. But perhaps i could be wrong. 

"The latest I want to submit applications for Fall 2022 is end of May, however, the sooner we submit, the sooner we would receive a decision of admission." 

2 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I think there's technically still time to apply for Yorkville for this September if you didn't want to wait another year (below quote is what I was told by them). So you could still try applying. For Social Work, you'd register with OCSWSSW. I don't see how you could register with CRPO as it's not a Counselling or Psychotherapy graduate program. But perhaps i could be wrong. 

"The latest I want to submit applications for Fall 2022 is end of May, however, the sooner we submit, the sooner we would receive a decision of admission." 

Hello,  you can register as a psychotherapist if you complete a specific number of hours :) 

Also, yes I know that Yorkville is still taking on students but I want to try my luck again with UofT next year if I don’t get in this round just because the tuition for Yorkville is so high and I cannot afford it atm. 

Edited by ManukaHoney

6 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

Hello,  you can register as a psychotherapist if you complete a specific number of hours :) 

Also, yes I know that Yorkville is still taking on students but I want to try my luck again with UofT next year if I don’t get in this round just because the tuition for Yorkville is so high and I cannot afford it atm. 

Fair enough, the Yorkville tuition was also the concern for me. Apparently Athabasca University's online program is cheaper so that's another option you could look into. But fingers crossed you get good news from OISE this month! 

5 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Fair enough, the Yorkville tuition was also the concern for me. Apparently Athabasca University's online program is cheaper so that's another option you could look into. But fingers crossed you get good news from OISE this month! 

True, the only thing putting me off from Athabasca is that the program is 3.5 years…that’s almost 4 years of doing a masters degree..which is kinda insane lol

1 hour ago, ManukaHoney said:

Hey! I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge but others can please interject if I am not correct. 

1. In regards to CRPO accreditation, just because a program is not accredited doesn't mean that they cannot license. When you go to get licensed by the CRPO you submit an application. If you went to an accredited program then you apply through the "recognized program" stream of the application, if it is not accredited then you apply through the non-recognized stream and its basically a longer application process and less guaranteed for licensure. Now for Mac specifically, I could be wrong but I heard that it's a fairly new program and in the process of being accredited. One thing you can do is a deep dive into the requirements for the CRPO and compare it with the curriculum of Mac's program and see if it lines up. You can also try your luck calling them and asking about anything you're unsure of (although they do say that they cannot give you a definitive answer on whether or not the program meets the requirements so keep that in mind).

2. You seem to be very set on UofT's program and very enthusiastic about it. So, I would say if you REALLY want it, keep trying! However, I also encourage you to reflect on your long-term goals. At the end of the day when you are practicing in the field, does it matter to you where you graduated from? Is there something in particular about the education at UofT that you feel you cannot get anywhere else, or is it a matter of prestige? Speaking for myself, I really struggled with this same question because I feel that I've worked hard all my life and I want to go to a program that's considered competitive as recognition for my efforts.. but also at the end of the day when I'm licensed I will be working alongside lots of people who got to this point through other maybe less competitive routes and are doing the very thing I want to do alongside me. So, try to think about those things a little more to help you with your decision. This ties in to #3

3. Regarding Yorkville, the deadline to apply for the September cohort has passed BUT they do have a January cohort, so if you decide to go with this route, look into the deadline for that. From what I understand Yorkville is accredited by the CRPO and prepares you for licensure as a psychotherapist; however, Adler goes one step further and I believe sets you up also to be able to register as a psychological associate with the CPO. What someone explained to me is that its more or less a private school version of a clinical psychology program but because they do not have a PhD available at Adler Toronto, it follows the requirements of the CRPO for licensure. 

I hope these answer your questions to some capacity. I am currently also waiting on OISE to respond, so I totally understand your frustration. Best of luck! 

1 hour ago, ManukaHoney said:

Regarding your question about McMaster, my understanding is that programs can only apply for CRPO after they have a graduating class, and since Mac's program is 2 years old, their first graduating class is happening now and then they will be applying in the near future. 

58 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

True, the only thing putting me off from Athabasca is that the program is 3.5 years…that’s almost 4 years of doing a masters degree..which is kinda insane lol

The small print of Yorkville is that 2.5 is the average time taken to do the program excluding the placements, which are completed usually after. So in actuality, 3-3.5 years isn't unusual there either, especially if you were to work. Athabasca also bases that 3.5 years on a thesis (needed if you want to do a PhD but not a necessary part of their degree) and doing only 4 classes a year, 2 each semester, but it is likely possible to increase your workload to do more and therefore finish faster. The other programs that do it faster, also mean you take on more classes and therefore it's harder to work when completing them, if money is a concern. These course completion times at places that say less time, like UofT, are if you do it full time, with a packed schedule and limited working. I know people who completed programs like this who took much longer for various reasons, so heads up on that. 

On 4/8/2022 at 1:09 PM, JustTryingMyBest said:

Hey! I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge but others can please interject if I am not correct. 

