MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

Hi everyone!!! Long time reader, first time poster ?

I first want to congratulate all the applicants for 2022! What a year, am I right?

For those of you that got accepted, I couldn't be happier for you. AMAZING job! And those of you still waiting, fingers crossed!!! ?

I applied to Dalhousie, University of Toronto, York, UBC, UNBC, McGill, Laurier, Windsor and Calgary. What an experience. I'm elated to report that I was accepted to all programs (last name starts with "W"). For those of you interested in my stats, I'll post them below.

GPA: 3.95 - UBC undergrad 2017-2021 (Double major, BA in theatre and women's studies) 

Hours of experience: 3500 +

Volunteer experience: Volunteer at a local country club golf,  make up/hair dresser at local retirement home

Work experience: Lifeguard, freelance pianist (I know, lol), and the Vancouver Aquarium

I feel so blessed to have gotten in especially when reading how many of you all have such incredibly varied and relevant experience. I'm not sure which to choose yet ? Any advice??? I hope all of you eventually get in to the programs you're hoping for and happy to help in any way I can!

43 minutes ago, Braydenatyourservice said:

Hi everyone!!! Long time reader, first time poster ?

I first want to congratulate all the applicants for 2022! What a year, am I right?

For those of you that got accepted, I couldn't be happier for you. AMAZING job! And those of you still waiting, fingers crossed!!! ?

I applied to Dalhousie, University of Toronto, York, UBC, UNBC, McGill, Laurier, Windsor and Calgary. What an experience. I'm elated to report that I was accepted to all programs (last name starts with "W"). For those of you interested in my stats, I'll post them below.

GPA: 3.95 - UBC undergrad 2017-2021 (Double major, BA in theatre and women's studies) 

Hours of experience: 3500 +

Volunteer experience: Volunteer at a local country club golf,  make up/hair dresser at local retirement home

Work experience: Lifeguard, freelance pianist (I know, lol), and the Vancouver Aquarium

I feel so blessed to have gotten in especially when reading how many of you all have such incredibly varied and relevant experience. I'm not sure which to choose yet ? Any advice??? I hope all of you eventually get in to the programs you're hoping for and happy to help in any way I can!

Wow! Congratulations on all that hard work and your many acceptances! I'm so happy for you that it paid off. My advice in making a decision would be to see if you can get a look at the course outlines for the program and the specific courses you want to take. When I was trying to decide between two schools, I downloaded the course outlines for both and went week by week, reading by reading, assignment by assignment to compare them and see which ones I got most excited about and which ones best fit my learning goals. It can also be helpful to contact the practicum coordinator and ask about what practicums they offer (for example, UBC specifically says in the practicum instructions that counselling practicums are very hard to get and require additional education).

I also found it helpful to consider where I wanted to work/live in the long-term. For me, I know I want to live and work in my home community so taking a program locally, where I could meet people I would likely work with and make connections with programs who might hire me was important. I am also interested in working in healthcare which is very regional and provincial so I wanted to do a program that would focus on my local context in terms of programs and policy.

I hope that helps! Talking to current students is also a good way to get an inside look at a program. It was a stressful decision to make (I actually accepted at one and paid the deposit and then ended up switching to a different program later) but in the end, I feel more confident. I had to remind myself that there was no wrong decision, just different options that would give me different experiences. Congrats again and good luck on your decision-making process!

On 4/13/2022 at 10:14 PM, dani973 said:

Haven't been on to update in a while but I have officially heard from all of the schools I applied! I was accepted to the 2 year programs at both Carleton and Laurier, and was also accepted to a completely different program and waitlisted to another both at UofT.

Feeling excited but also a bit overwhelmed at having to make a decision- particularly considering cost. Does anyone know if Laurier provides any funding packages that would be sent out separate from the acceptance info?

Did you ever figure out if Laurier provides any funding? I was recently accepted off the wait list and would love to know!

23 hours ago, SaraEm2021 said:

Hi all! In case you want to connect, here’s a link to the Facebook group I created for Laurier’s online part time MSW Sept 2022 cohort??

http://www.facebook.com/groups/laurieronlinemswsept2022/

Regular or advanced, or does it matter? lol

Hey,

Is there a WhatsApp group for the two-year MSW program for UofT?

I do not have Facebook, and a friend of mine that got in last year, their cohort has a WhatsApp group for the 2-year MSW program. So I'm wondering if anyone has set one up for this year's two-year MSW program for UofT?

Thanks?

Hello, 

Congrats to everyone!

Very long time lurker, I was planning to apply a MSW before the pandemic, but then decided to hold off. It was the only program I applied to, and the first time. I was definitely surprised when I received the email this afternoon that a spot opened up, and I was bring offered a spot to the U of T 2-year MSW program (Mental Health stream). I only bothered checking the email I used to apply because I saw how many people were being accepted off the waitlist on here.

Background:

I had about 13,500 hours from 2010 to now. The bulk of that has come from joining the leadership team of a grassroots organization in my community and a a couple recent full time jobs. Right now I work with Black identifying youth in the justice system, so spoke about that experience in my statement. My GPA was not very high, I believe 3.3 (out of 4.0) and high 70s for  my research courses. I did my undergrad at U of T, majors Sociology, Crim, minor Anthro. Then during pandemic, I  decided to do an Accelerated CYC program at Humber, and that helped me with getting two full time, directly related jobs during the pandemic. As well, more experience through placements.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. Just beyond excited to see you all in September.

*I am also hoping that someone has created a Whatsapp group, I will keep checking. 

Does anyone know if there is a part time option for the program?

Hi everyone! I don't think there's a Facebook group for those who have been accepted to the University of Windsor's 2-year MSW program yet, so I create one: www.facebook.com/groups/312189247784381/

22 hours ago, DD2021 said:

Just got an email from Windsor re the MSWwp program being full. Find it a bit silly they weren't able to review my application in time considering I submitted in January...

Is that what happened? I received the full email then 3 hours later received a rejection email. I submitted end of January but assumed they had looked at my application but just chose others. My status never changed since Feb 3.

Overall the rolling admissions system does not seem to be working for them, hah. I'm super disappointed because I was previously waitlisted, and I have a new job with a really strong reference so I thought my chances were higher. Think I'll give up on the online programs and think longer about when I'm able to leave work for 2 years.. the full-time programs seem easier to get in to

19 minutes ago, MSW2022 said:

Is that what happened? I received the full email then 3 hours later received a rejection email. I submitted end of January but assumed they had looked at my application but just chose others. My status never changed since Feb 3.

Overall the rolling admissions system does not seem to be working for them, hah. I'm super disappointed because I was previously waitlisted, and I have a new job with a really strong reference so I thought my chances were higher. Think I'll give up on the online programs and think longer about when I'm able to leave work for 2 years.. the full-time programs seem easier to get in to

Honestly it's just an assumption on my part considering the timing of the emails. I assume if it was a straight rejection, we would have been notified earlier vs. Being notified the same day the program was filled. But either way I was pretty disappointed with the MSWwp application process. I read last year's thread and another poster applied for the MSWwp in April, then received an acceptance 2-3 weeks later lol. It seems like they weren't prepared for the number of apps they received this year. 

Edited by DD2021

• 2 weeks later...