Fall 2022 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

On 2/2/2022 at 12:23 PM, Archaeogirl said:

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say that I just received my official acceptance into the Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World (AAMW) PhD at the University of Pennsylvania. I did not receive an email, I just checked my portal and saw the acceptance letter!

This was my top choice and I am almost positive I will be accepting. They did not say how many people the accepted, but based on prior conversations I think they were only accepting 2 or 3 this year, but I do not know.

I was also accepted! Not sure if I'm going to take it yet, but yay!

On 2/4/2022 at 12:38 PM, ClassicsApplicant2022 said:

I was sent an email about a recruitment week at UMich for Classics...I did apply there, but haven't heard anything at all from them until now. The email didn't have much information about what exactly the week is for. Does anyone know? Is it what they do instead of interviews?

I was wondering about UMich too. I applied for IPCAA but I haven't heard a thing from them yet....

1 hour ago, princefelix said:

I was also accepted! Not sure if I'm going to take it yet, but yay!

Nice, you must be the Roman-ist then. Lauren said they only accepted 2 this year, so you and me. 

If you have any questions about the program let me know. I visited in November and got a full tour and met the faculty. 

Are you going to the prospectives weekend in a few weeks? 

(Feel free to DM me)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 12:23 PM, Archaeogirl said:

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say that I just received my official acceptance into the Art and Archaeology of the Mediterranean World (AAMW) PhD at the University of Pennsylvania. I did not receive an email, I just checked my portal and saw the acceptance letter!

This was my top choice and I am almost positive I will be accepting. They did not say how many people the accepted, but based on prior conversations I think they were only accepting 2 or 3 this year, but I do not know.

That's excellent; congratulations! Please let me know if you want any information on the Penn Museum as I currently work there :3 Same goes for you @princefelix if you decide to accept!                         

I just wanted to update everyone! I was offered unconditional admission at the University of St Andrews, so I'll be going to Scotland in September. I'm still waiting to hear back from any funding schemes, but two are currently with committees, two are awaiting review. I've given a firm acceptance, so now it's all down to funding and logistics of moving. I hope everyone else is getting good news, too! My application apparently took a little longer because they wanted me to have three supervisors since my PhD project was so interdisciplinary but they must have really wanted me there for going through all the trouble of finding the right fits for me. I'm really excited!

6 hours ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

I just wanted to update everyone! I was offered unconditional admission at the University of St Andrews, so I'll be going to Scotland in September. I'm still waiting to hear back from any funding schemes, but two are currently with committees, two are awaiting review. I've given a firm acceptance, so now it's all down to funding and logistics of moving. I hope everyone else is getting good news, too! My application apparently took a little longer because they wanted me to have three supervisors since my PhD project was so interdisciplinary but they must have really wanted me there for going through all the trouble of finding the right fits for me. I'm really excited!

This is Awesome!! Congratulations! Well deserved!! ???

11 hours ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Congratulations! Well done, I wish you to enjoy your studies!!

On 3/23/2022 at 9:06 PM, ClassicsCandidate said:

Congratulations ClassicsCandidate! I've not posted on here before but followed the forum for a couple of seasons while not having too much success myself so its good to see a long term poster finally get their good news ...looks like I've struck out again this year.

Maybe I should think of a UK application myself for next year. I heard funding was real tough for non UK people which is why I didn't before - how have you found the experience? Are there loans that you can get if you don't get the funding or are you able to go whatever? 

On 3/26/2022 at 9:37 AM, Athanasius Kircher said:

@ClassicsCandidate congratulations! I am so happy for you! 

Do you think I have any chances? 

Thank you! And I saw that you said you were on two waitlists; I would check in with people who have gotten off of the waitlists for those universities to see what the statistics on that might be. I think that if they still have until the April date, don't lose too much hope! I've never been waitlisted myself; every application I put in last year was a straight-up rejection. So, I don't have much experience with the waitlist process.

20 hours ago, Delurking said:

Congratulations ClassicsCandidate! I've not posted on here before but followed the forum for a couple of seasons while not having too much success myself so its good to see a long term poster finally get their good news ...looks like I've struck out again this year.

Maybe I should think of a UK application myself for next year. I heard funding was real tough for non UK people which is why I didn't before - how have you found the experience? Are there loans that you can get if you don't get the funding or are you able to go whatever? 

Thank you! The one thing I liked about reaching out to people in the UK and Ireland is that I already had what I wanted my dissertation project to be and the UK universities basically eliminated themselves because they would let me know whether they would have faculty who were able to supervise it. This cut Birmingham, Exeter, and Trinity College Dublin because they either didn't have anyone who could supervise my proposal or they specifically couldn't take any more students, but suggested other colleagues either at their university or others. So, I would start that way! 

I didn't have to pay for my application, either, which was another bonus, as last year was very $$$ to apply. I applied to the Fulbright (which was rejected) and then four other funding schemes through the university. Another one I'm automatically considered for because of how early I applied. I would check the universities and see if they also take international loans (for example, St Andrews takes FAFSA) but also when contacting your potential supervisor, inquire about the funding situations for international students. 

Some universities will offer a PhD project they want potential students to take as well, so if you're keen on something in particular, you can ask about that as well. A good place to start looking if you've not reached out to anyone yet is here: https://www.findaphd.com/phds/linguistics-and-classics/?10M7K0. You can also check here: https://www.jobs.ac.uk/ where you can search for "Classics" (or whatever specific field you're looking for; History, Philosophy, etc) and then filter by the PhD so you can see which ones they're asking for, which is a good way to get funding because they already want someone to work on that topic. I've not applied that way myself as I had a very specific idea in mind, but let me know if you have any other questions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well, after an application cycle last year with no fully funded offers, I thought I was going to have to give up on my Classics dreams and pursue a different career path. So I did that, but I still threw one last hail mary and applied to a single program this year. They accepted me, but weren't able to offer funding, so I declined the offer and was resigned to not applying again. But late Friday night, I got an email offering me full funding that PhD program that previously couldn't fund me! Was it a total shift to all the plans I'd made? Yes. But am I thrilled? Also yes. 

I'm getting a PhD!!!

24 minutes ago, exhaustionandtoast said:

well, after an application cycle last year with no fully funded offers, I thought I was going to have to give up on my Classics dreams and pursue a different career path. So I did that, but I still threw one last hail mary and applied to a single program this year. They accepted me, but weren't able to offer funding, so I declined the offer and was resigned to not applying again. But late Friday night, I got an email offering me full funding that PhD program that previously couldn't fund me! Was it a total shift to all the plans I'd made? Yes. But am I thrilled? Also yes. 

I'm getting a PhD!!!

Congratulations!! What a ride that sounds like. But very exciting, all the best for the program!