MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

Got accepted into advanced standing MSWwp at UWindsor today!

Application info for anyone interested: first In Process date was November 8, then date changed to January 7. I had about 30,000 hrs of experience and 10.74 (or 3.9) GPA in my BA and 4.0 in my 1-year BSW at Renison (will be done this June).

Good luck to everyone!! I also applied to Renison, and part time to Laurier, but Windsor was my first choice so accepted the offer. Would love to connect with others going to Windsor next fall as well!! 

3 minutes ago, FingersCrossedMSW said:

Application info for anyone interested: first In Process date was November 8, then date changed to January 7. I had about 30,000 hrs of experience and 10.74 (or 3.9) GPA in my BA and 4.0 in my 1-year BSW at Renison (will be done this June).

Good luck to everyone!! I also applied to Renison, and part time to Laurier, but Windsor was my first choice so accepted the offer. Would love to connect with others going to Windsor next fall as well!! 

I can't believe I'm just learning now that Renison has a one year bsw! If you dont mind me asking, what date was your mswwp application fully submitted?

7 minutes ago, Geralt said:

I can't believe I'm just learning now that Renison has a one year bsw! If you dont mind me asking, what date was your mswwp application fully submitted?

It’s a one year post-grad program, often paired with their SDS degree. But I did my undergrad at Laurier, just needed to have a BA including 10 specific prerequisite courses for admission to the BSW (and grades, experience, etc., it’s a competitive program). I was granted equivalency for some courses (like my psych stats courses), and cross registered at UWaterloo to get some others. 

My application was submitted in full November 7. I think I applied October 22.   Hope that helps! 

1 minute ago, FingersCrossedMSW said:

It’s a one year post-grad program, often paired with their SDS degree. But I did my undergrad at Laurier, just needed to have a BA including 10 specific prerequisite courses for admission to the BSW (and grades, experience, etc., it’s a competitive program). I was granted equivalency for some courses (like my psych stats courses), and cross registered at UWaterloo to get some others. 

My application was submitted in full November 7. I think I applied October 22.   Hope that helps! 

Ohh okay I think I do actually remember seeing it now that you've said more. I did a post-bsw at Mac so that's why I was surprised by the 1 year lol. I also submitted Nov 7 but mine didnt process until Nov 23, and then again Jan 28 so hopefully I hear back soon!

1 hour ago, FingersCrossedMSW said:

Congrats! That’s so exciting! My application submission and processing dates are identical to yours, hopefully this mean i’ll hear back this week too for non-bsw!

What time did you receive the email?

56 minutes ago, greenteaicecream said:

still have heard nothing and i live on the same street as the dal sw building - halifax folks: have you heard back yet?? 

im not in hali (im in montreal / have yet to hear anything) but maybe they sent out letters in alphabetical order? not sure, but that might explain why you have yet to receive it despite living so close. fingers crossed?

13 minutes ago, cofffeee said:

im not in hali (im in montreal / have yet to hear anything) but maybe they sent out letters in alphabetical order? not sure, but that might explain why you have yet to receive it despite living so close. fingers crossed?

my last name starts with O. how about you? 

1 hour ago, greenteaicecream said:

still have heard nothing and i live on the same street as the dal sw building - halifax folks: have you heard back yet?? 

I’m not sure why…but maybe they don’t send it out for wait lists? I have no idea honestly, just a thought!

1 hour ago, ChipDip said:

I’m so sorry…I haven’t heard anything either so I totally feel you

Oh my friends! I'm so sorry everyone is feeling the stress, I had a nice de-stress cry today in the shower, would recommend. I haven't heard anything yet either (Toronto, Ontario) and my last name starts with C. Reminding myself though, sometimes mail is unpredictable!

Hey everyone!

I’ve really enjoyed reading other’s progress updates through the application process and feeling the support from this community. So many motivated and ambitious future social workers here, each with unique professional / educational experiences. Love to see it! 

I wanted to chime in and say that I received my acceptance to Dal’s 2-year, non-BSW entry last Friday, Feb. 11th! I also live in Halifax and my last name starts with “C” so it very well could be alphabetical. 

@greenteaicecream that’s beyond frustrating you haven’t received that darn letter yet, especially living so close to their building. I hope that letter either comes to you soon or maybe you can touch base with the Graduate/ SW department about re-mailing it or inquire when they plan to update the online portal.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting for Dal’s letter or to hear from other programs :) 

Edited by sweetpotatorollgirl

Ok so weird turn of events. I just got a letter from Dal (may have arrived yesterday I am not sure) and its not an acceptance.. not a refusal.. not a waitlist.. a conditional acceptance? Has anyone received something like this?

The Master of Social Work Admissions Committee is pleased to notify you that it has recommended acceptance of your application to the Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies [...] Although the School has recommended your admission to the Dean, the final decision on your admission including any conditions related to it will be made by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. If our recommendation for your admission is approved, the University Registrar will email you an official letter of acceptance in the coming weeks.

I mean, I am not complaining, but maybe they could have waited until a decision had been made before sending a letter?

11 minutes ago, EMWC said:

Ok so weird turn of events. I just got a letter from Dal (may have arrived yesterday I am not sure) and its not an acceptance.. not a refusal.. not a waitlist.. a conditional acceptance? Has anyone received something like this?

The Master of Social Work Admissions Committee is pleased to notify you that it has recommended acceptance of your application to the Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies [...] Although the School has recommended your admission to the Dean, the final decision on your admission including any conditions related to it will be made by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. If our recommendation for your admission is approved, the University Registrar will email you an official letter of acceptance in the coming weeks.

I mean, I am not complaining, but maybe they could have waited until a decision had been made before sending a letter?

That’s normal. The sw faculty  recommends you to be accepted, the faculty of graduate studies confirms your credentials that you provided are legitimate and then you are officially accepted 

Edited by veronica58