MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

12 minutes ago, MSW-2yr said:

When you applied, you should have received two emails from U of T (SGS admissions) -- one with a "joinID" and another with your student number! You have to enable your joinID before you register your acorn account! If you dont see those emails, I would check your junk mail! 

Thank you for quick reply!! I definitely don't remember receiving an email with that information and unfortunately my Gmail inbox deletes mail in spam after 30 days. Guess I will contact the registrar then - thanks again for your help!

I also received an e-mail from Kings saying that I am waitlisted. But it is interesting as they said that my profile was highly competitive yet they cannot offer me places due to lack of places. Not sure if this is just a polite way to waitlist an applicant lol.

1 minute ago, rexwsc said:

I also received an e-mail from Kings saying that I am waitlisted. But it is interesting as they said that my profile was highly competitive yet they cannot offer me places due to lack of places. Not sure if this is just a polite way to waitlist an applicant lol.

Yea same! They said my application was highly favoured and very competitive but still placed on the waitlist. I noticed you were accepted to UofT though, that’s incredible!! congratulations!!! Will you be accepting UofT or do you have another first choice?

26 minutes ago, taco-belle said:

Thank you for quick reply!! I definitely don't remember receiving an email with that information and unfortunately my Gmail inbox deletes mail in spam after 30 days. Guess I will contact the registrar then - thanks again for your help!

JoinID is described as an "online undergraduate applicant community" on the website, so I was always under the impression that only current undergrads applying to grad school would have received the JoinID email. But it's just an assumption I made, I don't know for sure! 

Edited by T.O.hopeful

7 minutes ago, SWKMSW11 said:

Yea same! They said my application was highly favoured and very competitive but still placed on the waitlist. I noticed you were accepted to UofT though, that’s incredible!! congratulations!!! Will you be accepting UofT or do you have another first choice?

Thanks!

I am planning on accepting the U of T offer but if other schools offer scholarships/funding, I might need a bit of consideration.

However it looks like offering scholarships for an international students of MSW are not very common, esp from Kings?

4 minutes ago, rexwsc said:

Thanks!

I am planning on accepting the U of T offer but if other schools offer scholarships/funding, I might need a bit of consideration.

However it looks like offering scholarships for an international students of MSW are not very common, esp from Kings?

That makes sense. Yea I’ve heard previously that Kings does not offer scholarships and that’s why many people don’t end up accepting there. 

3 minutes ago, SWKMSW11 said:

That makes sense. Yea I’ve heard previously that Kings does not offer scholarships and that’s why many people don’t end up accepting there. 

Yes, especially while King’s is one of the more expensive schools in terms of international tuition fees (similar to U of T). Sometimes I wondered why the fees can be so different among schools!

Finger-crossed for you and I hope that your waiting would not be long and end with greatness!

2 minutes ago, rexwsc said:

Yes, especially while King’s is one of the more expensive schools in terms of international tuition fees (similar to U of T). Sometimes I wondered why the fees can be so different among schools!

Finger-crossed for you and I hope that your waiting would not be long and end with greatness!

Yea it’s interesting how it works. Thank you so much for your kind words. I am hoping for the best :) 

Update for my Advanced MSW applications (March 8th)

- Carleton - Accepted March 1st  with $12,000 scholarship offered

- UBC - Accepted March 2nd but with no scholarship money - Officially Accepted this offer

- Waterloo - Waitlisted March 4th

- Western - Accepted March 8th - assuming no scholarship money

For any future students looking at this thread or anyone waitlisted I will go over my application. I am genuinely shocked that I was accepted anywhere!

- Graduated with my BSW from UFV in 2020 - I believe with around a 3.9 GPA, also completed a social services diploma in 2018.

- Had around 6000 paid hours in social work type jobs - I have mainly worked with women experiencing violence and in harm reduction. I had about 5 paid positions.

- In my personal statements I was very forward about my life experiences. Especially with Carleton which was an essay style I talked about my own substance use and sexual experiences. I was torn about being this open but I think not holding back really helped. My advice would be to write about what you know and not what you think they are looking for. The schools want to know who you are beyond your GPA and work experience. Once again good luck to everyone and congrats to everyone for taking the courage, time and energy in applying and putting ourselves out there!

42 minutes ago, natt97 said:

Update for my Advanced MSW applications (March 8th)

- Carleton - Accepted March 1st  with $12,000 scholarship offered

- UBC - Accepted March 2nd but with no scholarship money - Officially Accepted this offer

- Waterloo - Waitlisted March 4th

- Western - Accepted March 8th - assuming no scholarship money

For any future students looking at this thread or anyone waitlisted I will go over my application. I am genuinely shocked that I was accepted anywhere!

- Graduated with my BSW from UFV in 2020 - I believe with around a 3.9 GPA, also completed a social services diploma in 2018.

- Had around 6000 paid hours in social work type jobs - I have mainly worked with women experiencing violence and in harm reduction. I had about 5 paid positions.

- In my personal statements I was very forward about my life experiences. Especially with Carleton which was an essay style I talked about my own substance use and sexual experiences. I was torn about being this open but I think not holding back really helped. My advice would be to write about what you know and not what you think they are looking for. The schools want to know who you are beyond your GPA and work experience. Once again good luck to everyone and congrats to everyone for taking the courage, time and energy in applying and putting ourselves out there!

Wow this is incredible! Congratulations on all your acceptances and your waitlist! :) are you sticking with UBC? 

Just now, SWKMSW11 said:

Wow this is incredible! Congratulations on all your acceptances and your waitlist! :) are you sticking with UBC? 

Yes I already live quite close to UBC and want to live in Vancouver for the foreseeable future so it makes the most sense for me to stay here. Also I feel like doing a practicum in the city I want to work in will be the best, it still hurts to turn down the scholarship from Carleton but I would have to move across the country and leave all my family, friends and connections behind.

7 minutes ago, natt97 said:

Yes I already live quite close to UBC and want to live in Vancouver for the foreseeable future so it makes the most sense for me to stay here. Also I feel like doing a practicum in the city I want to work in will be the best, it still hurts to turn down the scholarship from Carleton but I would have to move across the country and leave all my family, friends and connections behind.

That makes sense! I recently visited family in Vancouver and toured UBC. The campus and city in general is absolutely stunning! I hope you enjoy the program, so happy for you :) 

4 hours ago, taco-belle said:

I applied to the MSW 2-year program at U of T. Dies anyone know how we gain access to ACORN to check our results? I keep seeing it mentioned and I see that you need a student ID# to access - I don't believe I've received one. Hopefully this doesn't mean I'll be rejected ?

I honestly couldn't remember having ACORN either but I found it in my email - it comes in two separate ones!! Search SGS Admissions in your email :)

On 3/7/2022 at 12:55 AM, SWKMSW11 said:

Thank you so much for the information! Best of luck to you too :) 

i noticed you got accepted to uoft, congratulations! If you feel comfortable would you be able to share your background/ experiences?

Sure!

I have:

-An Honours Bachelors of Science degree from the University of Toronto in Psychology and French- 3.2 GPA

-Bachelors of Social Work degree from Dalhousie University- 3.87 GPA

-17,000 hours of paid and volunteer social work experience

-Research experience in social work and psychology

-One social work publication

Edited by Mr. Grateful

1 hour ago, CaseyMSW said:

Anyone hear from dal these days? I thought they should inform us before March 8 but til now still nothing on my email and my portal. It is killing me?

I've got nothing as well. What were they supposed to inform us about?