Fall 2022 Business Ph.D. Applicants

PhD22Plz

3 minutes ago, Elf2019 said:

I mean, having nuanced/multiple factors that determine people's placement doesn't really make academia any different from any other profession, imo. Every job field has its idiosyncrasies. I'm just trying to learn more about the ins and outs of this one...

I was making light of how difficult it is to crack this egg. I respect that you’re trying— more eyes makes for less work for everyone! 

I never figured out what “impact” actually is, despite being told that it’s important.

2 minutes ago, Vyndian said:

I never figured out what “impact” actually is, despite being told that it’s important.

I would assume it probably has something to do with how influential it is in future research, with the most common way to quantify that being number of citations.

8 minutes ago, Elf2019 said:

I would assume it probably has something to do with how influential it is in future research, with the most common way to quantify that being number of citations.

You’d think that, but not quite. Because how do you know something will be impactful before its circulation?

Yet, at the elite schools especially, they’ll look at someone with an R+R and say “yep, thats the impactful one.”

Edit: It’s the ambiguity of stuff like this that makes me question whether I really *want* a Ph.D. or not.

Edited by Vyndian

14 minutes ago, Vyndian said:

Revise and resubmit— basically an editor at one of the journals finds some promise in a manuscript but wants changes.

Sure - being told to revise and resubmit isn't bad, considering most papers wind up being rejected, and only a minority are accepted on first try. 

So given that, I suppose someone could subjectively consider one working paper to be more impactful than another working paper, especially if they've seen the person present on it on conferences or if they feel it will be important for the development of one's own field. But I think a published paper with lots of citations is always going to be considered to be objectively impactful, and will beat out a working paper, I'd assume. And generally a paper that is published is better than a working paper, but I guess I could imagine exceptions if a paper is published in a more lowly regarded journal and doesn't have many citations, but a working paper is in being actively edited for likely publication in a more highly regarded journal.

I'm largely speculating on how this would work, but this is what I would expect anyhow...

So it turns out I was competitive in the health policy space with operations focus but couldnt crack operations programs with a healthcare focus.

Goodluck with your remaining schools everyone-- my biggest takeaway from this cycle is that it is damn hard to break into top B schools so be stoked on wherever you can get in! It is still unclear to me what these top programs are even looking for!

1 hour ago, Mr. Jameson said:

So it turns out I was competitive in the health policy space with operations focus but couldnt crack operations programs with a healthcare focus.

Goodluck with your remaining schools everyone-- my biggest takeaway from this cycle is that it is damn hard to break into top B schools so be stoked on wherever you can get in! It is still unclear to me what these top programs are even looking for!

Amazing news! Congratulations on the Harvard Offer @Mr. Jameson 

22 hours ago, Mr. Jameson said:

Congrats! Take Harvard and run with it!

I'm applying to HBS TOM, Anderson Marketing, and Stern IOMS. I haven't heard from them, but I'm pretty sure that at this point, I'm going to be rejected. I saw that someone posted that HBS TOM has made their decision, and NYU Stern has sent rejection letters. Why don't they send the rejection letter to me yet? I just want this admission cycle to end soon. The waiting is tormenting.

Rotman (University of Toronto) sent out offers about a week ago for OB, in case anyone is waiting. I'm under the impression that waitlisted candidates have not been informed of them being on a waitlist, and will only be informed if/when someone declines their offer and the waitlist starts moving. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 3:13 PM, Dorisss2020 said:

Hi, has anyone heard from UW Foster Str/Tech Entre after the virtual visit? I I am now under pressure to make a decision on another offer. Emailed the coordinator but no response. Any info is extremely appreciated...thanks a lot...

Heard back from micro. No idea about strategy tho. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, PhD-hopeful said:

Congratulations! 

Thank you! This was my first cycle applying, and I only applied to 3 schools (two of which don't align with my research interests). It was super risky. I was meh about one of the schools and  would've been happy attending either of the other two. Got into the school that matches my research interests. I like the location too. A huge sigh of relief!