Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

For anyone affected by the Guelph news: I encourage you to keep reaching out and complaining to as many bodies as possible. I've worked in (undergrad) admissions at schools in both Canada and the US, and I can tell you that Guelph's actions are highly unethical by literally any standard that exists anywhere--and there are tons of ethics boards/requirements that would want to know. I'd start here...

https://oucqa.ca/what-we-do/what-we-do-in-quality-assurance/

https://cou.ca/

https://www.nacacnet.org/

https://www.ouac.on.ca/

You could also try the Ombudsperson for U of G-- they also have an ethical mandate to be impartial. 

Sorry this happened to you all. Unbelievably disappointing, and they deserve to be held accountable for taking your money and time. 

14 hours ago, PsychMocha said:

I received an email from Western University today advising of an interview on March 11, 2022 with Dr. Susan Rodger and Dr. Jason Brown. Very happy to received the news. It seems Western is late this year to the process as McMaster already interviewed me on February 14. 

Congrats!! Wondering if you’d be willing to share stats? Please feel free to pm if that’s more comfortable! Thanks :)

17 hours ago, optimisticfutureinpsyc said:

has anyone heard back from u of a (course based, counselling psyc) yet? 

I haven’t heard anything yet! I’m hoping maybe next week… someone said last year they got accepted on February 22, so hopefully we’ll hear back sometime soon 

2 hours ago, MHTherapy said:

has anybody else heard from western??? hoping today's my lucky day

Nothing on my end :( anyone else?

Does anyone know if they have sent waitlist emails? or second round of interview emails?

11 minutes ago, PsycTherapy said:

Nothing on my end :( anyone else?

Does anyone know if they have sent waitlist emails? or second round of interview emails?

I read in the forums last year that their second interview rounds were sent in April ish I believe. I haven’t heard anything yet either. 

11 minutes ago, sara_2024 said:

I read in the forums last year that their second interview rounds were sent in April ish I believe. I haven’t heard anything yet either. 

I hate this waiting game, like they cant expect students to just sit here and wait :(

6 minutes ago, MHTherapy said:

I find it so weird that only one person has reported having an interview invite for western so far

I only know one other person who got an interview invite from western yesterday

10 minutes ago, mazzie said:

To the people asking about uOttawa, I applied to the MA(Ed) in Counselling Psychology program and got rejected to this program but got automatically admitted to the M(Ed) in Counselling Psychology coursework program which I am thinking of accepting. I hope this helps! 

Super helpful to know! And congratulations :) when did you find that out? Did you get an email? 

6 hours ago, wannabetherapist said:

For anyone affected by the Guelph news: I encourage you to keep reaching out and complaining to as many bodies as possible. I've worked in (undergrad) admissions at schools in both Canada and the US, and I can tell you that Guelph's actions are highly unethical by literally any standard that exists anywhere--and there are tons of ethics boards/requirements that would want to know. I'd start here...

https://oucqa.ca/what-we-do/what-we-do-in-quality-assurance/

https://cou.ca/

https://www.nacacnet.org/

https://www.ouac.on.ca/

You could also try the Ombudsperson for U of G-- they also have an ethical mandate to be impartial. 

Sorry this happened to you all. Unbelievably disappointing, and they deserve to be held accountable for taking your money and time. 

I know what I'll be doing over the weekend. Thank you!

I feel particularly frustrated because I applied solely to Guelph because of location constraints (I am a mature student and my husband works full time so we cannot re-locate).

5 minutes ago, 2020vision said:

I know what I'll be doing over the weekend. Thank you!

I feel particularly frustrated because I applied solely to Guelph because of location constraints (I am a mature student and my husband works full time so we cannot re-locate).

I am SO sorry to hear this...that is completely not fair and i really hope Guelph takes responsibility for their actions, or at least has the decency to send out an apologetic and empathetic email. I really feel for you.

1 hour ago, M.Ed123 said:

Super helpful to know! And congratulations :) when did you find that out? Did you get an email? 

Thank you! I found out a few days ago on Monday through the uozone portal which changed the status of my application to "admitted" and received an email two days later indicating that the status of my application has been updated. 

57 minutes ago, psyc1818 said:

congrats! when did you receive your acceptance, and was it via email or the portal? 

Both! I checked through the portal first and saw that the application was admitted. A few days later, uOttawa sent me an email indicating that the status of my application has been updated.

