Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

12 minutes ago, anxiouspsyc said:

Question for anyone who applied to UOttawa: 

Does anyone still have their application under review? Im wondering if they have given out acceptances yet but all I've seen are waitlists (and like a lot of them)?

Does anyone think its possible that they might have done a first round of rejections + waitlists and then going through the waitlists and accepting from there? (I know thats not the general way grad schools do it, but could this be a possibility?)

Also got waitlisted on the 17th. I’m wondering the same thing since i’ve only heard people being waitlisted or rejected. I’m wondering if they are making decisions in rounds until they have reviewed everyone’s applications and sending out acceptances based off the waitlist? Just my assumption since no one has reported an acceptance yet. 

1 minute ago, _bellaxo said:

Also got waitlisted on the 17th. I’m wondering the same thing since i’ve only heard people being waitlisted or rejected. I’m wondering if they are making decisions in rounds until they have reviewed everyone’s applications and sending out acceptances based off the waitlist? Just my assumption since no one has reported an acceptance yet. 

Im thinking the same exact thing! (I hope its not just wishful thinking, but it would make sense!)

51 minutes ago, anxiouspsyc said:

Im thinking the same exact thing! (I hope its not just wishful thinking, but it would make sense!)

im confused about ottawa myself as well. the program is rolling admission. given they sent out rejections (and no acceptances from what i can tell), i also think they're waitlisting those who are qualified in order and then will soon send out those acceptances. it's kind of odd to me since the program itself only accepts 30 students but it seems like WAY more got waitlisted. 

1 hour ago, MHTherapy said:

Yeah I'm really not sure what to think of all of this. I was thinking of emailing them and just straight up asking if this is true since it's already circulating on the internet. But at the same time I don't have hopes that they will respond lol. There is still hope since your status hasn't changed! But they usually reach out by now to interview people because their decisions are sent out in mid march. Very confusing.

sadly, they wont be accepting anybody. i know that money isn't as valuable as our time, but it's still annoying to think they wont give us our money back

Edited by triangulum21

1 minute ago, triangulum21 said:

im confused about ottawa myself as well. the program is rolling admission. given they sent out rejections (and no acceptances from what i can tell), i also think they're waitlisting those who are qualified in order and then will soon send out those acceptances. it's kind of odd to me since the program itself only accepts 30 students but it seems like WAY more got waitlisted. 

I noticed this too, based on the results forum and this forum there's at least 10 people who have said they've been waitlisted (given that obv not everyone even uses this forum, im assuming there are way more) .. if they accept ~30 how many can really be on the actual waitlist ? Im hoping we will see some acceptances roll out soon and have some clarity on this.

Just now, anxiouspsyc said:

I noticed this too, based on the results forum and this forum there's at least 10 people who have said they've been waitlisted (given that obv not everyone even uses this forum, im assuming there are way more) .. if they accept ~30 how many can really be on the actual waitlist ? Im hoping we will see some acceptances roll out soon and have some clarity on this.

exactly...i got so excited when i was waitlisted but i noticed that many others' portals were also waitlist pending so now i'm thinking they waitlisted like 100 people and then will go through those 100 then accept 30?

1 minute ago, triangulum21 said:

exactly...i got so excited when i was waitlisted but i noticed that many others' portals were also waitlist pending so now i'm thinking they waitlisted like 100 people and then will go through those 100 then accept 30?

Totally! I also got excited thinking that I had a chance, but then I saw soooo many people were waitlisted, just made me wonder if they just told us we're waitlisted to go through a second round of admission review and so on..

Just now, anxiouspsyc said:

Totally! I also got excited thinking that I had a chance, but then I saw soooo many people were waitlisted, just made me wonder if they just told us we're waitlisted to go through a second round of admission review and so on..

ugh...this entire waiting game is literally torture... and to think that schools like OISE wont even get back to us till possibly May?!?!?

2 minutes ago, triangulum21 said:

ugh...this entire waiting game is literally torture... and to think that schools like OISE wont even get back to us till possibly May?!?!?

