Fall 2022 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

Another interview tip I'd add, expanding on heseemstome's excellent advice, is that you should have a clear sense of what you're passionate about, and practice expressing your passion. If it's shifted a tad since your application, that's okay, but programs are looking for folks who look promising but who will also do interesting and creative work, and who really want to be in this program.

Unless admissions practices have changed significantly in the last few years, programs don't interview every single one of their admits. If you haven't received an interview notification from a particular school, it doesn't necessarily mean you're out of the running.

First year Classics PhD candidate here, and I thought of another tip for the interviews, if it can help.  Definitely seem generally passionate, but it really helps to have a research project thought up, so you can show that you know what the end goal of the program is. You can also show how your past interests tie into your future interests this way. Personally, it also gave me a lot more confidence going into the interview, since I knew what I was about. They ended up asking me this exact question: "If you were to start your thesis right now, what would it be about?" I'm so glad that I was ready. Anyway, good luck to all of you applying this cycle!

I had my first interview today! I was surprised how casual it felt - though I'm sure this varies from school to school. They just asked me some general questions about my interests and experiences and why I was interested in their program. Unfortunately they didn't give me much of a time line for when I might hear about results so I'm not sure if it will be days or months before I hear back. It seems from the results page that things usually pick up in the last week of January - fingers crossed for good news for us all! 

Hi, all. I just wanted to share that I received my first response from an MA application. Indiana accepted me for an MA with full-funding. I was prepared to be rejected by all programs, so I am surprised to hear that the first reply was an acceptance. I will add it to the results later today once my acceptance high wears off and lets me process everything. 

I'd imagine anyone waiting to hear back about a PhD from Indiana would be hearing a decision now or soon. 

Salvete everyone! I just found this forum yesterday and I am so excited to know I am not alone in all this madness.

I am not necessarily pure "Classics", but I am applying for a PhD in Ancient Mediterranean Archaeology (and most of my programs overlap with classical archaeology)

If anyone applied to the Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World Program at UPenn, all interviews have been completed at this point (I was one of the lucky ones to get an interview).

Other programs I applied to are: the Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World at Brown, and Ancient Near Eastern Archaeology at Johns Hopkins.

Would love to hear if there are any other archaeologists applying in this forum!

Best of luck to everyone!!

16 minutes ago, Archaeogirl said:

Salvete everyone! I just found this forum yesterday and I am so excited to know I am not alone in all this madness.

I am not necessarily pure "Classics", but I am applying for a PhD in Ancient Mediterranean Archaeology (and most of my programs overlap with classical archaeology)

If anyone applied to the Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World Program at UPenn, all interviews have been completed at this point (I was one of the lucky ones to get an interview).

Other programs I applied to are: the Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World at Brown, and Ancient Near Eastern Archaeology at Johns Hopkins.

Would love to hear if there are any other archaeologists applying in this forum!

I'm a Mediterranean archaeologist too! 

1 minute ago, Archaeogirl said:

Yay!

I saw you had an interview. Congrats! Can I ask which program?

I actually interviewed with AAMW too! (maybe we'll be classmates one day!) Did they give you any idea when they would make decisions? I should have asked but it slipped my mind. 

8 minutes ago, Chaplin said:

I actually interviewed with AAMW too! (maybe we'll be classmates one day!) Did they give you any idea when they would make decisions? I should have asked but it slipped my mind. 

Oh yayy!! I was told at the end of my interview that I should hear from Lauren (the chair) "soon". Been stressing all week over what "soon" means haha.

Best of luck to you, and here is hoping that we both get accepted and maybe get to be classmates! 

(p.s. did you apply to Brown JIAAW as well?)

2 minutes ago, Archaeogirl said:

Oh yayy!! I was told at the end of my interview that I should hear from Lauren (the chair) "soon". Been stressing all week over what "soon" means haha.

Best of luck to you, and here is hoping that we both get accepted and maybe get to be classmates! 

(p.s. did you apply to Brown JIAAW as well?)

"Soon" is the woooorst. Yes I did apply to Brown, haven't heard anything yet! But fingers crossed for both of us!

8 minutes ago, Chaplin said:

"Soon" is the woooorst. Yes I did apply to Brown, haven't heard anything yet! But fingers crossed for both of us!

From what I have heard, Brown sends out interview invites last week of January or first week of February, and they only accept students that they interview. So fingers crossed for both of us for the coming weeks!

4 minutes ago, Archaeogirl said:

Congrats on the interview!! Can I ask how you know they are done with interviews this week, did they say something to you along those lines?

59 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Congrats on the interview!! Can I ask how you know they are done with interviews this week, did they say something to you along those lines?

Thanks! Yeah, in my email correspondence I had with Lauren (the graduate chair) she said they had selected all who they wanted to interview and were interviewing everyone by the end of this week.

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say that I just received my official acceptance into the Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World (AAMW) PhD at the University of Pennsylvania. I did not receive an email, I just checked my portal and saw the acceptance letter!

This was my top choice and I am almost positive I will be accepting. They did not say how many people the accepted, but based on prior conversations I think they were only accepting 2 or 3 this year, but I do not know.

8 hours ago, Archaeogirl said:

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say that I just received my official acceptance into the Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World (AAMW) PhD at the University of Pennsylvania. I did not receive an email, I just checked my portal and saw the acceptance letter!

This was my top choice and I am almost positive I will be accepting. They did not say how many people the accepted, but based on prior conversations I think they were only accepting 2 or 3 this year, but I do not know.

Congrats!! ??

Hello all! With only applying to 1 PhD this year and instead shifting my post-grad expectations to law school, I've been very absent from this forum this year. But I'm curious if anyone has heard anything from SUNY Buffalo? Last year they sent me an email saying "thanks, we've got all your application materials" and this year I didn't get that. It didn't look like they were requiring GRE scores, so I didn't submit mine, but that could have been a fatal mistake on my part. This was about the time I heard back from them last year, so I'm starting to get anxious. Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and good luck to everyone!