Hi guys, so I decided to apply to Western at the last minute on top of other apps, and was planning on having an SLP I observed submit a letter of reference for the "professional letter". However, now I see online that they don't want a clinical reference... Does anyone have any insight? Do you think I can still have her be the professional reference?

1 minute ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

Hi guys, so I decided to apply to Western at the last minute on top of other apps, and was planning on having an SLP I observed submit a letter of reference for the "professional letter". However, now I see online that they don't want a clinical reference... Does anyone have any insight? Do you think I can still have her be the professional reference?

Yes you can still use the SLP as your reference! I had the SLP I shadowed write mine as well. 

58 minutes ago, _waffle123 said:

Hi everyone, 

For those applying to dalhousie, do you know what the "graduate record exam" refers to? 

Hey!

Graduate record exams used to be a requirement for Dal SLP but they've since gotten rid of that requirement. They haven't updated their application system to reflect that change. 

1 hour ago, 2022SLPhopefully said:

Hey!

Graduate record exams used to be a requirement for Dal SLP but they've since gotten rid of that requirement. They haven't updated their application system to reflect that change. 

Oh I see! Thank you, so I can ignore that altogether right? Also are did you submit a 3rd reference for Dal? 

9 minutes ago, _waffle123 said:

Oh I see! Thank you, so I can ignore that altogether right? Also are did you submit a 3rd reference for Dal? 

Yeah you can just ignore it!

I only submitted 2 references because they knew me well and could write me strong reference letters. I didn't bother getting a 3rd reference for my particular situation because it would have been from a prof who didn't know me very well. 

1 minute ago, 2022SLPhopefully said:

Yeah you can just ignore it!

I only submitted 2 references because they knew me well and could write me strong reference letters. I didn't bother getting a 3rd reference for my particular situation because it would have been from a prof who didn't know me very well. 

I see! Also, they required 2 copies of our official transcript, do you know what that means? How do you send 2 requests through your home institution? 

18 minutes ago, _waffle123 said:

I see! Also, they required 2 copies of our official transcript, do you know what that means? How do you send 2 requests through your home institution? 

I'm not sure if it is the same with every school but when I requested my transcripts online it gave me the option to select the number of copies I wanted to send. I would look for the option when you go to request your transcripts. If you can't find it then definitely contact the registrars office at your school for assistance.

Hope that helps :)

Hey, I have some really last minute questions about ORPAS apps if anyone knows the answer!

1. Are we allowed to apply to Western if a course is outstanding (i.e., if you plan to take it in the spring/summer before Fall 2022)?

2. How do we input in-progress or outstanding courses that we plan to take at a university that we have not yet attended? I was thinking of taking BIOL 235 at Athabasca this summer but have not taken any other courses with them in the past.

Anyone else from York applying to McMaster? I find it ridiculous how they're the only school that doesn't accept KINE 2011 Human Physiology as satisfying the human anatomy/physiology prerequisite because it doesn't include an area on speech and hearing. Instead, they suggest NATS 1675 Human Development whose syllabus doesn't even indicate a section on speech and hearing. Debating if I should still apply regardless.

4 hours ago, mavka said:

Anyone else from York applying to McMaster? I find it ridiculous how they're the only school that doesn't accept KINE 2011 Human Physiology as satisfying the human anatomy/physiology prerequisite because it doesn't include an area on speech and hearing. Instead, they suggest NATS 1675 Human Development whose syllabus doesn't even indicate a section on speech and hearing. Debating if I should still apply regardless.

woah, I'm from york and not applying to McMaster but had no clue they aren't accepting KINE 2011 as a pre requisite. It's especially bizarre considering how U of T and Western accept it. Do they accept KINE 2031 Human Anatomy? I know McMaster cares more about your subGPA and the pre requisites are there as a requirement that just need to be fulfilled but I have no clue if they'd still consider your application without an acceptable course that falls under that pre req. Your application may look incomplete. I can see Human Development is the only course from York that they suggest on the chart they have on their website but did you clear this with their graduate student affairs/ whoever the appropriate contact would be? It's weird they didn't include Human Anatomy on that chart either because one of the instructors who teaches that course also teaches Human Development which is a more watered down version of Human Anatomy as far as what my friend has told me.

My friend who applied last cycle had only taken KINE 2011 and she applied to McMaster without an issue. No clue if this is something they recently implemented ?

Edited by SoaringSLP
grammar

I had no clue about KINE2011 either, and I ended up including it as the prerequisite for McMaster. I just assumed it was accepted since every other school does. And I thought it was a good idea to include it in the prerequisites because it was fairly difficult and I got an A+.

I even took ANAT100 Online at Queens which is included in the approved courses, but that course was a joke compared to KINE2011. And in ANAT100 we barely covered any "areas relevant to SLP", it's  literally something that you can learn in a few hours or less (some superficial info on oral cavity structures and larynx as part of the digestive & respiratory system). It's just silly.

Oh well, it was a long shot for me anyway, I guess I just donated 100 bucks to McMaster ?

