DSW 2022 Application Cycle - Support & Info

On 2/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, ninja650r said:

Applied to Upenn, 3rd time as LCSW so super hopeful (5th time applying overall!). At this time I feel I am in the peak of my clinical abilities, running both a part time private pratice and working full time in direct service setting. If I'm not able to convince UPenn of my drive and passion this time around, that is OK, but I don't foresee myself going through the process again. Best of luck to all candidates both new and ones trying again!

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 7:40 PM, DSW1977 said:

Hi everyone!

just found out today that I got into Tulane’s DSW program for fall 2022. So relieved! Still waiting for UPenn’s decision (mid April, I think?) Seems so far away!  Does anyone know anything about the Tulane program? Seems great, but I don’t know anyone who has gone through it or is planning on going. Anyone else waiting to hear from Tulane?

I’m at Tulane! So sorry, I didn’t get any notifications for this thread and it’s been an intense semester! 

Tulane doesn’t have a formal dissertation like UPenn ? However, it is still a very research oriented program. Qualitative, Quantitative, Stats….  Lots of long nights, lots of papers… The goal is to publish! They are piloting CSWE accreditation and they don’t mess around. I’m learning more than I did in my Masters. We have a summer residency coming up. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

On 2/11/2022 at 12:16 AM, IJustWanttoKnow said:

Hi there! Congratulations!! That was so quick!! I was planning on applying for Tulane DSW for fall 2022... did I miss the deadline? I thought it was March 31st... but perhaps I'm wrong? 

I think the biggest draw for me to apply for Tulane is that they're not as heavily research based as UPenn's is. Students are required to complete a clinical project (some students do opt to write a publication) at Tulane, while UPenn requires a dissertation... 

Here’s the handbook for Tulane, if you haven’t seen it yet, it breaks down the curriculum and advanced practice project. For me, a big appeal for Tulane was the balance of the program. Not too clinical, not too macro. The class schedule is probably the most flexible too. Finally, Tulane is a T1/AAU Research University. Quality program and degree. ??

https://tssw.tulane.edu/sites/tssw.tulane.edu/files/20200917_DSW HANDBOOK ACADEMIC YEAR 2020-2021.pdf

On 1/24/2022 at 9:55 AM, EJM said:

?

I think that's great you're looking for elective options! I didn't think about electives much when I was applying and not being given the option now is a bit of a sad reality as I would love a policy course and USC does not offer one (USC, if you are reading this, OFFER A POLICY COURSE!!!). The programs I looked at before applying mostly didn't have it as an option and I somewhat assumed that was normal at the DSW level where your dissertation/capstone is where your independence is. 

Wait what? How? I’m going to bug Mistrano. 

On 2/11/2022 at 2:13 PM, DSW1977 said:

Hi! Thank you! I don’t think it’s too late, it seems to be rolling admission where they let you know the decision about 4-6 weeks after applying until the class is full. It would be great if we end up in class together! 

I applied to Tulane last April and had to wait until Spring 2022. Anyone who wants a Fall start for Tulane should apply ASAP. ??

Edited by DSWstudentTSSW

On 1/20/2022 at 10:30 PM, SWagain said:

Ironically enough, I’m not a coffee drinker!  A good cup of tea will do ?

I’d be pursuing an advanced clinical track, ideally with a strong focus on trauma or elective options that allow the coursework to lean that way. I hope to see some of the prominent MSW programs throw their hat in the DSW ring. 

A part of me wonders if I should have opted for a phd-esque approach of reaching out to POIs before applying last cycle to build rapport and confirm that they’d be strong enough of a match to reference in my SOP. ?

I plan to check in on this thread, especially as we get closer to those March deadlines. This is the last year for many of the pandemic GRE waivers so I’m hoping to see others use that to their advantage this application cycle.

I feel like I remember SUNY Buffalo had a trauma focus. 

On 1/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, SWagain said:

I had the random thought to check in on this forum today; it must have been my spidey senses perking up at the mention of a coffee gift card lol. ?️ 

I thought I was going to apply again this cycle but I’m feeling compelled to sit out this year. I think it may be attributed to wanting to see if any other programs emerge. My focus had narrowed onto Bama (again), University of Kentucky and SUNY Buffalo. I attended an info session on Buffalo and realized that it wouldn’t be the best fit for my interests, so I’m back down to two. It would be really nice to have another affordable R1 institution to seriously consider. Kentucky has multiple starting dates, which helps if my FOMO gets too strong later this year.

Maybe it was UT Knoxville. 
https://www.csw.utk.edu/dsw-program-courses/

Edited by DSWstudentTSSW

54 minutes ago, DSWstudentTSSW said:

I’m at Tulane! So sorry, I didn’t get any notifications for this thread and it’s been an intense semester! 

Tulane doesn’t have a formal dissertation like UPenn ? However, it is still a very research oriented program. Qualitative, Quantitative, Stats….  Lots of long nights, lots of papers… The goal is to publish! They are piloting CSWE accreditation and they don’t mess around. I’m learning more than I did in my Masters. We have a summer residency coming up. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Hi! Thanks for the information! Research is not my favorite but seems very necessary for any doctorate program. Are you glad you chose Tulane? The more I look into it, the more excited I get! Do you feel that the work is manageable (along with working full time) and that professors/fellow students are supportive?

