DSW 2022 Application Cycle - Support & Info

it just hit me, you all could be meeting each other soon! 

I wonder what it's like to find out who the people are on the other side of the forum names. or know you're in a room with them but not know who they are... ?

On 4/7/2022 at 12:01 PM, IJustWanttoKnow said:

I'm excited to potentially meet you all! I have a question: for those of you who are already in DSW programs, did you apply for financial aid? Is it worth doing a FAFSA? I remembered submitting a FAFSA for grad school, and I got virtually nothing :( Does UPenn offer scholarships/financial aid?

A if you have exhausted the unsubsidized grad loans a grad plus loan will still cover costs if you need the aid. I believe the first is guaranteed to a limit and the second (plus loan) is based on your credit... maybe someone can confirm or correct anything that I'm potentially off on. 

10 hours ago, ss_swhoping said:

Anyone hear from UA DSW program?

I feel like Bama is always an enigma and a coveted prize. You really can’t beat the price tag, it’s tier 1, small cohort, and they’re also now #28th on US News & World Report SW rankings and only going up! Roll Tide and good luck! ❤️?

Edited by DSWstudentTSSW

11 hours ago, DSWstudentTSSW said:

I feel like Bama is always an enigma and a coveted prize. You really can’t beat the price tag, it’s tier 1, small cohort, and they’re also now #28th on US News & World Report SW rankings and only going up! Roll Tide and good luck! ❤️?

It is great for the program, rankings add a lot of value.  

I mentor a student at UW and their program is always highly ranked, but I feel the programs are very comparable.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:56 AM, ss_swhoping said:

It is great for the program, rankings add a lot of value.  

I mentor a student at UW and their program is always highly ranked, but I feel the programs are very comparable.

Which UW? Wisconsin or Washington?Honestly, the US News & World Report rankings for social work have some questionable methodology… it’s a a subjective peer survey with a 50% response rate. People should choose programs that with curriculums that appeal to them. Also factor in price, location, networking…. But US News & World Report should hopefully never be the key determine factor. If anything, people pay attention to the national (undergrad) rankings of the institution as a whole. 

4 hours ago, DSWstudentTSSW said:

Which UW? Wisconsin or Washington?Honestly, the US News & World Report rankings for social work have some questionable methodology… it’s a a subjective peer survey with a 50% response rate. People should choose programs that with curriculums that appeal to them. Also factor in price, location, networking…. But US News & World Report should hopefully never be the key determine factor. If anything, people pay attention to the national (undergrad) rankings of the institution as a whole. 

Washington.  Yes I think rankings are extremely subjective.  I do believe that it creates interest.  Many candidates look/consider based on rankings rather than goodness of fit.

For myself, the only consideration has been location, as I cannot move my family.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 9:43 AM, samashsw20 said:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone was accepted to or heard from the NYU Silver DSW program? I am still waiting and Its just been so hard to not think about. Any feedback is helpful!!!

Hi there! I actually received my notice last week. I think it may be a rolling decision based? I hear they meet once a week to talk about applicants. Best of luck!! 

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone! 

Did NYU ever get back to people? 

Also, I've been gone working on this school thing myself. 

If you can find a few minutes to fill out my survey, some social work voices would be wonderful to have!!! 

https://usc.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cC8l7tKCuFH7nkq

I attached the post I made as well.

If you know anyone who would be willing to lend their thoughts, please pass it along, I would be very thankful!! 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 6:47 PM, UnsungEmpath said:

I just applied a week again to UK and secondary will apply to UA. I loved the idea of asynchronous and 2 years versus 3 years, live classes on Saturdays however LOVE the price of UA. Anyone has thoughts and words on UK - I wish the clinical track had more than just 3 classes.

Do you have a fav between UK and UA? 

• 1 month later...

I personally like that UK can be completed in 2 years and is asynchronous. I can carve in time during my workday to listen and complete class assignments.  UA I believe have classes on the weekends and is 3 years - the price is way better than UK however harder to get into and I am married with two kids - weekends are something I honor for family time. 

• 5 weeks later...