Hi! Sorry if this is a silly question, but do we need to submit multiple transcript requests if we're applying to different schools? I'm applying to both Western and U of T but atm I only have one transcript request, and it says it's being sent to ORPAS. I feel like that's fine but would like to double check in case. 

Also, can anyone confirm that ORPAS just needs the transcript request by the deadline and they don't actually need to receive the transcript by that date? I found in their FAQ, "Yes, if we receive an online transcript request (that forms part of the application) by the stated deadline, it satisfies the transcript deadline requirement." 

But then on another page I see, "You must ensure that ORPAS receives your application and all required supporting documentation by the deadlines" 

Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by Natalie SLP

I think you only need to upload one transcript! Also on their website it says we have until January 30th to upload our initial transcripts I'm pretty sure!

Also does anyone know if there is an email we can send our transcript to on ORPAS? One of my educational institutions doesn't use a distribution centre so I was wondering if there is an email I can send it to to speed up the process instead of mailing my transcript!

Edited by MELSLP99

Thank you so much! I'm actually not entirely sure about if you can send it via email. I would say to contact them but only after December 31st because they're closed until then!

Is anyone having difficulty copy and pasting their statement into the allotted text box? I did mine on google doc to keep track of the character count. I'm below the 3,000 (including spaces), but when I paste it, it says I'm over. When I remove spaces between the paragraphs with no formatting, I meet the character requirement, I just wonder if that's acceptable since it's essentially going to be one large paragraph rather than several. 

Edited by Natalie SLP

On 12/24/2021 at 11:28 AM, MELSLP99 said:

Hey guys!

How are you guys sending your transcripts to Dalhousie, I'm coming from mcgill and on the national student clearinghouse I cannot find the option to send it to Dal.

I went to York, so I dont know how it works for McGill exactly. For York, I went to the online system and asked them to send my digital transcripts to dal. Dal Should have on their website what email to send it too!

2 hours ago, Quote_Actual said:

I went to York, so I dont know how it works for McGill exactly. For York, I went to the online system and asked them to send my digital transcripts to dal. Dal Should have on their website what email to send it too!

Perfect thank you so much!! 

15 hours ago, _waffle123 said:

Hey guys, 

Sorry if this has been asked already, but does the 3000 character count for our statement of intents include space? (eg. for Western and UofT). Thank you! 

Yes it does include spaces at least for western! 

On ORPAS, are we required to attach screenshots of course descriptions to SAM? I know we provide links when we add in the pre reqs but I wasn't sure if we're also supposed to do this. I know I cleared courses that weren't originally on the approved lists with the universities but should I upload course descriptions for those courses just in case?

On 12/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, slp2020ab said:

Hi everyone, has anyone who's applying to Western noticed something weird with the prerequisites? It says half credit for human anatomy/physiology but it lets you enter more than one.

I remember this was asked at western's professional day event (can't remember the proper name for it lol). Janet confirmed this was a glitch in the system on ORPAS.

4 hours ago, SoaringSLP said:

On ORPAS, are we required to attach screenshots of course descriptions to SAM? I know we provide links when we add in the pre reqs but I wasn't sure if we're also supposed to do this. I know I cleared courses that weren't originally on the approved lists with the universities but should I upload course descriptions for those courses just in case?

I included the downloaded syllabi for all my prerequisites on SAM under the "course descriptions" category, as well as the links in the prerequisite section just to be safe but I'm not sure if uploading to SAM is actually necessary.

I also asked Janet (Western U) about previously approved prereqs (i.e. via email) that were not on the pre-approved prereq list. She said to upload screenshots of the email from when I got the approval to SAM. I just titled them all "coursecode_PrerequisiteApprovalEmail" to make it as clear as possible for the admissions committee. Hope this helps :)

Edited by 2022slpplease

On 12/27/2021 at 12:05 AM, _waffle123 said:

Hey guys, 

Sorry if this has been asked already, but does the 3000 character count for our statement of intents include space? (eg. for Western and UofT). Thank you! 

Yes it does for both! Spaces, punctuation, everything counts as a character. 

Hi guys! For those of you applying to UofA, do you know if you need to submit your resume and statement of career interests first before your references receive an invite to submit their reference letter? or do they get an invite as soon as you upload transcripts and pay? 

2 hours ago, SLPwonder said:

Hi guys! For those of you applying to UofA, do you know if you need to submit your resume and statement of career interests first before your references receive an invite to submit their reference letter? or do they get an invite as soon as you upload transcripts and pay? 

Hey! I'm applying this year and it looks like the reference letter request is sent right when you upload transcripts and pay. A couple of my references are received even though I haven't submitted anything additional yet.

Hello,

For those of you applying to Dalhousie University, do you guys know when the reference forms deadline is? 

I know that the application deadline is January 15th, but the website doesnt mention the deadline for reference letters (considering how professors will only receieve the reference link after the application is submitted)

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well! Quick question about the Western application!

1. We are able to use the same full year course to fulfil both the Human Anatomy/Physiology and Life/Biomedical/General Sciences requirement? 

