1 hour ago, SLPPLS101 said:

Anyone else just a ball of anxiety this week... Friday couldn't come any quicker!! lol 

Also, does anyone know if U of T sends out offers right at midnight or we should expect emails throughout the day on Friday? 

I'm not too sure about offers since I got a rejection last year lol, but Western is right at midnight and I woke up to my UofT email at around 9 in the morning. Either way tho, accepted or rejected, its a pretty quick process.

6 hours ago, _waffle123 said:

Hey! Does anyone know how many people Western and Uoft puts on the waitlist? 

No idea about UofT, but last year I counted 49 people on Western's waitlist just from this forum. So my guess is 80-100, which is ridiculous lol

edit: actually 49 included those who got a direct acceptance and went somewhere else. There were 30 on the waitlist from this forum, so maybe it's 50-60.

Edited by slp2020ab

Curious if anyone knows the U of A's protocol when it comes to transcripts?

I have all of the prerequisites completed along with a completed Bachelors. 

I'm currently completing a second Bachelors (which I have classes in progress for, however none of which "need" to be counted). 

My question is, since my acceptance isn't Provisional (as I completed all of the requirements), will they ask for an updated transcript anyways?

Just wondering if I still need to worry about As or if I can take a breath. ? TIA.

11 hours ago, RLSpine said:

Question for those who have been rejected last year and admitted this year:

what experience would you say made you that much more competitive the second year around? After seeing the reality of the admission process I still have little faith with my remaining application, but also trying to be realistic in that I do want to be better prepared if I need to make a second bout of applications next year. 

I was planning on doing a minor in cognitive science, since my background is more revolving around linguistics and literature. I work in a hospital with elderly patients and also volunteer with homework help. This summer I plan on working alongside patients presenting aphasia. 

thank you in advance!

I got rejected from McMaster and McGill last year and have been accepted to U of A this year. I had (very) low grades in my first 2.5 years due to a lack of motivation and mental health reasons, so I went back to York after my rejections as a non-degree student and took several courses (psychology and psycholinguistics related) which I made sure to do well in. I don't recommend taking random GPA-boosting courses that aren't psychology or linguistics related because some schools won't even consider them in their GPA calculations if you're going back as a non-degree student. Confirm with the school you'd like to apply to because each one has different requirements (e.g. has to be psychology or has to be a 3rd/4th year course). You mentioned that you have a linguistics and literature background, so taking some psychology or psycholinguistics courses would be a great way to strengthen your application. Not sure which school you're planning on doing your minor in, but I graduated from the cog sci program at York so you can message me if you have any questions about it! 

I spent A LOT more time writing and editing my SOI with a strong focus on EDI and had multiple people review it. I'm pretty sure I went through over 30 drafts. Also, I continued volunteering and got a new position to broaden my experience to working with kids since I had only worked with adults throughout my undergrad. Also, think about your references and how confident you are in their ability to write you a strong letter. I only had 1 academic reference last year when I applied because I didn't build any other prof relationships throughout my undergrad. Taking additional courses this year allowed me to change that and I made sure to attend every Zoom class, ask questions, and occasionally show up to office hour sessions. If you're planning on taking additional courses and requesting references from those profs, make sure to review their academic rank prior to enrolling because the ranks are weighted differently.

Lastly, I recommend seeking a volunteer or paid research position. Perhaps the hospital that you work at has opportunities? You can find postings online for both remote and on-site positions and I'm not sure if you're in Toronto, but UHN offers a lot of research opportunities. Even if the posting specifies that they require experience, still apply because I got interviews for paid positions with SPSS certification and no research experience. I also recommend taking courses such as SPSS, R, or Python because knowledge of statistical software or programming will help your resume stand out to schools and employers. You can find them online (Coursera offers some free courses for students) or most universities offer them as short/certificate courses. 

Most importantly, don't lose hope!! Last year's rejections spiralled me into a dark place for some time. For those who did not get accepted this year, allow yourself to grieve but then get back on that grind and start working on your application EARLY. For those who may not have competitive GPAs, don't allow your grades to define you.  I was on the cusp of the GPA cut-off and was in denial when I received my acceptance letter. Focus on enriching experiences (volunteering, work, extracurriculars, certificates) that make you a strong candidate and highlight what you learned from each one and how it would translate well into your success as an aspiring SLP. Sorry for the rant lol. Crossing my fingers for your remaining applications :) 

Edited by mavka

7 hours ago, mavka said:

I got rejected from McMaster and McGill last year and have been accepted to U of A this year. I had (very) low grades in my first 2.5 years due to a lack of motivation and mental health reasons, so I went back to York after my rejections as a non-degree student and took several courses (psychology and psycholinguistics related) which I made sure to do well in. I don't recommend taking random GPA-boosting courses that aren't psychology or linguistics related because some schools won't even consider them in their GPA calculations if you're going back as a non-degree student. Confirm with the school you'd like to apply to because each one has different requirements (e.g. has to be psychology or has to be a 3rd/4th year course). You mentioned that you have a linguistics and literature background, so taking some psychology or psycholinguistics courses would be a great way to strengthen your application. Not sure which school you're planning on doing your minor in, but I graduated from the cog sci program at York so you can message me if you have any questions about it! 

I spent A LOT more time writing and editing my SOI with a strong focus on EDI and had multiple people review it. I'm pretty sure I went through over 30 drafts. Also, I continued volunteering and got a new position to broaden my experience to working with kids since I had only worked with adults throughout my undergrad. Also, think about your references and how confident you are in their ability to write you a strong letter. I only had 1 academic reference last year when I applied because I didn't build any other prof relationships throughout my undergrad. Taking additional courses this year allowed me to change that and I made sure to attend every Zoom class, ask questions, and occasionally show up to office hour sessions. If you're planning on taking additional courses and requesting references from those profs, make sure to review their academic rank prior to enrolling because the ranks are weighted differently.

