Fall 2022 Business Ph.D. Applicants

PhD22Plz

1 hour ago, purpleyam said:

Hi everyone! Very late to this thread but micro-OB applicant here. I have heard back from only HBS so far and a couple of social psychology programs I applied to. Does anyone know if the Yale SOM visit day invite on the results page is legit?

Congrats on hearing back from HBS! And yes, Yale SOM visit day is legit. 

23 minutes ago, Vyndian said:

Because people all over other social media websites keep saying gradcafe is fake.

What they can’t handle is realizing that they weren’t selected.

It self-corrects by April because the rejection letters are all sent.

@VyndianI see, never really heard about it but just looked it up. Interesting to know that people could go that length just to fool themselves.

16 hours ago, finance2022 said:

Have now heard from a Finance program. Still surprised by how few results are on GradCafe compared to January 2021.

school? 

Ive been thinking the same thing, was hoping to hear from Yale this week (similar to past years). Although I know that Yale, and many other schools, postponed the start of their semester by 2 weeks because of COVID. I imagine that would delay us for a similar amount of time

7 hours ago, stratphdguy said:

@Vyndian, just got that misconduct disclaimer ping from UW. Think it means anything? 

One hand, it clearly says “final candidate” and on the other hand it says “not offer of admission, review process ongoing.”

But I’m left wondering— in the business world, we bug HR last. Like, why waste their resources if a person isn’t going to work out for other reasons?

So, yes, I do think it means something. My guess? The groundwork for a straight-acceptance (or something similarly green-lit).

Edited by Vyndian

5 hours ago, Vyndian said:

One hand, it clearly says “final candidate” and on the other hand it says “not offer of admission, review process ongoing.”

But I’m left wondering— in the business world, we bug HR last. Like, why waste their resources if a person isn’t going to work out for other reasons?

So, yes, I do think it means something. My guess? The groundwork for a straight-acceptance (or something similarly green-lit).

Based on my understanding, UW usually requires a written assignment -> interview -> final selection. Unless they are doing things differently this year. 

23 minutes ago, xxxxxx said:

Based on my understanding, UW usually requires a written assignment -> interview -> final selection. Unless they are doing things differently this year. 

Thanks for the knowledge! I’ve never been a huge fan of doing homework for interviews… it reminds me of the ridiculousness of things like FAANG interviews.

I promise to keep y’all updated.

9 hours ago, Mr. Jameson said:

school? 

Ive been thinking the same thing, was hoping to hear from Yale this week (similar to past years). Although I know that Yale, and many other schools, postponed the start of their semester by 2 weeks because of COVID. I imagine that would delay us for a similar amount of time

Washington University in St. Louis.

10 hours ago, Mr. Jameson said:

school? 

I've heard the same about one of the US schools I applied to, that they will delay about 2 weeks in both interview and final decision release. Guess this is common this year for US schools.

4 hours ago, Vyndian said:

U WA sent a follow up today confirming shortlist status and wants a 3 minute pre-recorded interview.

First impressions matter a lot to me— so I feel quite conflicted about this.

Did you get the same interview request @stratphdguy?

I did! Seems like you were right about the misconduct disclaimer being some sort of green light. 

Re the pre-recorded interview, I've pretty much answered the exact questions they've asked in my statement of purpose in some depth (I mean, they're pretty cookie cutter), so it's going to be fun to try and say something new here.  Oh well - happy to have been shortlisted, at least. Good luck to us!

5 hours ago, stratphdguy said:

I did! Seems like you were right about the misconduct disclaimer being some sort of green light. 

Re the pre-recorded interview, I've pretty much answered the exact questions they've asked in my statement of purpose in some depth (I mean, they're pretty cookie cutter), so it's going to be fun to try and say something new here.  Oh well - happy to have been shortlisted, at least. Good luck to us!

Are you guys the OB/HRM track or the strategic management track? 

4 hours ago, Vyndian said:

Strat. All my apps are some flavor of Macro.

I see. That makes sense since I am under the impression that OB/HRM track will make their decision on interview next week or early Feb. Good luck to your interview! (also ignore what I said about written assignment lol, I think that's only for OBHRM).

Hey everyone - first year management student here. I wanted to wish you all good luck with interviews!  I know that the waiting game is very stressful.

In case it is at all helpful as a reference: my first interview invite last year came on 1/15 and the last one came on 2/11.  If that is any indication of this year's timeline, it is still very early in the process! 

Good luck to all! 

2 hours ago, PhDStrat2022 said:

Hey, which area did u apply to? is it Management? I applied to the Tech Entrepreneurship and idk looks like they're not shortlisting me ?

Like I wrote, Strategy— it’s a subset of Management.

Though, their email references both:

””You've made our short list of candidates for admissions to our Strategy and Technology Entrepreneurship PhD programs this fall.””

Sorry to hear you’re not on the list yet, sending good vibes.

Edited by Vyndian

12 minutes ago, Vyndian said:

Like I wrote, Strategy— it’s a subset of Management.

Though, their email references both:

””You've made our short list of candidates for admissions to our Strategy and Technology Entrepreneurship PhD programs this fall.””

Sorry to hear you’re not on the list yet, sending good vibes.

Congratulations to you! Okay I hope they're still shortlisting for Tech Entrepreneurship.