I also got into the UofA! To be honest, I felt my application was just meh. There wasn't anything that really put me head and shoulders above the rest of the field. I thought I had done enough to get myself waitlisted, but I never imagined I would get accepted right away! With that said, here are my stats

Linguistics major, 3.6 sGPA, 3.0 cGPA. I started off in STEM, where the course difficulty and my lack of interest tanked my grades for a while. That was a huge source of concern for me, since GPA is the number one factor for most schools. 

1st quartile casper, which was my second area of concern. I thought that score would be a red flag to the admissions committee, and make them hesitant to accept me. 

Now onto the more positive stuff. 

Was an RA with the CSD department. This was probably the biggest strength of my application. I will say though that my role was minor, I just transcribed a whole bunch of backlogged data. I also took an independent studies class in where you work on one with a prof to learn more about their research. I didn't receive any undergrad research stipends, nor did I do an honours thesis. No presentations or publications either. 

Worked for a special needs organization in two of their programs. One of them was a program for adults with varying diagnoses, many of which were medically fragile. The other program was specifically for kids with FASD. 

There were a few more minor roles I put in my CV, but I don't think they influenced my application as much as the previous stuff. That's stuff like my customer service job and volunteering at the library.

So for anyone who's doubting themselves, please remember that you don't have to be a superhuman genius to get in. I think the UofA taking a more holistic approach to admissions really benefitted me. I talked a ton about EDI in my LOI, so I'm guessing they liked that. I'm so grateful for this opportunity, as I would've been rejected by McMaster for sure (and probably McGill b/c of cGPA + casper). Best of luck to those who are still waiting, and anybody who's applying in the future!

Edit: after posting I realized this is super rambly, so I've tried to trim things down a little 

Edited by superstarslp

1 minute ago, SLPThreadGirl said:

Has anyone from Ontario been accepted into Alberta today or just people from Alberta? I've heard in the past that they only reserve a few spots for students from outside of the province but not sure if this is true.

I’m from Ontario. Haven’t heard anything as of yet! 

2 minutes ago, AG404 said:

Does UoA send out acceptances, rejections, waitlist on same day? Just wondering what to expect. I’m legit gonna lose my mind soon with the wait! 

Last year acceptances were over 2 days (Friday and oddly Saturday), then waitlists, and rejections followed on Mon/Tues. 

1 minute ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Last year acceptances were over 2 days (Friday and oddly Saturday), then waitlists, and rejections followed on Mon/Tues. 

Thanks so much for the info! Really appreciate this!!  

22 minutes ago, superstarslp said:

I also got into the UofA! To be honest, I felt my application was just meh. There wasn't anything that really put me head and shoulders above the rest of the field. I thought I had done enough to get myself waitlisted, but I never imagined I would get accepted right away! With that said, here are my stats

Linguistics major, 3.6 sGPA, 3.0 cGPA. I started off in STEM, where the course difficulty and my lack of interest tanked my grades for a while. That was a huge source of concern for me, since GPA is the number one factor for most schools. 

1st quartile casper, which was my second area of concern. I thought that score would be a red flag to the admissions committee, and make them hesitant to accept me. 

Now onto the more positive stuff. 

Was an RA with the CSD department. This was probably the biggest strength of my application. I will say though that my role was minor, I just transcribed a whole bunch of backlogged data. I also took an independent studies class in where you work on one with a prof to learn more about their research. I didn't receive any undergrad research stipends, nor did I do an honours thesis. No presentations or publications either. 

Worked for a special needs organization in two of their programs. One of them was a program for adults with varying diagnoses, many of which were medically fragile. The other program was specifically for kids with FASD. 

There were a few more minor roles I put in my CV, but I don't think they influenced my application as much as the previous stuff. That's stuff like my customer service job and volunteering at the library.

So for anyone who's doubting themselves, please remember that you don't have to be a superhuman genius to get in. I think the UofA taking a more holistic approach to admissions really benefitted me. I talked a ton about EDI in my LOI, so I'm guessing they liked that. I'm so grateful for this opportunity, as I would've been rejected by McMaster for sure (and probably McGill b/c of cGPA + casper). Best of luck to those who are still waiting, and anybody who's applying in the future!

Edit: after posting I realized this is super rambly, so I've tried to trim things down a little 

What’s EDI?

Hi everyone, I checked my email a couple of hours ago and I got the email that I got into U of A!! My online portal hasn't changed at all, it still says pre-screening and everything.

This is my second year applying to grad school. I just wanted to let you know also that it's okay to not get in your first try. It's hard after all the work you've put into getting in, and I totally was there last year and I felt like giving up and finding some other profession. But remember to keep trying and building your application, keep finding opportunities to grow and stay motivated, and also just remember that it's going to work out how it's supposed to (as cliche as it is). Just keep going, you're going to make it through! 

I wish everyone the best of luck, and feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions or wanna chat:)❤️ 

Edited by ewdavid

33 minutes ago, SLPThreadGirl said:

Has anyone from Ontario been accepted into Alberta today or just people from Alberta? I've heard in the past that they only reserve a few spots for students from outside of the province but not sure if this is true.

I am from Ontario and I heard back from UofA a couple hours ago. Don't lose hope! They may be sending offers on a rolling basis. Best of luck to you!! 

Hello, from the OASIS orientation they said they will take 62 students from U of A, I am also still waiting to hear, I did not get anything yet and my portal still says pending... Congratulations to everyone that heard already, it is an amazing feeling for sure!

4 hours ago, victoriaSLP said:

Accepted into UofA!!! So so excited! I'll be accepting this offer and rejecting McGill! I hope everyone hears soon

Congrats!!! I have the same offers as you, I'm interested to know why you are choosing Alberta vs. McGill?

25 minutes ago, sophiaSLP said:

Congrats!!! I have the same offers as you, I'm interested to know why you are choosing Alberta vs. McGill?

Congrats to you as well! I don't speak French and I've heard that its much harder to get practicums at McGill if you only speak English. I've also heard that McGill is much more theory based whereas UofA is more clinical which is more my priority. I've just heard such amazing things about UofA in general and know a few SLPs who have been there and loved it. Also, UofA is closer to home for me and more affordable which is for sure a big factor! I also applied to UofT but even if I do get in, I still think UofA is my top choice. I am sure all the schools are amazing though, I don't think you can go wrong :)

16 minutes ago, SLPThreadGirl said:

Has anyone heard from U of A today?

Hi SLPThreadGirl, I am also waiting from U of A. Do they send in the information all at once or like slowly rolling? I am also patiently waiting..