Lastly, I recommend seeking a volunteer or paid research position. Perhaps the hospital that you work at has opportunities? You can find postings online for both remote and on-site positions and I'm not sure if you're in Toronto, but UHN offers a lot of research opportunities. Even if the posting specifies that they require experience, still apply because I got interviews for paid positions with SPSS certification and no research experience. I also recommend taking courses such as SPSS, R, or Python because knowledge of statistical software or programming will help your resume stand out to schools and employers. You can find them online (Coursera offers some free courses for students) or most universities offer them as short/certificate courses. 

Most importantly, don't lose hope!! Last year's rejections spiralled me into a dark place for some time. For those who did not get accepted this year, allow yourself to grieve but then get back on that grind and start working on your application EARLY. For those who may not have competitive GPAs, don't allow your grades to define you.  I was on the cusp of the GPA cut-off and was in denial when I received my acceptance letter. Focus on enriching experiences (volunteering, work, extracurriculars, certificates) that make you a strong candidate and highlight what you learned from each one and how it would translate well into your success as an aspiring SLP. Sorry for the rant lol. Crossing my fingers for your remaining applications :) 

Thank you so much for such a generous answer! resilience is key of course. will definitely be looking into more psych classes as well!

On 3/26/2022 at 11:30 PM, speechenthusiast said:

Has anyone else heard from dal? I know one person here did but I wanna know if it’s safe to say that I’m rejected if I haven’t heard yet or if maybe they are still sending our acceptances, because I know someone else said they continue until mid April. 

Hello! I applied to both Audio & SLP at Dal last year. I was accepted Audio on Mar 29th (exactly a year ago today ?). Im assuming its faster since there are significantly less applicants, not sure though. I didnt hear anything about my SLP app so I just assumed I was flat out rejected ahaha. But on April 20th, I was offered a seat!

Talking to my classmates, several of them were taken off the waitlist throughout the summer. I believe the lastest was 2 weeks before class started in September. 

Interestingly, two of my classmates got accepted off of western's waitlist like mid september. They were literally sitting in lecture at Dal when they got the email and they were like "?" ahaha. 

On 3/25/2022 at 5:08 PM, AG404 said:

Also, does anyone know how big Dal's cohort is?

SLP is around 24 students, Audio is 13! Total we were 37 I think :) 

Edit: I realized someone else already answered this question earlier. I cant delete posts so enjoy this repetitive info lol

Edited by Quote_Actual

1 hour ago, EmSLP2021 said:

Anyone else thinking Dal will be sending out acceptances any day now? Gosh I hope so the wait is killing me!!!!

Hey! I applied to audiology, but I got my acceptance today! They actually accidentally sent that I was accepted to both programs even though I only applied to audiology. So you guys should be hearing soon I would guess! Good luck!!

22 hours ago, SLPPLS101 said:

Anyone else just a ball of anxiety this week... Friday couldn't come any quicker!! lol 

Also, does anyone know if U of T sends out offers right at midnight or we should expect emails throughout the day on Friday? 

I am caught between "everything happens for a reason" and not wanting to deal with any kind of rejection. The waiting game is one thing, but having absolutely no idea where you stand is the worst! Friday can't come fast enough!!

23 hours ago, SLPPLS101 said:

Last year Western updated their decision on their student portal right at midnight. UofT's offer was actually in ORPAS around the same time (it was the only one updated there directly) so be sure to check everywhere! The email from UofT came later in the day. 

13 minutes ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Weird that it appears no one heard from U of A this week. Does the potential strike have anything to do with it?

They stated on their website that the strike wouldn't affect any admissions processes, but based upon what I've seen on this thread from Dal, they likely received a record-high number of applications this year so they may be a little slow on sending everything out.

4 hours ago, Quote_Actual said:

SLP is around 24 students, Audio is 13! Total we were 37 I think :) 

Edit: I realized someone else already answered this question earlier. I cant delete posts so enjoy this repetitive info lol

No Problem! Thx for the information ?

1 hour ago, ewdavid said:

They stated on their website that the strike wouldn't affect any admissions processes, but based upon what I've seen on this thread from Dal, they likely received a record-high number of applications this year so they may be a little slow on sending everything out.

That’s totally fair! Yeah someone on the board mentioned that earlier. I just think it’s strange that they released some decisions last week and seemingly nothing yet this week

I just spoke to an admissions rep at Dal, she informed me that the rolling acceptances are going out extremely slow and that some people wont be informed on acceptance/rejection until mid April. She said they had over 500+ applicants and that they are still going through some of them. She also stated that she had made a mistake on a previous application and offered an individual a spot in SLP (which the individual did not apply to - I saw the student post in an earlier post about this). She said this offer will not affect the overall acceptance of 24 (I think) students. 

20 hours ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

Last year Western updated their decision on their student portal right at midnight. UofT's offer was actually in ORPAS around the same time (it was the only one updated there directly) so be sure to check everywhere! The email from UofT came later in the day. 

Wait so am I correct that it's really Thursday at midnight (tomorrow) that results from ORPAS will come out?

13 minutes ago, hopefulslper said:

Wait so am I correct that it's really Thursday at midnight (tomorrow) that results from ORPAS will come out?

Yes! That's how it was last year if I remember correctly. March 31st @  midnight. I just checked and my email from Western came in at 12:11 am April 1st (it was a waitlist).

5 minutes ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

Good luck everybody! i know it's going to be some of the longest and most stressful couple of days for a lot of you. Hope to see some of you next year at UofT :) 

Are you currently in UofT slp?

Edited by Futureslper