MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

6 hours ago, Geralt said:

I recieved an acceptance to Waterloo, does anyone know how to view the letter? I can see the conditions and where to accept/ decline but that's it

Edit: I googled it and I dont have the option on Quest, it says it should be available within 24-48 hrs of a decision being made. Can anyone confirm that they did recieve a letter?

My acceptance letter was uploaded into Quest yesterday, a few hours after it showed that I was recommended for admission

3 hours ago, SWKMSW11 said:

That’s awesome! Congratulations! Do you know which one you want to go to? I went to york for my BSW and really enjoyed the program! 

Thanks so much! And I’m not too sure yet since UofT was my first choice 

7 hours ago, mswto21 said:

Got the acceptance call for York’s Advanced Standing MSW with a great funding package offer. 

Phone calls will come first and then MyFile will update a few days after. Good luck!!!

Congrats!! I'm curious it for part-time or full-time? 

I applied for advanced standing part-time and still waiting to hear back. I definitely regret applying for PT since I've lowered my chances of getting in, but I'll still remain hopeful!

I would absolutely love to chat with you about your York application if you're interested. This is my third time applying to York specifically, and as someone interested in macro social work and policy, it's my top choice. I've attended the York info sessions every year, but they aren't very helpful. If you are able to share any tips or advice that would be amazing. 

On 3/9/2022 at 2:46 PM, InfoMSW2021 said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Mac and Windsor advanced standing? 

I'm waiting to hear back from Mac still as well. I applied to the advanced standing critical analysis program part-time.

Does anyone know the tuition cost for windsor MSWwp advanced standing? The estimator only shows the regular on campus msw tuition. It should be the same total right? I'm worried they will charge per term despite offering the exact same thing just 1 term longer.

I am not sure if this piece of information is helpful but I just received an email from Laurier, saying that they need me to explain some special situation in my transcript yet they added that they are in their final review of the application process. I think we will hear responses from Laurier anytime soon.

Would any Carleton students/acceptees be willing to PM me to let me know if they got funding and a TA role, and if so (if you're comfortable) how much for each? I'm local to Ottawa and would really like to stay here next year but since UO is a french program, I'm putting all my bets on Carleton. I really appreciate it!

Edited by SocialWorkFromHome

1 hour ago, SocialWorkFromHome said:

Would any Carleton students/acceptees be willing to PM me to let me know if they got funding and a TA role, and if so (if you're comfortable) how much for each? I'm local to Ottawa and would really like to stay here next year but since UO is a french program, I'm putting all my bets on Carleton. I really appreciate it!

Hey there! One or two year program? I got accepted to the two year, and can share my funding with you. I didn’t get a TA role (they said there are very few to offer), but I may apply for one.

1 hour ago, CJackson15 said:

Hey there! One or two year program? I got accepted to the two year, and can share my funding with you. I didn’t get a TA role (they said there are very few to offer), but I may apply for one.

Thank you so so much!! It would be for advanced standing but honestly, any info is so appreciated :)

Hello everyone, 

I’ve received a couple of MSW offers and I’m hoping to get some advice as I really don’t know what school to pick. I was accepted into u of t (no funding and children and families stream), York (16k scholarship), and Ryerson (7k scholarship). 

im going to be moving to Toronto from Manitoba, so a sense of school community is important to me. My career goal is child/family therapy. Do you guys think that job prospects care what university we receive our MSW from? U of T seems to be the most prestigious out of the 3, and the courses seem like they would prepare me best for my career goals - so I’m leaning toward this school. However, it is very hard to pass up on a scholarship offer which would majorly reduce student debt. 

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Congratulations to everyone who has received acceptances. 

