Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

22 hours ago, HumanBean said:

Hey everyone. Also got my acceptance earlier this week to OISE's counselling program. I  was kind of in shock to be honest. So many amazing applicants here who I know were equally deserving of a spot.

Just wanted to say thanks to the community here (and to those from last year's forum as well), y'all really helped me to create a competitive application and got me through all the anxiety of waiting it out ?. Feel free to dm if you have any questions or anything like that.

I know someone asked about stats for people who got accepted. I won't bother to list it all out unless anyone is specifically interested (my practical experience is comparable to the other people who were accepted).

Good luck to everyone for next year and congrats to everyone who was accepted!!

congrats! what were your stats 

8 hours ago, psyc1818 said:

congrats! what were your stats 

Thanks so much! Here are my stats at the time of my application:

• 4 months volunteering in a residential mental health program
  • 8 months as an emotional support home-visitor for women facing post-partum depression
  • 2 years as an overnight volunteer on a sexual assault crisis line 
  • 1 year working in transitional housing for women fleeing domestic violence
  • 1 year working as a counsellor for women fleeing domestic violence (it was a govt-funded program that allowed people with BAs or BSWs to work as counsellors, unfortunately this term is unregulated in my province. I made sure to discuss how I dealt with this ethical challenge in my application). 
  • 2 years as a research assistant in a clinical psychology lab (included an independent research project)

References:

• manager at current job
  • clinical supervisor at my current job
  • PI at my clinical psychology lab

Letter-writing content/process:

I didn't discuss my research experience at all in my application, but did include them in my CV. In my letter, I chose salient learning experiences from each helping position I had, and made sure to explain how the experience increased my understanding of the clinical intervention/approach I was using in that role (e.g., person-centered, harm-reduction, anti-oppressive, feminist, trauma-informed, etc.). Where possible, I related that learning experience to a course in OISE's CP curriculum. There are so many ways to write the letter, of course, this is just what worked for me. I'm posting the guidelines I followed below (found in last year's forum)! 

屏幕快照 2021-01-13 下午1.43.20.png

2 hours ago, JustTryingMyBest said:

Hey everyone! Is anyone on the same boat as me; acorn has updated saying “invited” but still no email or update through the sgs portal? Others have told me that I’m accepted and there’s just a delay in getting the official email but I’m kind of catastrophising.. 

Yes! I just called OISE admissions and they said they see on my file that there is a decision ready to be released and it should be coming anyway now, but they said that if it already says invited that is a good sign (the person on the phone wasn't able to access what the decision was)

12 hours ago, HumanBean said:

Thanks so much! Here are my stats at the time of my application:

• 4 months volunteering in a residential mental health program
  • 8 months as an emotional support home-visitor for women facing post-partum depression
  • 2 years as an overnight volunteer on a sexual assault crisis line 
  • 1 year working in transitional housing for women fleeing domestic violence
  • 1 year working as a counsellor for women fleeing domestic violence (it was a govt-funded program that allowed people with BAs or BSWs to work as counsellors, unfortunately this term is unregulated in my province. I made sure to discuss how I dealt with this ethical challenge in my application). 
  • 2 years as a research assistant in a clinical psychology lab (included an independent research project)

References:

• manager at current job
  • clinical supervisor at my current job
  • PI at my clinical psychology lab

Letter-writing content/process:

I didn't discuss my research experience at all in my application, but did include them in my CV. In my letter, I chose salient learning experiences from each helping position I had, and made sure to explain how the experience increased my understanding of the clinical intervention/approach I was using in that role (e.g., person-centered, harm-reduction, anti-oppressive, feminist, trauma-informed, etc.). Where possible, I related that learning experience to a course in OISE's CP curriculum. There are so many ways to write the letter, of course, this is just what worked for me. I'm posting the guidelines I followed below (found in last year's forum)! 

屏幕快照 2021-01-13 下午1.43.20.png

Hey thanks so much for this. Did you use 3 references? From my understanding they only require 2 ?

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone have any experience or information regarding deferring an acceptance? 

I'm not sure if I can do this easily and if master's programs accept deferrals. 

Please let me know if you have any insight :)

Thank you! 

Hi everyone,

I was waitlisted at Mac's Psychotherapy Program in Feb for an interview possibly. And I contacted the program advisor in March to inquire when I can hear from them for an interview..and they had said around end of March possibly...so I wanted to inquire if anyone has heard from Mac for 2nd round of interview's I guess. ...

Edited by Decaf22

Hey everyone,

Crazy turn of events...I got into OISE MEd Counselling! I'm still in shock since my track record hasn't been good (rejected everywhere last year including OISE and rejected everywhere except OISE this year).

I actually got the email yesterday saying my status had been updated, but refused to check until today since I fully expected a rejection and wanted to enjoy the end of my long weekend haha.

While I don't consider myself an expert on applications (personal statements, resumes etc.) I would be happy to share my stats and documents if anyone is interested! 

Edited by lmw1496

16 hours ago, lmw1496 said:

Hey everyone,

Crazy turn of events...I got into OISE MEd Counselling! I'm still in shock since my track record hasn't been good (rejected everywhere last year including OISE and rejected everywhere except OISE this year).

I actually got the email yesterday saying my status had been updated, but refused to check until today since I fully expected a rejection and wanted to enjoy the end of my long weekend haha.

While I don't consider myself an expert on applications (personal statements, resumes etc.) I would be happy to share my stats and documents if anyone is interested! 

Congratulations! It must feel great :) Yes, I am curious about your stats and documents were because I am wondering what it takes to be admitted there. Also, what other schools did you apply to?

7 hours ago, Jamie1 said:

Congratulations! It must feel great :) Yes, I am curious about your stats and documents were because I am wondering what it takes to be admitted there. Also, what other schools did you apply to?

Thanks so much! Absolutely, no problem :) I'm gonna message you with the documents! If anyone else is interested, PM me and I'll send them to you as well!

I also applied to UBC and UVic with the same stats and was rejected from both

On 4/7/2022 at 8:22 AM, carlrogersfan98 said:

If you decline after the deadline, do students on the waitlist still get offered spots? I know the deadline for U of L was a while ago so I'm unsure how U of L approaches this. Perhaps you lose your deposit and that's it?

Also - I saw you're headed to U of C now! I'm going to the M.Sc in Counselling Psych program there, see you around hahaha :)

Yes I think that's how it works! I'm assuming they reach people on the waitlist?

See you in the fall!

On 4/19/2022 at 10:15 AM, hoy0731 said:

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone have any experience or information regarding deferring an acceptance? 

I'm not sure if I can do this easily and if master's programs accept deferrals. 

Please let me know if you have any insight :)

Thank you! 

To my knowledge, I don't think you can. In the acceptance letters that I've received they state there are no deferrals, and instead you would need to reapply in the next year and do the whole application again. However, it may differ depending on which school you apply to. 

1 hour ago, lmw1496 said:

Thanks so much! Absolutely, no problem :) I'm gonna message you with the documents! If anyone else is interested, PM me and I'll send them to you as well!

I also applied to UBC and UVic with the same stats and was rejected from both

I'm also interested!! Congratulations!!!