2022 Fall PhD applications - international students

darklings

Anyone receive invites from Yale's BBS program and in particular, from the MCGS track? Saw 2 new posts updated on the results page by international students! Crying inside :') 

21 minutes ago, QWERTYMNB97 said:

Anyone received interview from UNC BBSP, Vandy IGP, Harvard BBS?

Do univs send invites first to domestic and then international??

Some universities have separated batches for domestic & international students like UPenn, some send out mixed (domestic + intl) invites gradually in one day or last for a few weeks - looks like UNC BBSP & BCM (& Harvard BBS?) do so, not sure about Vandy 

41 minutes ago, darklings said:

Some universities have separated batches for domestic & international students like UPenn, some send out mixed (domestic + intl) invites gradually in one day or last for a few weeks - looks like UNC BBSP & BCM (& Harvard BBS?) do so, not sure about Vandy 

Does anyone happen to know UCs like UC Davis and UCB? Do they send out interview invitation all at once or in a rolling basis?

1 hour ago, shuaizh117 said:

Vandy IGP sends waves as well, and mixed

1 hour ago, darklings said:

@darklings I think this response is for your post!:)

@darklings I received an email saying BCM interview will be virtual and dates are Feb 10-11. 
4 faculty members will be interviewing 

did you receive the dates/ any other information yet? 

Heya guys, it seems this thread for PhD Aspirants for Fall 2022 is the most active.

I am applying for Pharmaceutical sciences program to some universities. I hope people can connect if they are on the same boat. 

Keep notifying ur interview calls updates.

Wish uh all the best!

And I hope everyone gets the university or stream they dream of getting into!!!!

Got an interview invite email from UC Irvine! I applied to their Cell and Molecular Biology Program. 
Interviews are in the second half of January. 

Submitted application Nov 21, deadline was Dec 1
Anybody else applied to the program?

22 hours ago, buy lottery said:

@darklings hi, I still didn't get any updates about BCM, may I know that how many 'under review' email did you get before the invitation for interview and how long after it? 

someone on reddit said more interview invites from BCM will be sending out till January, hang in there!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 11:51 PM, biomed69 said:

applied to 19 programs as international applicant with no US degree. Those are -

1. harvard Viro

2. UTSW

3. Duke Micro

4. UNC Chapel Hill BBSP

5. Dartmouth Molecular cell biology

6. Albert Einstein

7. Weill Cornell Medicine

8. U of R

9. Notre Dame

10. Michigan State 

11. UAB Birmingham

12. UT Health San Antonio

13. U Miami

14. WSU
15. UNMC

16. Tulane

17. Upstate

18. U at Buffalo

already received rejection from case western on 22 November. Hopefully someone offers me an invitation. lol

Hey! Is it IGPBS in UNMC? Did you hear back from them?

On 12/21/2021 at 9:24 PM, Yutian Zhang said:

Neuroscience.

Did you have any information afterwards? Well I did have an interview but I am humanities program at UC Davis. So I don't know your program a lot. But It seemed the board have showed they had an interview on Neuroscience. Anyways, Good Luck!

Unfortunately, international students have far fewer PhD slots than domestic students. Even domestic students consider PhD admissions very very competitive, so imagine our chances.

I did my Master's in the US at Brandeis University. It's a small school/ program but has great reputation (even being in the Boston area). The PhD program admits 7 to 8 students on average and only ONE international student is among them each year! This might be true for any programs admitting less than 10 students. 
I have also seen many people say that the number of students applying has increased more than the schools anticipated (especially since the pandemic began), even though the number of available slots are the same. 

Having seen the numbers at Brandeis University, I decided I have to work on my skills and experience to stand out and be more competitive. That's what I tried to do with work experience and working on different projects, learning as many skills as I could. I don't have any publications or poster presentations at conferences but my recommendation letters are from people who have seen me in research settings (almost everyday) for at least 10 months to two years. I think that helps corroborate your story from your essays.

Keep working on yourself and that will show on your CV and application as a whole!

Finished filling out my last application today. Applied to 14 statistics PhD programmes, and some are definitely ambitious. Hope I get into one, and that some life signs will show in January since I hate this waiting game.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:57 PM, pls_take_me said:

Hey guys,

I guess going into the application cycle I didn't know that admissions chances for international students were that much more difficult. What are your experiences on this?

I haven't received any interview invitations (yet?) so it remains to be seen if my approach worked, but I looked up the specific admission rates for internationals at each place before deciding whether or not to apply. For schools that didn't provide a breakdown rate for internationals, i just estimated it by halving their usual acceptance rate.

Some resources:

https://nglscoalition.org/coalition-data/#close

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/doctoral-program

You can also find those stats on the individual uni's page sometimes.