MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 7/17/2022 at 6:33 PM, laurierapplicant101 said:

Hi everyone, 

I have been lurking around for a few days and am very happy to see so many of you getting accepted in your desired programs. 

I am looking for some advice as I plan on applying for the Part-Time Online MSW at Wilfrid Laurier University. I have recently graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Psychology (with Distinction) and want to move forward towards my academic goal of becoming a Social Worker. 

I have limited volunteer/work experience compared to a lot of you. I have worked full time in the Social Services sector for 11 months now, and have volunteered and worked part time for another 2 years. I do have a decent gpa (3.97 cumulative GPA, out of 4.33). In my last 10 half-credit courses (here in BC, they're 3 or 4 credit courses) I have about 4.27 gpa out of 4.33.

My question is, do you think I have any chance of getting in the program? I am very concerned that I don't have enough experience (I want to start in September 2023) but I do think I have a competitive gpa, although I am not sure if they only look at the last 10 half-credit or at your entire record. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Hey! It sounds like you have a good mix of experience through work and volunteer experiences, a relevant bachelor's degree, and good grades. Based on that I think you do have a good chance of getting in to an MSW program! 

I will say in my experience many people report that it can be harder to get into online MSW programs (which makes sense, because way more people apply). That said, if you can write a really strong personal statement that can increase you're chances of getting in. 

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, long-time lurker here. Looking for some advice/ thoughts on my situation.

I finished my BSW in 2018 and graduated cum laude/ with an overall high GPA. However, I ended up failing my fourth year placement and had to retake it. I've since worked full-time for about two and half years in a CYW role and then 1 year in a system navigation role (both in youth mental health). I've just started working as a youth/family clinical therapist, but I feel like my strengths might be better suited to a research oriented position.

If anyone has any links for advice on writing personal statements/ volunteer opportunities, I'd really appreciate it. Feeling anxious about applying with the focus on the most recent completed credits.

On 9/29/2022 at 11:14 AM, mmmswfood said:

Hi there, long-time lurker here. Looking for some advice/ thoughts on my situation.

I finished my BSW in 2018 and graduated cum laude/ with an overall high GPA. However, I ended up failing my fourth year placement and had to retake it. I've since worked full-time for about two and half years in a CYW role and then 1 year in a system navigation role (both in youth mental health). I've just started working as a youth/family clinical therapist, but I feel like my strengths might be better suited to a research oriented position.

If anyone has any links for advice on writing personal statements/ volunteer opportunities, I'd really appreciate it. Feeling anxious about applying with the focus on the most recent completed credits.

Hope this helps. :)   Master of Social Work Personal Statement Help

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm pretty new to this process and I was wondering if anyone knows what human services hours and average is competitive for the advanced standing msw program. And also how admission process works I.e. who reviews your application etc. I'm wondering if the process is confidential or not (our names not being accessible until they score)