36 minutes ago, DSW1977 said:

Hi! Thanks for the information! Research is not my favorite but seems very necessary for any doctorate program. Are you glad you chose Tulane? The more I look into it, the more excited I get! Do you feel that the work is manageable (along with working full time) and that professors/fellow students are supportive?

I’m really happy with Tulane! It’s more work than I anticipated but it’s manageable. I have had a lot of late nights spent reading and writing. I’m pretty good at time management and I feel like it’s just at the level I can handle. Classmates are very supportive and it’s great getting to know them and their research interests! 
One perk I wasn’t expecting is that summer semester is condensed, May - Mid July, which gives you a mini summer break. 

Edited by DSWstudentTSSW

5 hours ago, DSWstudentTSSW said:

Here’s the handbook for Tulane, if you haven’t seen it yet, it breaks down the curriculum and advanced practice project. For me, a big appeal for Tulane was the balance of the program. Not too clinical, not too macro. The class schedule is probably the most flexible too. Finally, Tulane is a T1/AAU Research University. Quality program and degree. ??

https://tssw.tulane.edu/sites/tssw.tulane.edu/files/20200917_DSW HANDBOOK ACADEMIC YEAR 2020-2021.pdf

Thanks for this! I'm actually hoping to hear back from them!! I submitted back application a month ago, but my last letter of recommendation was submitted by the end of last month... so I hope that doesn't hinder their response time :( All to say, I'm crossing my fingers hoping I'd get into their program... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 10:40 PM, IJustWanttoKnow said:

Thanks for this! I'm actually hoping to hear back from them!! I submitted back application a month ago, but my last letter of recommendation was submitted by the end of last month... so I hope that doesn't hinder their response time :( All to say, I'm crossing my fingers hoping I'd get into their program... 

Cheering for you!!!

On 3/10/2022 at 5:01 PM, DSWstudentTSSW said:

Wait what? How? I’m going to bug Mistrano. 

Please do! I only have one semester left of standard course work so it wouldn't impact me, but it would only strengthen the program and a CRT and a Policy option would be fantastic. 

18 hours ago, SWCGLEN said:

Hi! I hope everyone is well. So glad to have found this forum. Has anyone received an interview from UPENN? I believe this is the first year for the 'video interview' so I am curious if live interviews are only for applicants who make it to the next round. 

I haven't heard back from UPENN yet either. I am assuming that the video interview is serving them as a way to cut the process down and eliminate applicants. Best of Luck. :)

On 3/22/2022 at 4:09 PM, SWCGLEN said:

Hi! I hope everyone is well. So glad to have found this forum. Has anyone received an interview from UPENN? I believe this is the first year for the 'video interview' so I am curious if live interviews are only for applicants who make it to the next round. 

Ohh - what was the video interview? 

On 3/23/2022 at 2:04 PM, SOC1ALWORK3R said:

I haven't heard back from UPENN yet either. I am assuming that the video interview is serving them as a way to cut the process down and eliminate applicants. Best of Luck. :)

it's been almost a week, any update? 

17 hours ago, DSWstudentTSSW said:

Ohh - what was the video interview? 

I don't know what the heck is going on in my head, but my reaction to the additional steps that were not required when I was looking has me thinking, oh goodness, I should have applied before they added all this! What the heck is wrong with me ?

18 minutes ago, EJM said:

it's been almost a week, any update? 

I don't know what the heck is going on in my head, but my reaction to the additional steps that were not required when I was looking has me thinking, oh goodness, I should have applied before they added all this! What the heck is wrong with me ?

I'm sure they felt overwhelmed with the amount of applicants and wanted a way to narrow it down. The interview portion asked us to answer some questions in a 5 minutes I believe. We could record it twice if we did not feel it was good enough the first time.

NO UPDATES. I called and they said "mid-April" - so April 15th I'm assuming we will hear back. 

1 hour ago, SOC1ALWORK3R said:

I'm sure they felt overwhelmed with the amount of applicants and wanted a way to narrow it down. The interview portion asked us to answer some questions in a 5 minutes I believe. We could record it twice if we did not feel it was good enough the first time.

NO UPDATES. I called and they said "mid-April" - so April 15th I'm assuming we will hear back. 

That makes sense and is consistent with the website. Do you feel that the live interviews were only for individuals who made it to the next round for possible acceptance?

Thank you! Hopefully, there is still hope and that process is not done yet. I have been holding on to the below from the website. Good luck! I hope it all works out for you!

"On occasion, applicants will be asked to interview after application submission. Since your interviewer is responsible for anticipating questions from the faculty reviewer and/or the Admissions Committee who ultimately makes the final decision on your application, there are various reasons an interview may be requested."

5 hours ago, SOC1ALWORK3R said:

That makes sense to me!

So I'll try not to ask to many times before mid-April. I don't know how much is toooo much though

3 hours ago, SWCGLEN said:

Thank you! Hopefully, there is still hope and that process is not done yet. I have been holding on to the below from the website. Good luck! I hope it all works out for you!

"On occasion, applicants will be asked to interview after application submission. Since your interviewer is responsible for anticipating questions from the faculty reviewer and/or the Admissions Committee who ultimately makes the final decision on your application, there are various reasons an interview may be requested."

Keep the positivity! If its mid-April there is some process left and who knows if there is going to be additional rounds of acceptances as they build out the cohort.