DSW 2022 Application Cycle - Support & Info

On 1/1/2022 at 1:21 AM, DSWstudentTSSW said:

Interesting article: 

Is the DSW Degree a Good Fit for You?

“DSWs and PhDs are both social workers with different skill sets. Choosing which route to take depends on your goals. DSWs are advanced practitioners who are scholar-practitioners. The CSWE (2020) further explains that “social work practice doctorates prepare graduates to advance practice at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels as well as in higher education and/or professional leadership” (p. 1). DSWs use and build on our professional experience to bridge theory and practice for the advancement of social work practice. DSWs apply research to practice. We explore and develop practice-based solutions to complex issues to expand and advance the knowledge base of social work from a practice-based lens. PhDs are researchers who conduct original research and data analysis to address complex issues to expand and advance the knowledge base of our profession. Both doctoral level degrees are needed for the advancement of social work and to advance just social change in our communities.”

https://www.socialworker.com/api/content/99ae3762-1d68-11ec-89ad-1244d5f7c7c6/

I've appreciated more people sharing their positive experience and new places for DSW to be seen in the field with more to be expected on the horizon. When I first was looking at applying was in NYU's first year of offering the degree and a lot of people seemed to looking to find reasons for it to not matter. A bit silly perhaps for a degree that was once more popular than a PhD in SW ??‍♂️. Oh well, I'm glad it is back and gaining in popularity once again!

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, EJM said:

Maybe we should offer 5.00 coffee shop gift cards for forum thread participation to gain more insight from other students and prospective students. 

Oh! And we can use PAR principals to run our forum study on the intersection of the pandemic and perspective doctoral students in the field of social work!

22 hours ago, EJM said:

Maybe we should offer 5.00 coffee shop gift cards for forum thread participation to gain more insight from other students and prospective students. 

I had the random thought to check in on this forum today; it must have been my spidey senses perking up at the mention of a coffee gift card lol. ?️ 

I thought I was going to apply again this cycle but I’m feeling compelled to sit out this year. I think it may be attributed to wanting to see if any other programs emerge. My focus had narrowed onto Bama (again), University of Kentucky and SUNY Buffalo. I attended an info session on Buffalo and realized that it wouldn’t be the best fit for my interests, so I’m back down to two. It would be really nice to have another affordable R1 institution to seriously consider. Kentucky has multiple starting dates, which helps if my FOMO gets too strong later this year.

On 1/17/2022 at 2:44 PM, SWagain said:

I had the random thought to check in on this forum today; it must have been my spidey senses perking up at the mention of a coffee gift card lol. ?️ 

I thought I was going to apply again this cycle but I’m feeling compelled to sit out this year. I think it may be attributed to wanting to see if any other programs emerge. My focus had narrowed onto Bama (again), University of Kentucky and SUNY Buffalo. I attended an info session on Buffalo and realized that it wouldn’t be the best fit for my interests, so I’m back down to two. It would be really nice to have another affordable R1 institution to seriously consider. Kentucky has multiple starting dates, which helps if my FOMO gets too strong later this year.

LOL! I knew it was the right approach! 

I'm glad you checked in. I can't remember, what was your focus? I'm really hoping more affordable R1 universities come into the fold quickly to help the degree become more accessible to more social workers too. I can see it really befitting so many people and the field at large. 

Also, I hope you keep checking in, with or without FOMO setting in.

*We'll have to sort out that coffee gift card for you....

7 hours ago, EJM said:

LOL! I knew it was the right approach! 

I'm glad you checked in. I can't remember, what was your focus? I'm really hoping more affordable R1 universities come into the fold quickly to help the degree become more accessible to more social workers too. I can see it really befitting so many people and the field at large. 

Also, I hope you keep checking in, with or without FOMO setting in.

*We'll have to sort out that coffee gift card for you....

Ironically enough, I’m not a coffee drinker!  A good cup of tea will do ?

I’d be pursuing an advanced clinical track, ideally with a strong focus on trauma or elective options that allow the coursework to lean that way. I hope to see some of the prominent MSW programs throw their hat in the DSW ring. 

A part of me wonders if I should have opted for a phd-esque approach of reaching out to POIs before applying last cycle to build rapport and confirm that they’d be strong enough of a match to reference in my SOP. ?

I plan to check in on this thread, especially as we get closer to those March deadlines. This is the last year for many of the pandemic GRE waivers so I’m hoping to see others use that to their advantage this application cycle.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:30 PM, SWagain said:

I’d be pursuing an advanced clinical track, ideally with a strong focus on trauma or elective options that allow the coursework to lean that way. I hope to see some of the prominent MSW programs throw their hat in the DSW ring. 

A part of me wonders if I should have opted for a phd-esque approach of reaching out to POIs before applying last cycle to build rapport and confirm that they’d be strong enough of a match to reference in my SOP. ?

I plan to check in on this thread, especially as we get closer to those March deadlines. This is the last year for many of the pandemic GRE waivers so I’m hoping to see others use that to their advantage this application cycle.

Hi! T1+affordable = the sweet spot.  I would Imagine that programs that meet that criteria and already offer an online MSW would be the likely candidates. Perhaps The Ohio State? I’ll keep my eyes and ears open. Ive heard more programs are in the pipeline. 

On 1/20/2022 at 11:30 PM, SWagain said:

?

