Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

7 hours ago, ManukaHoney said:

For anyone who applied to the OISE program, I just called the admissions office and they told me that they have NOT made any decisions about applications yet and that they will be making decisions and sending them out in the next couple of weeks.

very unfortunate since the waiting already feels like forever.

I wonder if it's just one committee at OISE that makes admissions decisions on every OISE program. Because its funny (sad) that the deadline was November 15 and on March 7, they still don't know who they want to accept. I know they must be busy but what have they been doing this whole time lol

Edited by T.O.hopeful

33 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I wonder if it's just one committee at OISE that makes admissions decisions on every OISE program. Because its funny (sad) that the deadline was November 15 and on March 7, they still don't know who they want to accept. I know they must be busy but what have they been doing this whole time lol

I couldn’t agree more! 
i dont think its the same committee that makes the final decisions for all OISE programs! I think its the coordinators or the profs IN that program that end up making the decision ( speculating here) 

10 minutes ago, psyc1818 said:

Has anyone that applied for UOttawa MeD received acceptances yet? (aside from those that applied to the MA and received acceptance to the MeD instead)

My status is still “under evaluation”. I was told acceptances will go out “any day now”. I inquired about the MA and MEd (research paper stream).

5 minutes ago, firefly500 said:

My status is still “under evaluation”. I was told acceptances will go out “any day now”. I inquired about the MA and MEd (research paper stream).

Fingers crossed! I can't wait any longer...

On 3/6/2022 at 8:09 PM, imfeeling2022 said:

So I didn't because the laurier application didn't make it very clear that Snapshot was necessary, but let me know if admissions gets back to you.

I just called them, and they said the Snapshot component is not required!

On 3/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, dr.buffy said:

Haven't seen many West coaster's posting- but i received my acceptance to UVIC MA in counselling psych yesterday :) 

I have applied this year. I haven't seen anything about UBC Med Counselling program. Anyone have any update? Pls do share.

44 minutes ago, vpsych said:

I have applied this year. I haven't seen anything about UBC Med Counselling program. Anyone have any update? Pls do share.

I applied to the MEd and the MA and had an interview for the MA program in Feb, was told I should expect to hear back "around mid-March." Not sure if the MEd and the MA make offers at the same time , but it looks like in previous years applicants started hearing back around March 10th so it could be any day now. Fingers crossed for both of us!

2 hours ago, InspectorPudding said:

I applied to the MEd and the MA and had an interview for the MA program in Feb, was told I should expect to hear back "around mid-March." Not sure if the MEd and the MA make offers at the same time , but it looks like in previous years applicants started hearing back around March 10th so it could be any day now. Fingers crossed for both of us!

Has anyone heard from the mEd program?

This is what i got from UA regarding course and thesis

We have made some offers and put some on a waitlist. We have not declined anyone yet who made the review stage in case we need more to add to our waitlist. So if you did not hear, you are not on the initial lists at this time.

3 minutes ago, alexastudent said:

This is what i got from UA regarding course and thesis

We have made some offers and put some on a waitlist. We have not declined anyone yet who made the review stage in case we need more to add to our waitlist. So if you did not hear, you are not on the initial lists at this time.

I personally am having an extremely hard time understanding this. Why not make the waitlists longer then? And why are so many people considered "backups"?

50 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

I personally am having an extremely hard time understanding this. Why not make the waitlists longer then? And why are so many people considered "backups"?

This is only a guess, but I suspect they limit the number of people on waitlists so they don’t give people false hope of getting in. Given that they keep other lists/backups, it sounds like occasionally they pull beyond the waitlist, but I don’t think it’s common. I suspect so many people are backups because it ensures they fill the program in the case that an unusually high number of people decline. Last year for U of A SCCP they took 5 people, and they accepted 8 in my cohort, so there’s already so few people they accept into a program in a given year that it’s unlikely they’d need to fill several spots after acceptances. For CP, I believe they took 10 people last year. If I remember correctly, I think the numbers worked out to 6 course-based and 4 thesis-based students.

Edited by VanessaB

4 hours ago, InspectorPudding said:

Is there an interview component for MEd as well?