I feel you! The day before the results came out I just finished complaining to my family how this waiting is torture.. felt like it was a joke from the universe that i was waitlisted and have to wait even more ?

For OISE Im hoping we find out in March but last year some people literally heard in May .. I hope this doesnt happen this year

5 minutes ago, anxiouspsyc said:

I feel you! The day before the results came out I just finished complaining to my family how this waiting is torture.. felt like it was a joke from the universe that i was waitlisted and have to wait even more ?

For OISE Im hoping we find out in March but last year some people literally heard in May .. I hope this doesnt happen this year

LITERALLY! i know some who applied last year and said they forgot about applications until they got their admission decisions and i don't know how they did it. it's literally all i can think about all day. and the days couldn't go by any slower. i just feel like every school is boosting now...like if mac finished interviewing everyone then why do they have to wait until mid-end march to send out decisions...the universe hates us ☠️

Edited by triangulum21

2 minutes ago, triangulum21 said:

LITERALLY! i know some who applied last year and said they forgot about applications until they got their admission decisions and i don't know how they did it. it's literally all i can think about all day. and the days couldn't go by any slower. i just feel like every school is boosting now...like f mac finished interviewing everyone then why do they have to wait until mid-end march to send out decisions...the universe hates us ☠️

AHAH literallyyyyy, its all i think about... like i need to know what my life will be like in a few months lol

I was going through the counselling psych forum for last year and while some people reported doing their interview in early march for western, others also reported being invited to interview some time in april. So I guess there might be a waitlist or second round type of system for western as well. it is extremelyyyy tough right now to be patient.

1 hour ago, MHTherapy said:

Yeah I'm really not sure what to think of all of this. I was thinking of emailing them and just straight up asking if this is true since it's already circulating on the internet. But at the same time I don't have hopes that they will respond lol. There is still hope since your status hasn't changed! But they usually reach out by now to interview people because their decisions are sent out in mid march. Very confusing.

I emailed them today and heard back. Yes the program isn’t accepting this year. *Apparently* they did interview people for 2023 entry, but I’m not sure I really believe them lol, I think it’s just an excuse to not give people their application fee money back. But that last part is just my opinion! 

2 minutes ago, psychbee said:

I emailed them today and heard back. Yes the program isn’t accepting this year. *Apparently* they did interview people for 2023 entry, but I’m not sure I really believe them lol, I think it’s just an excuse to not give people their application fee money back. But that last part is just my opinion! 

wow… i’m speechless

and still so confused why my portal says “all documents received” still… 

Edited by never stop dreaming

6 minutes ago, psychbee said:

wow, thank you for sharing this! In all honesty, I lost all respect for Guelph after all of this. Really disturbing to think that they would do this to applicants. Super, super upsetting

3 hours ago, MHTherapy said:

Hi guys. Some concerning news:

I was on the grad forum results page to see if anyone had reported getting an interview with Guelph, and the last poster had posted this on February 17th: As someone with some information to share: Apparently, the CFT program is going through some changes and will not be interviewing/accepting students for Fall 2022. I would imagine the department will communicate something to applicants in the coming weeks. I am sorry to share this unfortunate news.

Obviously, take this with a grain of salt as I am unsure how accurate this is, however it makes a lot of sense. I saw on the CFT FAQ page during applications that they were removing the major thesis component for the thesis stream starting F23. So perhaps due to this major change they would have to go through an extensive process to become accredited again. Not entirely sure but just making guesses at this point. Now it kind of makes sense why all of us were just getting rejected left and right with no logical reasoning. And I guess this is also why we haven't heard of anyone getting an interview invite. It's truly really frustrating if this post is true because even if they refund us the money, they can't give back our time and effort that we all put into these applications just for them to not accept anyone this year. Very upsetting. Please feel free to share your thoughts!

Take care.

Results page link: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?per_page=20&q=&institution=University+of+Guelph&program=couple+and+family+therapy&degree=Masters

CFT FAQ page link: https://family.uoguelph.ca/information-cft-applicants

3 hours ago, MHTherapy said:

Hi guys. Some concerning news:

I was on the grad forum results page to see if anyone had reported getting an interview with Guelph, and the last poster had posted this on February 17th: As someone with some information to share: Apparently, the CFT program is going through some changes and will not be interviewing/accepting students for Fall 2022. I would imagine the department will communicate something to applicants in the coming weeks. I am sorry to share this unfortunate news.