On 1/20/2022 at 11:30 PM, SWagain said:

I think that's great you're looking for elective options! I didn't think about electives much when I was applying and not being given the option now is a bit of a sad reality as I would love a policy course and USC does not offer one (USC, if you are reading this, OFFER A POLICY COURSE!!!). The programs I looked at before applying mostly didn't have it as an option and I somewhat assumed that was normal at the DSW level where your dissertation/capstone is where your independence is. 

On 1/24/2022 at 11:07 AM, ss_swhoping said:

I teach at Bama but not within the DSW program.  They had 135 applicants last year for 20 spots and are graduating their first cohort this spring.  They really are building a great/solid program

Congrats to the Bama Grads! 

Do you happen to know if 135 applicants is seeming to be normal for the DSW, or was that possibly number possibly an outlier because of the pandemic?

15 hours ago, IJustWanttoKnow said:

Hi again everyone! Here goes round 2 of applications for me...

For anyone applying to UPenn: how're you feeling about the video interviews??? They're honestly freaking me out... 

Hi! 

Go Round 2!

We're cheering for you!!

24 minutes ago, EJM said:

Congrats to the Bama Grads! 

Do you happen to know if 135 applicants is seeming to be normal for the DSW, or was that possibly number possibly an outlier because of the pandemic?

Perhaps a both/and.  I believe that the DSW being a new program helps to absorb people who want additional education but who do not desire a PhD.  I do believe that the pandemic influences people's choices, however, unlike a Phd, the DSW has an employment requirements.  While PhD applicants increase as people consider alternatives to current employment, the DSW is so different.  They are on track to do more this year than last in terms of applications submitted.

hello all:

I am applying to the DSW programs to start in the Fall 2022.

I have applied to the following programs:

• Southern Connecticut State University - Accepted (declined the offer)
  • Barry University - Accepted (paid deposit)
  • Capella - Accepted (declined the offer)
  • UPENN - waiting
  • University of Buff - waiting
  • UTENN Knox - waiting
  • UBAMA - waiting

On 1/31/2022 at 8:21 PM, IJustWanttoKnow said:

Hi again everyone! Here goes round 2 of applications for me...

For anyone applying to UPenn: how're you feeling about the video interviews??? They're honestly freaking me out... 

I was freaking out and put it off for like a month then one day just did it. 

Hi everyone!

just found out today that I got into Tulane’s DSW program for fall 2022. So relieved! Still waiting for UPenn’s decision (mid April, I think?) Seems so far away!  Does anyone know anything about the Tulane program? Seems great, but I don’t know anyone who has gone through it or is planning on going. Anyone else waiting to hear from Tulane?

On 2/9/2022 at 8:40 PM, DSW1977 said:

Hi everyone!

just found out today that I got into Tulane’s DSW program for fall 2022. So relieved! Still waiting for UPenn’s decision (mid April, I think?) Seems so far away!  Does anyone know anything about the Tulane program? Seems great, but I don’t know anyone who has gone through it or is planning on going. Anyone else waiting to hear from Tulane?

Hi there! Congratulations!! That was so quick!! I was planning on applying for Tulane DSW for fall 2022... did I miss the deadline? I thought it was March 31st... but perhaps I'm wrong? 

I think the biggest draw for me to apply for Tulane is that they're not as heavily research based as UPenn's is. Students are required to complete a clinical project (some students do opt to write a publication) at Tulane, while UPenn requires a dissertation... 

13 hours ago, IJustWanttoKnow said:

Hi there! Congratulations!! That was so quick!! I was planning on applying for Tulane DSW for fall 2022... did I miss the deadline? I thought it was March 31st... but perhaps I'm wrong? 

I think the biggest draw for me to apply for Tulane is that they're not as heavily research based as UPenn's is. Students are required to complete a clinical project (some students do opt to write a publication) at Tulane, while UPenn requires a dissertation... 

Hi! Thank you! I don’t think it’s too late, it seems to be rolling admission where they let you know the decision about 4-6 weeks after applying until the class is full. It would be great if we end up in class together! 

On 2/9/2022 at 8:40 PM, DSW1977 said:

Hi everyone!

Congratulations!!

I know someone on here is a current DSW student at Tulane, if you have questions I bet they will get answered :) 

On 2/11/2022 at 1:16 AM, IJustWanttoKnow said:I was planning on applying for Tulane DSW for fall 2022... did I miss the deadline? I thought it was March 31st... but perhaps I'm wrong? 

It’s never too late! 

and it’s already been said, but they have rolling admissions so it really is never too late?

Applied to Upenn, 3rd time as LCSW so super hopeful (5th time applying overall!). At this time I feel I am in the peak of my clinical abilities, running both a part time private pratice and working full time in direct service setting. If I'm not able to convince UPenn of my drive and passion this time around, that is OK, but I don't foresee myself going through the process again. Best of luck to all candidates both new and ones trying again!

Edited by ninja650r
Grammer

17 hours ago, ninja650r said:

Applied to Upenn, 3rd time as LCSW so super hopeful (5th time applying overall!). At this time I feel I am in the peak of my clinical abilities, running both a part time private pratice and working full time in direct service setting. If I'm not able to convince UPenn of my drive and passion this time around, that is OK, but I don't foresee myself going through the process again. Best of luck to all candidates both new and ones trying again!

BEST OF LUCK!!! ?

• 2 weeks later...