Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

Just got a rejection from OISE - third year in a row. Feeling really bummed out but still on the waitlist for UofT 2 year MSW so we will see. I just want to get this next stage of my life going so I'm going to start the Yorkville program in May!

Good luck everyone, we will all get to where we want to be somehow, some way!

Sounds like all the rejections are being sent at once lol. Got the email to check the portal and also saw a rejection. Good luck to everyone else still waiting and congratulations to those who will receive an acceptance!! :) 

I think Acorn is telling me I'm accepted, so pretty excited but also scared to tell people until I get the email in case I'm hallucinating or something. I'm so sorry to everyone who didn't get in. Hang in there everyone. And to those who are still waiting to hear back, please try to do what you can to get your mind off of it and ease your anxiety. This was brutal y'all. 

53 minutes ago, JustTryingMyBest said:

I think Acorn is telling me I'm accepted, so pretty excited but also scared to tell people until I get the email in case I'm hallucinating or something. I'm so sorry to everyone who didn't get in. Hang in there everyone. And to those who are still waiting to hear back, please try to do what you can to get your mind off of it and ease your anxiety. This was brutal y'all. 

does it say invited ?

On 4/13/2022 at 5:42 PM, ManukaHoney said:

FYI: counselling is very different than therapy. The MeD program allows you to provide therapy. 

You do not need a counselling degree to provide counselling. Recruiters usually look for experience . I’ve actuallly gotten a few interviews for counselling positions and I have a BA in psych. Correct me if i am wrong @Pizza Ovenz

Yes, I found that out in the interview process and after consulting a friend of mine who is a registered psychologist in Saskatchewan.  The counselling programs at U of T only provides 250 hours practicum. It's not a program to train clinical work or therapy. All the MA counselling programs including Western, Ottawa, SFU etc.. are doing that except maybe Guelph (family therapy) and McMaster (clinical therapy). So when I got an offer from McMaster I took the acceptance and found out during my interview with Western that the counselling program wasn't what I was looking for. 

You do need some sort of education whether it's a college or university in psychology and some practical training to do professional counselling in specific fields and accreditation in certain provinces. It's a mess/ patchwork of different legal requirements from province to province. Some doesn't require at all while others do. You can hang your sign that you're doing counselling/therapy in Saskatchewan and no one will arrest you, but in Ontario it's a different story.

4 hours ago, JustTryingMyBest said:

Congrats! I DM’d you can you please check ur inbox :)

8 hours ago, Counselling43 said:

Has anyone heard anything back from UNB or UNBC? 

I didn't apply to UNBC this year, but last year myself and another applicant did not get a rejection notice until May 23rd! In my opinion, informing their applicants of their decision that late is disrespectful, and I decided not to re-apply there. But please let us know if you hear back from UNB.

10 hours ago, Cubz said:

Fantastic, you're admitted then! A lot of people first received the update on ACORN first, then the letter/sgs update came in 2 days. Congrats! 

Thank you so much for clarifying! :):) Congrats to everyone else as well! And thanks to the person that created this group which has really been my support system through this. 

On 4/14/2022 at 8:38 PM, PsychMocha said:

Yes, I found that out in the interview process and after consulting a friend of mine who is a registered psychologist in Saskatchewan.  The counselling programs at U of T only provides 250 hours practicum. It's not a program to train clinical work or therapy. All the MA counselling programs including Western, Ottawa, SFU etc.. are doing that except maybe Guelph (family therapy) and McMaster (clinical therapy). So when I got an offer from McMaster I took the acceptance and found out during my interview with Western that the counselling program wasn't what I was looking for. 

You do need some sort of education whether it's a college or university in psychology and some practical training to do professional counselling in specific fields and accreditation in certain provinces. It's a mess/ patchwork of different legal requirements from province to province. Some doesn't require at all while others do. You can hang your sign that you're doing counselling/therapy in Saskatchewan and no one will arrest you, but in Ontario it's a different story.

To add: Laurier's spiritual and psychotherapy program is in the same group as Guelph and McMaster. And like Guelph, you don't need a background in psych. And because you're at Laurier, you can also take the certifications (on addiction, CBT...etc). that's available to MSW students. 

Edited by TherapyTT

Hey everyone. Also got my acceptance earlier this week to OISE's counselling program. I  was kind of in shock to be honest. So many amazing applicants here who I know were equally deserving of a spot.

Just wanted to say thanks to the community here (and to those from last year's forum as well), y'all really helped me to create a competitive application and got me through all the anxiety of waiting it out ?. Feel free to dm if you have any questions or anything like that.

I know someone asked about stats for people who got accepted. I won't bother to list it all out unless anyone is specifically interested (my practical experience is comparable to the other people who were accepted).

Good luck to everyone for next year and congrats to everyone who was accepted!!