3 hours ago, slp2020ab said:

I had no clue about KINE2011 either, and I ended up including it as the prerequisite for McMaster. I just assumed it was accepted since every other school does. And I thought it was a good idea to include it in the prerequisites because it was fairly difficult and I got an A+.

I even took ANAT100 Online at Queens which is included in the approved courses, but that course was a joke compared to KINE2011. And in ANAT100 we barely covered any "areas relevant to SLP", it's  literally something that you can learn in a few hours or less (some superficial info on oral cavity structures and larynx as part of the digestive & respiratory system). It's just silly.

Oh well, it was a long shot for me anyway, I guess I just donated 100 bucks to McMaster ?

Nothing of substance to add but here to agree that KINE 2011 was the worst ? I still don't know how I got such a good grade. 

Hi everyone! 

I hope applications are going well. 

I had a quick question for all of my friends applying to SLP programs in Ontario... (I'm applying to Western & McMaster)

On ORPAS for transcripts, we just need to submit the transcript request, submit our application and pay the application fee, correct? It's my understanding that ORPAS handles uploading the transcripts for the schools we have applied to to see? I just want to make sure I'm not missing a step!

I look forward to hearing back from you and appreciate your help!

Wishing you all good luck!!!

17 hours ago, SoaringSLP said:

woah, I'm from york and not applying to McMaster but had no clue they aren't accepting KINE 2011 as a pre requisite. It's especially bizarre considering how U of T and Western accept it. Do they accept KINE 2031 Human Anatomy? I know McMaster cares more about your subGPA and the pre requisites are there as a requirement that just need to be fulfilled but I have no clue if they'd still consider your application without an acceptable course that falls under that pre req. Your application may look incomplete. I can see Human Development is the only course from York that they suggest on the chart they have on their website but did you clear this with their graduate student affairs/ whoever the appropriate contact would be? It's weird they didn't include Human Anatomy on that chart either because one of the instructors who teaches that course also teaches Human Development which is a more watered down version of Human Anatomy as far as what my friend has told me.

My friend who applied last cycle had only taken KINE 2011 and she applied to McMaster without an issue. No clue if this is something they recently implemented ?

Yes I confirmed with them and they said that neither KINE 2011 nor PSYC 3250 (neuro course with a section on language) satisfy the prerequisite, only NATS 1675 :( Did your friend get accepted last year?

Edited by mavka

2 hours ago, speechieEmily said:

Hi everyone! 

I hope applications are going well. 

I had a quick question for all of my friends applying to SLP programs in Ontario... (I'm applying to Western & McMaster)

On ORPAS for transcripts, we just need to submit the transcript request, submit our application and pay the application fee, correct? It's my understanding that ORPAS handles uploading the transcripts for the schools we have applied to to see? I just want to make sure I'm not missing a step!

I look forward to hearing back from you and appreciate your help!

Wishing you all good luck!!!

Correct! As long as you submit your transcript request as part of the application by tonight, it will satisfy the deadline requirement. 

7 hours ago, slp2020ab said:

It's really unfortunate and I'm sure many others have assumed the same. The amount of additional courses we have to take to satisfy individual SLP program requirements is already overwhelming and McMaster not considering Human Physiology as a course that satisfies their Human Physiology prerequisite is pretty silly. Most undergrad programs do not offer specialized anatomy and physiology courses for SLP areas. This is something that should be taught in grad school imo.

Anyone from McGill applying to McMaster? I took EDKP293 for the anatomy prerequisite but seeing people from York not have their KIN anatomy class be equivalent is making me a little nervous!

Anyone else still waiting for a reference to submit their letter? My professional reference for Western mentioned they would be submitting it yesterday, and they still have not and I have been unable to reach them today. Does anyone know if schools accepting late letters of reference is a thing? In full blown panic mode now ?

1 hour ago, Yokai said:

Anyone else still waiting for a reference to submit their letter? My professional reference for Western mentioned they would be submitting it yesterday, and they still have not and I have been unable to reach them today. Does anyone know if schools accepting late letters of reference is a thing? In full blown panic mode now ?

Try not to panic. Call your reference if you can, or even their superior and see if they know how to get in touch with them. 

You can email SAM but I'm not sure how helpful they'll be because the reference deadline is tonight. Also, as far as I know it's a personal/professional reference  - you could call up a friend to do it in a pinch. Western says "A clinical reference will not be required. In its place, applicants must submit a professional or personal reference (using a third academic reference form) from someone who knows the applicant well from a non-academic setting (e.g. work supervisor, coach, clergy member, etc)."  A friend does know you well from a non-academic setting. Not sure if that would be bending the rules, but it seems like it would be acceptable.

2 hours ago, Yokai said:

Hi! Don't worry. I asked the same question to Janet and she said they accept late references. As long as you get it in ASAP, you should be fine!

Hey everyone, we finally made it! 

Is anyone else getting the message "We are currently processing your application" after submitting? Is that normal, because I got an email from ORPAS stating I have successfully submitted my application along with the purchase receipt... I'm just unsure of whether there needs to be a different message.