1. In regards to CRPO accreditation, just because a program is not accredited doesn't mean that they cannot license. When you go to get licensed by the CRPO you submit an application. If you went to an accredited program then you apply through the "recognized program" stream of the application, if it is not accredited then you apply through the non-recognized stream and its basically a longer application process and less guaranteed for licensure. Now for Mac specifically, I could be wrong but I heard that it's a fairly new program and in the process of being accredited. One thing you can do is a deep dive into the requirements for the CRPO and compare it with the curriculum of Mac's program and see if it lines up. You can also try your luck calling them and asking about anything you're unsure of (although they do say that they cannot give you a definitive answer on whether or not the program meets the requirements so keep that in mind).

2. You seem to be very set on UofT's program and very enthusiastic about it. So, I would say if you REALLY want it, keep trying! However, I also encourage you to reflect on your long-term goals. At the end of the day when you are practicing in the field, does it matter to you where you graduated from? Is there something in particular about the education at UofT that you feel you cannot get anywhere else, or is it a matter of prestige? Speaking for myself, I really struggled with this same question because I feel that I've worked hard all my life and I want to go to a program that's considered competitive as recognition for my efforts.. but also at the end of the day when I'm licensed I will be working alongside lots of people who got to this point through other maybe less competitive routes and are doing the very thing I want to do alongside me. So, try to think about those things a little more to help you with your decision. This ties in to #3

3. Regarding Yorkville, the deadline to apply for the September cohort has passed BUT they do have a January cohort, so if you decide to go with this route, look into the deadline for that. From what I understand Yorkville is accredited by the CRPO and prepares you for licensure as a psychotherapist; however, Adler goes one step further and I believe sets you up also to be able to register as a psychological associate with the CPO. What someone explained to me is that its more or less a private school version of a clinical psychology program but because they do not have a PhD available at Adler Toronto, it follows the requirements of the CRPO for licensure. 

I hope these answer your questions to some capacity. I am currently also waiting on OISE to respond, so I totally understand your frustration. Best of luck! 

Hey, thanks so much for your thoughtful and very helpful response! Truly appreciated.  Was very helpful and def didn’t know that if a program isn’t recognized you can still apply to get licensed :)

Also, about UofT - only reason I am set is because I cannot relocate outside Toronto and the Yorkville and Adler program are costly (was considered them before but didn’t know they were this expensive).

On 4/8/2022 at 1:42 PM, psychmaybe said:

The small print of Yorkville is that 2.5 is the average time taken to do the program excluding the placements, which are completed usually after. So in actuality, 3-3.5 years isn't unusual there either, especially if you were to work. Athabasca also bases that 3.5 years on a thesis (needed if you want to do a PhD but not a necessary part of their degree) and doing only 4 classes a year, 2 each semester, but it is likely possible to increase your workload to do more and therefore finish faster. The other programs that do it faster, also mean you take on more classes and therefore it's harder to work when completing them, if money is a concern. These course completion times at places that say less time, like UofT, are if you do it full time, with a packed schedule and limited working. I know people who completed programs like this who took much longer for various reasons, so heads up on that. 

Oh wasn’t aware that the 2.5 years excludes placements! Thanks for the info

14 hours ago, ManukaHoney said:

Oh wasn’t aware that the 2.5 years excludes placements! Thanks for the info

from the information I received on the phone with Yorkville, 2.5 years includes placement. You also have the option to take 2 courses at once (instead of one course at a time) to speed up the time it takes you to complete course work. 

On 4/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, Liloxo said:

Hi! This all sounds great. Would love to know if this changed your outcome (have you been accepted? waitlisted?) 

I was rejected last year and reapplying this year. changed my personal statement almost completely, and also gained further related experience for my resume. I used a lot of counselling-related terms in my statement, too. Got rejected from McMaster (a second time) and still no word from other schools. 

Sometimes it feels like its more about luck than the actual strength of your application… 

Have you thought about applying to Social work programs? 

Hi all, while we are anticipating & waiting to hear back from OISE, thought I would share some info with you:

I spoke to someone who who knows of a few people that completed the Occupational Therapy program at UofT and they become registered psychotherapists right after. In fact, they are working in a psychiatric centre in a hospital :) So that’s another route you can get registered! I was surprised because honestly I wasn’t that informed about Occupational therapy so it’s quite eye opening and I think I am going to apply to it next year also :) 

20 minutes ago, Psy29 said:

Anyone hear anything from OISE today?

No, nothing here. My status also still says "submitted", does yours? I'm honestly really struggling with the wait, it's been absolutely brutal!! Someone posted a few days ago saying they heard that for those who have not yet been rejected, answers about applications will come near the end of the month (they contacted oise if I remember correctly). I did see that there was a poll (about 85 respondents) on reddit for the oise med program. So far, 1 had been rejected, 1 had been accepted (!!!!), and the rest also hadn't heard back. To be honest, I'm very confused about what is going on. I kind of thought a bunch of rejections had gone out but now I'm not so sure? If anyone knows anything please share LOL.