MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

I'm really happy to have finally heard back from Carleton. I didn't get in. 

They had a record number of applications year 175 for 25 spots. If I'm doing my math right (which to be honest, I'm seriously doubting myself now), that's about 7 applications for every 1 spot. Some U of T odds right there.  

Carleton was my #1 choice so I'm very disappointed but I wish the rest of you guys luck! :)

23 minutes ago, priawet said:

They had a record number of applications year 175 for 25 spots. If I'm doing my math right (which to be honest, I'm seriously doubting myself now), that's about 7 applications for every 1 spot. Some U of T odds right there.  

Carleton was my #1 choice so I'm very disappointed but I wish the rest of you guys luck! :)

Wishing you the best of luck with your other applications :)

29 minutes ago, priawet said:

I m sorry you didn't get in. I just heard I did not get in either. Those odds are not in our favour. Good luck if you apply next year!

34 minutes ago, Siikun said:

Hi folks! Current 1 year Carleton MSW student here to calm some hearts and wish you luck. Last year my status changed to “in review by faculty of grad and post grad affairs” the day before the official offer came. You should know tomorrow :) 

Thank you! I still haven't heard anything yet, so I will be patient until tomorrow ..

43 minutes ago, priawet said:

I'm sorry to hear this :( I hope you hear back soon about your other applications!.I have a friend who had to apply to Carleton three times before getting in - it's a hard one!

1 minute ago, teaandSW21 said:

same here! really hard to tell what 'order' they're doing it in.. aka rejections/wait list first it seems but very staggered? 

It does feel strange - but I guess if there are many applications it would take a lot of administrative energy to get everything out at once!

I just got an email from Carleton at 7:14pm saying I got in!!!! I applied to the 2 year program and I had a 9.30/12gpa, 2000hrs and come from a psych background. I am in shock literally still shaking right now I did not think I was going to get in. It says I have 21 days to accept but I am still waiting to hear back from Laurier. Good luck to everyone!! it seems like the admissions committee is working overtime tonight lol 

just got accepted to Carleton!!! :) I am waiting on UofT still but I think I plan to accept my offer in the case that I get waitlisted at uoft. I’m based in Toronto currently so it’s a ways of a move but hoping for the best 

Edited by teaandSW21

2 hours ago, Siikun said:

Hi folks! Current 1 year Carleton MSW student here to calm some hearts and wish you luck. Last year my status changed to “in review by faculty of grad and post grad affairs” the day before the official offer came. You should know tomorrow :) 

Changed from what? Mine currently says "Review in progress by department". I don't have faculty of grad and post grad affairs, unfortunately 

26 minutes ago, BSW50yrsMSW52 said:

Changed from what? Mine currently says "Review in progress by department". I don't have faculty of grad and post grad affairs, unfortunately 

Mine went to “in review by department” (or something along those lines) to “in review by faculty of grad/post grad” and shifted to an acceptance the next day. My understanding is it shifts to “in review by faculty of grad/post grad” last as they have to sign off on funding packages. However, it might be a different process for one year vs. Two year. 
Congrats to all who have gotten in! If you have any questions about what the one year program is like/ course reccos/ want to see a syllabus or something hit me up. I’m getting ready to graduate soon already :). 

12 minutes ago, Siikun said:

Mine went to “in review by department” (or something along those lines) to “in review by faculty of grad/post grad” and shifted to an acceptance the next day. My understanding is it shifts to “in review by faculty of grad/post grad” last as they have to sign off on funding packages. However, it might be a different process for one year vs. Two year. 
Congrats to all who have gotten in! If you have any questions about what the one year program is like/ course reccos/ want to see a syllabus or something hit me up. I’m getting ready to graduate soon already :). 

Thank you. Congratulations on your graduation. Waiting to hear is the worst. 

3 minutes ago, Siikun said:

I remember the week before I couldn’t sleep or focus on a thing!!! I hope it’s coming soon!!!! The wait is the worst.

How did you enjoy the 1 year program? I also applied to it. Was it a really heavy course load? 

1 hour ago, BSW50yrsMSW52 said:

How did you enjoy the 1 year program? I also applied to it. Was it a really heavy course load? 

Honestly the course load is quite minimal- 3 classes a term. First term one class is front loaded in the first week so really it only feels like 2 classes. The research class will get you though, it’s heavy. I would say this year had a lot of challenges with the constant back and forth of online, plus I had Covid at one point which was ~stress~, however the profs have been super accommodating. I’m taking the “full” course load and still working part time and can very easily manage :) I’d say I’ve enjoyed pushing the envelope a bit and challenging expectations and it’s been received well, which is a plus. 

3 hours ago, teaandSW21 said:

just got accepted to Carleton!!! :) I am waiting on UofT still but I think I plan to accept my offer in the case that I get waitlisted at uoft. I’m based in Toronto currently so it’s a ways of a move but hoping for the best 

congratulations!!! that is amazing :)

4 hours ago, teaandSW21 said:

Congratultions!! :)

9 hours ago, EMWC said:

I got into Carleton - and with a funding package, that's a first for me! What's the deal with funding packages, do some schools do it and others not? 

Congratulations! 
finally it’s been a long and tough wait

would you mind sharing your background to us so we all can know more about what quality the schools are looking for ?