Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

33 minutes ago, never stop dreaming said:

Asked about a refund, received this:

"You will not be refunded. 

, received this:

"You will not be refunded. As I mentioned, before the decision was made not to take applicants, applicants were shortlisted and you did not make the shortlist.

Thanks,

Shauna

Shauna Porter | Graduate Program Assistant
Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition | University of Guelph
MINS 249 | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 53968 | fran.graduate@uoguelph.ca 

I wonder if this could be taken up with the ministry of education or something?

This is absolutely not fair.  If they were planning to take applicants for 2023 then that should have been mentioned before people applied.  

3 minutes ago, TeeM2022 said:

I wonder if this could be taken up with the ministry of education or something?

This is absolutely not fair.  If they were planning to take applicants for 2023 then that should have been mentioned before people applied.  

as annoyed as i am about the time/money applicants dedicated to the program, im even more annoyed with how non-empathetic these responses are. they just sound annoyed with students reaching out which just speaks to their entire attitude towards applicants and the program (that its a money grab instead of accepting students for the purpose of educating society). 

52 minutes ago, never stop dreaming said:

Asked about a refund, received this:

"You will not be refunded. As I mentioned, before the decision was made not to take applicants, applicants were shortlisted and you did not make the shortlist.

Thanks,

Shauna

Shauna Porter | Graduate Program Assistant
Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition | University of Guelph
MINS 249 | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 53968 | fran.graduate@uoguelph.ca 
"

This is the worst response she could have given. No remorse or concern for the applicants at all. They’re absolutely not getting away with this bs. Unacceptable.

1 hour ago, MHTherapy said:

This is the worst response she could have given. No remorse or concern for the applicants at all. They’re absolutely not getting away with this bs. Unacceptable.

Yea the appropriate response by the program would have been to reach out to all applicants, explain the situation and then ASK if you want your application to be reviewed for Fall 2023. Then if you say yes, no refund. But to just automatically keep your money and say we reviewed for Fall 2023 is so wrong. Who even knows if those applicants want to go there for Fall 2023. You can't keep money for a school year people didn't apply for.

It really seems as though they were not planning on letting this information out so they wouldn't need to give refunds. It really feels like such a scam and I think for the money we all paid to apply, we at least deserve some real answers. 

I just submitted a complaint to the Ontario Ombudsman. I'll let you all know how it goes. Here is the complaint form if anyone else wants to submit one.

2 hours ago, 2020vision said:

It really seems as though they were not planning on letting this information out so they wouldn't need to give refunds. It really feels like such a scam and I think for the money we all paid to apply, we at least deserve some real answers. 

I just submitted a complaint to the Ontario Ombudsman. I'll let you all know how it goes. Here is the complaint form if anyone else wants to submit one.

Thank you for this. Submitted my complaint as well

5 hours ago, 2020vision said:

Do we have any information as to whether Guelph plans on letting those who are 'shortlisted' (as they claim) know about this during this application season? Are they planning to interview students NOW for fall 2023, or are they going to wait and do interviews next year? Are we going to be receiving an official email about the program not running? 

If they aren't running the program, that sucks but that's life. But we need to be updated about what is happening to the applications they have not rejected yet.

I found out some more information in relation to Guelphs CFT issues. After speaking with a friend who was shortlisted it seems that they have told all shortlisted candidates that they will not be interviewing them now. The Fall 2022 program has been cancelled, but they are guaranteed an interview for Fall 2023.

On a side note has anyone heard from Western at all? or has tried to email them? 

I don't know about all of you but I am really starting to feel discouraged and just frustrated with this entire application year :(

4 minutes ago, PsycTherapy said:

I found out some more information in relation to Guelphs CFT issues. After speaking with a friend who was shortlisted it seems that they have told all shortlisted candidates that they will not be interviewing them now. The Fall 2022 program has been cancelled, but they are guaranteed an interview for Fall 2023.

On a side note has anyone heard from Western at all? or has tried to email them? 

I don't know about all of you but I am really starting to feel discouraged and just frustrated with this entire application year :(

Would you mind sharing when your friend who was shortlisted was notified of this?

Still can’t believe Guelph CFT had no intentions on informing us that there wasn’t going to be a Fall 2022 program. ?

2 minutes ago, never stop dreaming said:

Would you mind sharing when your friend who was shortlisted was notified of this?

Still can’t believe Guelph CFT had no intentions on informing us that there wasn’t going to be a Fall 2022 program. ?

I am not sure of the specific date, I know it was around the time everyone was getting their rejection emails. I will say though that in the email she received it stated that she had been shortlisted but would not be interviewed as there would be no Fall 2022 program and she has the opportunity to interview next February for the Fall 2023 program start. So with that said they knew even before they did interviews/ sent out decisions that they would not be running a program.

I hope that helps clarify things.

11 minutes ago, PsycTherapy said:

After speaking with a friend who was shortlisted it seems that they have told all shortlisted candidates that they will not be interviewing them now. The Fall 2022 program has been cancelled, but they are guaranteed an interview for Fall 2023.

So all they have done is said some candidates need to pay to re-apply and some candidates don't. Guaranteeing an interview doesn't guarantee a spot.

1 hour ago, optimisticfutureinpsyc said:

has anyone heard back from u of a (course based, counselling psyc) yet? 

They emailed those who were waitlisted but I don't think they gave acceptances or rejections yet for some reason

I received an email from Western University today advising of an interview on March 11, 2022 with Dr. Susan Rodger and Dr. Jason Brown. Very happy to received the news. It seems Western is late this year to the process as McMaster already interviewed me on February 14. 

Edited by PsychMocha

19 minutes ago, PsychMocha said:

I received an email from Western University today advising of an interview on March 11, 2022 with Dr. Susan Roger and Dr. Jason Brown. Very happy to received the news. It seems Western is late this year to the process as McMaster already interviewed me on February 14. 

Omg that is amazing! Congratulations. Would you mind sharing if you had contacted the supervisors before? 

27 minutes ago, PsychMocha said:

I received an email from Western University today advising of an interview on March 11, 2022 with Dr. Susan Rodger and Dr. Jason Brown. Very happy to received the news. It seems Western is late this year to the process as McMaster already interviewed me on February 14. 

that's amazing, congratulations! Would you mind if i ask if your portal status changed?

I submitted my complaint about Guelph as well. They took our money and mislead all the applicants.

I applied 5 counselling programs so far OISIE, Guelph, Ottawa, Western and McMaster.  Guelph is out, waitlisted for Ottawa and interview for Western and McMaster. I guess I won't hear anything from OISIE until late March. I'll probably kick myself pretty hard if i didn't pass any of the interviews.

19 minutes ago, PsychMocha said:

I submitted my complaint about Guelph as well. They took our money and mislead all the applicants.

I applied 5 counselling programs so far OISIE, Guelph, Ottawa, Western and McMaster.  Guelph is out, waitlisted for Ottawa and interview for Western and McMaster. I guess I won't hear anything from OISIE until late March. I'll probably kick myself pretty hard if i didn't pass any of the interviews.

Don't lose hope yet. I'm also so upset about what happened with Guelph because it was my top program, and I'm trying to stay strong that one of the other schools will come through. If you got interviews for Western and Mac you must have awesome applications!