2. ORPAS has the option to submit 2 courses for the Human Anatomy/Physiology requirement. Is this a glitch? I feel like it was mentioned in the open house but I can't remember! 

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

23 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Hey! I'm applying this year and it looks like the reference letter request is sent right when you upload transcripts and pay. A couple of my references are received even though I haven't submitted anything additional yet.

Ah, I misread the post you are replying to and thought you were talking about ORPAS! Sorry!

Edited by somethingcleveraboutspeech

23 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Hi! Can you please confirm if we are able to go back and edit our U of A application (add transcript, CV, SOI) after we submit and pay? I want to send it out tomorrow as per the request of my academic reference, but would still like extra time to finalize it. Thank you :)

1 hour ago, speechietobe23 said:

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well! Quick question about the Western application!

1. We are able to use the same full year course to fulfil both the Human Anatomy/Physiology and Life/Biomedical/General Sciences requirement? 

2. ORPAS has the option to submit 2 courses for the Human Anatomy/Physiology requirement. Is this a glitch? I feel like it was mentioned in the open house but I can't remember! 

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Hi,

1. yes you can

2. an earlier post says that Janet told them it was a glitch in the system. I only entered one course for the Anatomy/Physiology requirement, and ORPAS says that section of the application is complete.

Hi, 

Is anyone including their volunteer experiences under personal submissions on ORPAS for UofT and Western? I know both programs have mentioned that they won't be considering that information so I'm wondering if there is any point. 

If you are, are you strictly mentioning your volunteer experiences with an SLP? I have volunteer experience helping ESL students with their English language development and comprehension skills but I'm not sure if this would be relevant.  

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Yokai said:

Hi! Can you please confirm if we are able to go back and edit our U of A application (add transcript, CV, SOI) after we submit and pay? I want to send it out tomorrow as per the request of my academic reference, but would still like extra time to finalize it. Thank you :)

I was wondering this as well! Can anyone who is applying to U of A please confirm if we can add the required documents after submitting and paying for our application? The school is closed so I have been unable to call them and confirm. 

52 minutes ago, mavka said:

I was wondering this as well! Can anyone who is applying to U of A please confirm if we can add the required documents after submitting and paying for our application? The school is closed so I have been unable to call them and confirm. 

Hi,

I have paid for and submitted my U of A application but have not uploaded all of my files. Once you've paid you can go back into it and upload transcripts, CV's and SOI's. 

However, you do need your transcripts uploaded to actually pay for the application. I didn't have my official transcript from one of my schools because they don't email them so I uploaded my unofficial. You can go back into the application, remove the unofficial and then upload the official.

58 minutes ago, 2022SLPhopefully said:

Hi,

I have paid for and submitted my U of A application but have not uploaded all of my files. Once you've paid you can go back into it and upload transcripts, CV's and SOI's. 

However, you do need your transcripts uploaded to actually pay for the application. I didn't have my official transcript from one of my schools because they don't email them so I uploaded my unofficial. You can go back into the application, remove the unofficial and then upload the official.

Thank you so much for your response!

10 hours ago, 2022SLPhopefully said:

Hi, 

Is anyone including their volunteer experiences under personal submissions on ORPAS for UofT and Western? I know both programs have mentioned that they won't be considering that information so I'm wondering if there is any point. 

If you are, are you strictly mentioning your volunteer experiences with an SLP? I have volunteer experience helping ESL students with their English language development and comprehension skills but I'm not sure if this would be relevant.  

Thanks!

I made sure to include my volunteer experiences under personal submissions because I don't think it could hurt and we weren't necessarily discouraged from doing this, at least this is the impression I got from Western. I included directly relevant volunteer experiences ( eg. shadowing an slp, directly working with individuals with swallowing and communications difficulties) and ones that weren't since they give us the option to add both in the drop down bar. Some of my volunteer hours that weren't related included things like helping out in a kindergarten classroom, tutoring young kids, leadership roles etc. I remember Janet mentioned that you could also put things down like if you were a camp counsellor and other similar volunteer positions. So yes, I would honestly include what you're considering adding since it sounds a lot more relevant than you think! 

On 12/11/2021 at 8:55 AM, Quote_Actual said:

From my perspective, its better to shorten it! When I applied last year, I had a western SLP prof edit my SOI (I went to an open house, asked lots of questions and he offered). At first I said the full thing and later wrote SLP. He said "be consistent" so I changed them all to SLP. I dont have it listed in my signature, but I was accepted to Western Audiology right away and its the same admissions board for both programs, so I take it that was fine.

I did the same with the school names, I called them UWO, U of T and Dalhousie. Now that I think about it, maybe that was a bit professional lol but I got accepted to all of them so I think its okay!

Hi! How similar were your SOIs for audiology and SLP? I'm not sure if we're supposed to make them totally different because they're reviewed by the same admissions board. Thanks so much! Any help from others that are also applying to both Audiology and SLP would be appreciated too!