51 minutes ago, mazzie said:

Both! I checked through the portal first and saw that the application was admitted. A few days later, uOttawa sent me an email indicating that the status of my application has been updated.

did you apply to both the MA and Med course based? or they automatically you accepted you into the Med without you applying? (asking because i’ve heard this has happened in the past with uottawa)

I just got a refusal letter from Guelph for FRAN program. Apparently they decided to deny people and pretend like they didn't qualify instead of giving an honest answer that their program is not taking any students this year.  That's very dishonest of them! Grrr.... now I'm pissed.

7 minutes ago, PsychMocha said:

I just got a refusal letter from Guelph for FRAN program. Apparently they decided to deny people and pretend like they didn't qualify instead of giving an honest answer that their program is not taking any students this year.  That's very dishonest of them! Grrr.... now I'm pissed.

I just received this as well. I'm feeling really fired up and sending in my complaints as suggested above!

I would honestly encourage you folks to collaborate on the Guelph reports. Someone who got a letter/email saying they're not accepting applicants, and someone who got a letter/email saying they were denied admission--send those together to the bodies I mentioned above. That alone shows inconsistency, which is unethical. If you can grab screenshots of the website too, all the better to fight your case. 

• For context.... I didn't apply to Guelph, but I've worked for almost a decade in admissions and it's so, so disheartening to see this type of thing happen. This process is so vulnerable and challenging for applicants regardless of the program or degree level, not to mention folks making life plans based on it! Misleading potential students is never okay, and while I understand that things happen (faculty get sick and go on leave, or take sabbaticals, and aren't available to supervise, etc), Guelph has messed this up royally in a lot of ways. Those emails are despicable--where is the basic customer service, never mind tact and consideration for folks trying to do good in the world? Ugh. My heart is hurting for you all. I hope we can collectively hold them accountable. 
Edited by wannabetherapist

1 hour ago, psyc1818 said:

did you apply to both the MA and Med course based? or they automatically you accepted you into the Med without you applying? (asking because i’ve heard this has happened in the past with uottawa)

The latter! They automatically admitted me into the M(Ed) program without me having to apply for it. 

1 hour ago, PsychMocha said:

1 hour ago, 2020vision said:

I just received this as well. I'm feeling really fired up and sending in my complaints as suggested above!

i also received my “official rejection” from guelph cft. i laughed out loud at the part where it says “Admission is based on a careful evaluation of each candidate's application, taking into account academic achievement, preparation for advanced study, comments from referees and research interests of applicants.” …. we weren’t even considered for the program because it isn’t even happening? it is appalling that they chose to act as if we were all simply rejected. it is also so disheartening, especially to think that if it wasn’t for this forum, applicants would actually just be thinking they didn’t make the cut, being completely unaware that nobody was ever going to make the cut. their actions are a complete disappointment and their reputation has gone down the drain in one swoop.. i truly hope applicants for future application seasons see what transpired for fall 2022 and don’t even bother applying, especially knowing that this could easily happen again as they clearly have no intentions on broadcasting this OR even refunding applicants (which is the LEAST they could do).

51 minutes ago, wannabetherapist said:

I would honestly encourage you folks to collaborate on the Guelph reports. Someone who got a letter/email saying they're not accepting applicants, and someone who got a letter/email saying they were denied admission--send those together to the bodies I mentioned above. That alone shows inconsistency, which is unethical. If you can grab screenshots of the website too, all the better to fight your case. 

• For context.... I didn't apply to Guelph, but I've worked for almost a decade in admissions and it's so, so disheartening to see this type of thing happen. This process is so vulnerable and challenging for applicants regardless of the program or degree level, not to mention folks making life plans based on it! Misleading potential students is never okay, and while I understand that things happen (faculty get sick and go on leave, or take sabbaticals, and aren't available to supervise, etc), Guelph has messed this up royally in a lot of ways. Those emails are despicable--where is the basic customer service, never mind tact and consideration for folks trying to do good in the world? Ugh. My heart is hurting for you all. I hope we can collectively hold them accountable. 

Yes, I agree with this completely. I currently have the time and capacity to take this on, so I'm happy to compile information. Feel free to send me a DM if you have anything you'd like to share. Particularly if you were accepted to the shortlist OR if you've reached out to the program to ask if they're running in 2022/ask for a refund.