29 minutes ago, BeccaMSW2022 said:

Hello everyone, 

I’ve received a couple of MSW offers and I’m hoping to get some advice as I really don’t know what school to pick. I was accepted into u of t (no funding and children and families stream), York (16k scholarship), and Ryerson (7k scholarship). 

im going to be moving to Toronto from Manitoba, so a sense of school community is important to me. My career goal is child/family therapy. Do you guys think that job prospects care what university we receive our MSW from? U of T seems to be the most prestigious out of the 3, and the courses seem like they would prepare me best for my career goals - so I’m leaning toward this school. However, it is very hard to pass up on a scholarship offer which would majorly reduce student debt. 

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Congratulations to everyone who has received acceptances. 

What are your career goals? It feels good to go to a prestigious university however it is far from the end all be all. Go to a university that is going to teach you the specific skills that you need to excel in the specific field of SW you want to work in. Look at the curriculum and read every course description to see what fits. Having an MSW curriculum that includes electives is also helpful because if they don't offer electives in your field then you can take your electives at another university that does cover the topic. The degree won't matter as much as your MSW status. Believe me....I live in a city where 60% of the therapists went to Yorkville University...worst reputation for a school but they are thriving in their practice. If they can achieve that with a cr*p education you can do anything with any of those Universities you applied to lol

40 minutes ago, BeccaMSW2022 said:

Hello everyone, 

Like the previous poster said, fit tends to be more important than "prestige", particularly when you're comparing reputable schools like York, Ryerson and UofT all are. So, I don't think "school name" should weigh too heavily in this decision. I think your approach of looking at the courses is a great one, and is an approach I also take when deciding what program is the best for me. Similarly related is faculty expertise, which is also a big one because it's those faculty who will be your mentors. So, if you find the research expertise of one school's faculty is more in line with your career goals than faculty of the other schools, then that should also factor heavily in your decision. All that said, I think scholarship money always helps, especially since you're coming from out of province. If you feel there's little likelihood that your career goals/aspirations will be negatively impacted by going to let's say York or Ryerson, then accepting one of those offers could be the best situation for you, so you can have some financial cushion. Lots of factors for you to consider but either way congrats on all your offers, you're in a great position to be in! :)

1 hour ago, BeccaMSW2022 said:

Hello everyone, 

Hey Becca, I certainly cannot speak for all cities or provinces, but many Social Work positions in Ottawa are posted with "MSW with a clinical focus required". Don't know if they pin this to schools or if you could swing it by saying you took clinical electives in your cover letter + complete a clinical placement but just something that I have noticed :) Congratulations on the amazing offers wow!!

2 hours ago, BeccaMSW2022 said:

Hello everyone, 

It could matter a little if you plan to stay in the Toronto area, as some employers might have their preferences/opinions. But I think outside the city especially, it’s just that you have the MSW that will matter, and some experience in the area you want to work.

You could take a look at the alumni profiles to see what people have gone on to do after graduating!

11 hours ago, Mr. Grateful said:

Decided to accept my offer from the University of Waterloo instead. As a result, an additional spot for the University of Toronto's advanced standing program should be available for someone on the waitlist.

Congrats! It feels good to be able to make a choice and that is an incredible achievement, what stream did you decline at U of T?

1 hour ago, futuresocialworkerrrrrr said:

Congrats! It feels good to be able to make a choice and that is an incredible achievement, what stream did you decline at U of T?

Hey futuresocialworkerrrrrr, I have not officially declined the offer as yet but plan to do so tomorrow. I was accepted to UofT's Health and Mental Health stream

On 3/12/2022 at 2:32 PM, BillyWong024 said:

anyone hears some updated for UofT MSW (Foundational)? Still waiting for application status update

I expect  we won’t see an update for a couple weeks :( nothing on my end as of yet. Crazy to think we’ve been waiting since December

Edited by teaandSW21
spelling error

15 hours ago, Grapepopcorn said:

How can I find out if I was awarded any funding? Accepted to UofT AS program.

U of T unforunately does not award any admission funding :( all funding comes from internal awards applications once you've officially enrolled as a student

Edited by tturtle