17 hours ago, VanessaB said:

This is only a guess, but I suspect they limit the number of people on waitlists so they don’t give people false hope of getting in. Given that they keep other lists/backups, it sounds like occasionally they pull beyond the waitlist, but I don’t think it’s common. I suspect so many people are backups because it ensures they fill the program in the case that an unusually high number of people decline. Last year for U of A SCCP they took 5 people, and they accepted 8 in my cohort, so there’s already so few people they accept into a program in a given year that it’s unlikely they’d need to fill several spots after acceptances. For CP, I believe they took 10 people last year. If I remember correctly, I think the numbers worked out to 6 course-based and 4 thesis-based students.

I mean, then they could just create a bigger waitlist and reject the rest, like most schools do. I don't think waitlisting folks is necessarily giving them false hope - although I am hoping for the best, I am assuming the worst with the schools I am waitlisted at. It's better than radio silence for those "in between" being waitlisted and rejected - had I not emailed I would have just been sitting in limbo, possibly for months.

Edited by carlrogersfan98

I just received this from McMaster today. I don't know what this means and how much it impacts their final decision. I have been interviewed by two of their professors on February 14.

Good morning,

After careful consideration, our Admissions Committee feels that you are a strong candidate for our program and we will be recommending you to our School of Graduate Studies for final review and decision.

Pending final approval from the School of Graduate Studies, a formal offer letter will be sent to you within the next 20 business days.  You will have two weeks from the date of the official letter to either accept or decline our offer of admission. We would appreciate you letting us know your decision as soon as possible as it may impact the status of other applicants.

We are excited to have you join us in September and look forward to working with you!  Congratulations!

Susan

Edited by PsychMocha

13 minutes ago, PsychMocha said:

I just received this from McMaster today. I don't know what this means and how much it impacts their final decision. I have been interviewed by two of their professors on February 14.

Good morning,

After careful consideration, our Admissions Committee feels that you are a strong candidate for our program and we will be recommending you to our School of Graduate Studies for final review and decision.

Pending final approval from the School of Graduate Studies, a formal offer letter will be sent to you within the next 20 business days.  You will have two weeks from the date of the official letter to either accept or decline our offer of admission. We would appreciate you letting us know your decision as soon as possible as it may impact the status of other applicants.

We are excited to have you join us in September and look forward to working with you!  Congratulations!

Susan

Congratulations!! :)) 

Good morning,

Susan

It's a really long-winded way of saying you'll be getting an offer lol. Congrats!! :)

31 minutes ago, PsychMocha said:

Good morning,

Susan

Congratulations, that's awesome news!!!! What time did you get the email? I wonder how soon is too soon to assume that if you haven't received any news.

On 3/8/2022 at 10:27 AM, InspectorPudding said:

I inquired into the MEd and got this response 

we will inform successful applicants in mid March or a week after mid March because the admissions committee is still reviewing some files 

3 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

It's a really long-winded way of saying you'll be getting an offer lol. Congrats!! :)

Yeah, I wonder why they decide to send that email instead of just sending an offer outright! Maybe people have been bugging them enough that they sent it out to alleviate their concerns. Sounds like the last step of sending out the offer is a rubber stamping process.

For some reason, the news hasn't hit me yet since it's not a formal acceptance letter! I still have an interview with Western this Friday that I plan to attend.

Edited by PsychMocha

Yeah, I wonder why they decide to send that email instead of just sending an offer outright! Maybe people have been bugging them enough that they sent it out to alleviate their concerns. Sounds like the last step of sending out the offer is a rubber stamping process.

For some reason, the news hasn't hit me yet since it's not a formal acceptance letter! I still have an interview with Western this Friday that I plan to attend.

It's actually something a lot of other programs do! I think its for programs where there's a committee that oversees decisions on acceptances as opposed to other programs where pretty much the POI has control over who gets accepted. I know for OISE SCCP, people received the "recommended for admission" email in February but official offers won't be sent until this month. So it's kind of a good thing to receive the recommendation email or else you'd be completely in the dark about your status until the official offer comes in a month later! 

Good luck on your Western interview! :)

Edited by T.O.hopeful