Obviously, take this with a grain of salt as I am unsure how accurate this is, however it makes a lot of sense. I saw on the CFT FAQ page during applications that they were removing the major thesis component for the thesis stream starting F23. So perhaps due to this major change they would have to go through an extensive process to become accredited again. Not entirely sure but just making guesses at this point. Now it kind of makes sense why all of us were just getting rejected left and right with no logical reasoning. And I guess this is also why we haven't heard of anyone getting an interview invite. It's truly really frustrating if this post is true because even if they refund us the money, they can't give back our time and effort that we all put into these applications just for them to not accept anyone this year. Very upsetting. Please feel free to share your thoughts!

Take care.

Results page link: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?per_page=20&q=&institution=University+of+Guelph&program=couple+and+family+therapy&degree=Masters

CFT FAQ page link: https://family.uoguelph.ca/information-cft-applicants

Here is my response to my email asking if this info was true, and if we would be getting out money back. 

609B3E61-D9D1-489C-8BF0-AB846EFC783D.jpeg

13 minutes ago, psychbee said:

Here is my response to my email asking if this info was true, and if we would be getting out money back. 

This is so beyond upsetting. Not only did people put in time, effort, and money into these applications, but they also had hope. and now Guelph just turns their back and says "nevermind we cant take anyone this year"...?????? absolute bs in my opinion. Also short listing applicants to interview for NEXT YEAR is so beyond stupid because if they get an offer elsewhere they're going to take that instead of hoping that they'll make it through interviews for a spot at Guelph. Universities are so heartless, all they see is business and money, even if it's at the expense of their own students/applicants. Very very upsetting. I am so sorry for all of us who applied to Guelph this year, I share your anger. Also Guelph better prepare for the strongly-worded email I will be sending out to them. In no case is it accceptable for them to keep the money and not accept any students. Even if they did interview some or make a shortlist of those they would like to interview for next year, the fact remains that they aren't taking any students this year. That in itself is enough grounds to warrant a refund to every applicant. It feels like our emotions and time were played with. SOOOO upset about this right now.

Edited by MHTherapy

13 minutes ago, psychbee said:

Lol wow, such a wild response. I honestly think they're using the excuse of shortlisting people for next year as a way to not refund applicants. But the reality is, people applied for Fall 2022 admission, not Fall 2023. So if you're not accepting any students for Fall 2022, you should refund them. Their response almost implies that they won't be accepting applications next year because they already have their shortlist. However, I would be shocked if they didn't let people apply next year, so they can collect application fees again lol. 

The lack of transparency by only saying "unforeseen circumstances" and waiting for people to reach out to them rather than sending a mass email to explain the situation is also a major red flag. Definitely not a program I would consider applying to in the future. 

21 minutes ago, never stop dreaming said:

thought I would share, my status remains as “all documents received” but I reached out to Shauna and the reply was the exact same email that was sent to Psychbee. 

Asked about a refund, received this:

"You will not be refunded. As I mentioned, before the decision was made not to take applicants, applicants were shortlisted and you did not make the shortlist.

Thanks,

Shauna

Shauna Porter | Graduate Program Assistant
Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition | University of Guelph
MINS 249 | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 53968 | fran.graduate@uoguelph.ca 
"

Just now, never stop dreaming said:

Asked about a refund, received this:

"You will not be refunded. As I mentioned, before the decision was made not to take applicants, applicants were shortlisted and you did not make the shortlist.

Thanks,

Shauna

Shauna Porter | Graduate Program Assistant
Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition | University of Guelph
MINS 249 | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 53968 | fran.graduate@uoguelph.ca 
"

every person that applied was scammed.. the money was taken under false pretences.. and it's especially interesting as we have yet to hear from anyone who is on this supposed shortlist... overall, this is very unfortunate