MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

I feel like I'm going crazy checking my email every five minutes, so I figured I'd update here.

Rejected: Rutgers (are they ever gonna send out an official email? Shame on them)

Interviews: SAIC (ultra nice faculty and great feedback, left feeling really positive), MICA (coming up this weekend)

Accepted: UNM (with a preview of really exciting deal)

Waiting: UW, VCU, UTK, RISD

I figure I probably didn't get into UW, VCU, or RISD considering so many other folks have received interviews. Really crossing my fingers that I hear some news soon.

Big digital hug to everyone going through this process. It's no joke.

18 hours ago, Westcoasty said:

Has anyone here experienced an in-person interview? Are any schools doing in-person interviews at all? Just curious.

I only applied to the low-res MFA program at Bard this year, still waiting for an update...

I also only applied to Bard. What discipline did you apply into?

45 minutes ago, cirrostratusphere said:

I feel like I'm going crazy checking my email every five minutes, so I figured I'd update here.

Rejected: Rutgers (are they ever gonna send out an official email? Shame on them)

Interviews: SAIC (ultra nice faculty and great feedback, left feeling really positive), MICA (coming up this weekend)

Accepted: UNM (with a preview of really exciting deal)

Waiting: UW, VCU, UTK, RISD

I figure I probably didn't get into UW, VCU, or RISD considering so many other folks have received interviews. Really crossing my fingers that I hear some news soon.

Big digital hug to everyone going through this process. It's no joke.

Big digital hug to you also. It will all work out! (and you have already done so well!) 

Here, I am hoping to get an interview offer from UCLA New Genres the most.

(somehow there is nothing in this forum. or I missed sth)

4 minutes ago, ORRI said:

Big digital hug to you also. It will all work out! (and you have already done so well!) 

Here, I am hoping to get an interview offer from UCLA New Genres the most.

(somehow there is nothing in this forum. or I missed sth)

It seems like UCLA painting interviews went out but I haven’t heard anything from photography. Hopefully this week!

Just wanted to point out- if you get an interview/ acceptance / rejection/ WL notification then you should post it on the results part of the website. Heres the link to submit https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/post.php . You don't need an account to post!

Especially if you don't have an account and are just looking on this thread for updates, bc then we can see your updates too!!

And future applicants can easily search there without spending hours scrolling through every post on these threads for hours?

Hi all! Has anyone heard from Pratt for Printmaking?

I applied to the below schools for Printmaking (or Studio Art where applicable) and am basically just waiting on Pratt as a last hope, has anyone heard from them yet besides photo?

Pratt

Rutgers (reject)

Temple (haven't received a letter but assuming reject)

Columbia (haven't heard but its a reach)

Hunter (just got my rejection letter)

23 minutes ago, ABLBDB345 said:

I applied to the below schools for Printmaking (or Studio Art where applicable) and am basically just waiting on Pratt as a last hope, has anyone heard from them yet besides photo?

Pratt

Rutgers (reject)

Also just got my Hunter rejection ? also waiting on Columbia but also a reach for me. Wishing you luck! 

3 hours ago, Salsasanasa said:

Has anyone heard anything about UW-Seattle or UW-Madison (other than printmaking)? I was wondering if painting was notified of interview etc  

Both seem largely still in process right?

Hi. I applied to UW Seattle painting but have not gotten an interview invite. I believe they are conducting them this week, and the photo/media applicants are already having their interviews.  I started a thread for UW on this forum separately, in hopes to gather all the applicants as it doesn’t seem many people applied. 

Good luck and I hope you get to hear from your schools soon! 

34 minutes ago, ABLBDB345 said:

Pratt

Rutgers (reject)

Applied to Pratt too and I think late February early March is when they will be reaching out. They’re still reviewing all the applications. 

9 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

Hi. I applied to UW Seattle painting but have not gotten an interview invite. I believe they are conducting them this week, and the photo/media applicants are already having their interviews.  I started a thread for UW on this forum separately, in hopes to gather all the applicants as it doesn’t seem many people applied. 

Good luck and I hope you get to hear from your schools soon! 

Ah okay, I hope that doesn't mean we are out of the running if they are conducting them already? Good luck to you too! Cheers

Edited by Salsasanasa

About 20 minutes after I got my Hunter rejection I got SAIC acceptance with 50% tuition award, having a roller coaster of self worth today but remembering we are not for everyone and our worth is not based on acceptance or rejection. Hoping you all get some good news today! 

1 hour ago, RyanV said:

About 20 minutes after I got my Hunter rejection I got SAIC acceptance with 50% tuition award, having a roller coaster of self worth today but remembering we are not for everyone and our worth is not based on acceptance or rejection. Hoping you all get some good news today! 

Wow congrats!! Can I ask when did you interview with SAIC? and what department? I just interviewed with them this past weekend for sculpture, so that seems awfully quick, as I was told to expect a decision by March 1. 

Invited for a second interview (in-person) with Stanford. Didn't realize they did second interviews.. Someone asked about UCLA, I had my interview for painting last week but nothing in my portal has changed and all of my exchanges have been with the painting faculty directly. That must mean it's a departmental thing, unlike how other programs have been functioning. Had Yale interview on Monday, think it went well! Very anxiously awaiting results now!! ?

I also just want to say (sorry if this is like sappy or unnecessary, I just think maybe it's important to say) this is my second time applying to grad school. The first time I got rejected by half of the programs I applied to. It was devastating and felt very bad about myself/art. I then just decided to take a year off from applying and focus on making work. I still haven't gotten accepted anywhere (hopefully I'm not jinxing myself) but all I'm trying to say is that if things don't work out the way you'd hoped they would, you can always try again! These programs aren't going anywhere, though I completely understand not wanting to apply more than once, it is such a long and vulnerable process. Alternatively, sometimes things happen the way they're supposed to happen! 

Okay, my little rant is over thanks for your time lol!!!!!

Hey everyone, I’ve been lurking on this thread since January, thought I would share my own experience so far. I received my BFA in painting in 2019 and this is the first time I’ve applied to MFA programs. Here’s the run down on who I’ve heard from so far and who I’m waiting on.

-Ohio State, waitlist

-Northwestern, rejected

-University of Arkansas, interviewed on 02/05, waiting for decision

-RISD, interviewed on 02/09, waiting for decision

Still waiting to hear from: UConn, Syracuse University, Michigan State, University of Wisconsin-Madison. Anybody in painting hear from those folks yet?

Good luck everyone!

1 minute ago, reddish said:

Hey everyone, I’ve been lurking on this thread since January, thought I would share my own experience so far. I received my BFA in painting in 2019 and this is the first time I’ve applied to MFA programs. Here’s the run down on who I’ve heard from so far and who I’m waiting on.

-Ohio State, waitlist

-Northwestern, rejected

Still waiting to hear from: UConn, Syracuse University, Michigan State, University of Wisconsin-Madison. Anybody in painting hear from those folks yet?

Good luck everyone!

Syracuse is supposedly finalizing decisions today so I’m thinking they will start contacting people soonish? I haven’t heard about them sending out interview requests or anything so I’m not sure what’s going on as far as interviews. Congrats on the interviews so far tho and good luck!

7 minutes ago, Pickle95 said:

Invited for a second interview (in-person) with Stanford. Didn't realize they did second interviews.. Someone asked about UCLA, I had my interview for painting last week but nothing in my portal has changed and all of my exchanges have been with the painting faculty directly. That must mean it's a departmental thing, unlike how other programs have been functioning. Had Yale interview on Monday, think it went well! Very anxiously awaiting results now!! ?

I also just want to say (sorry if this is like sappy or unnecessary, I just think maybe it's important to say) this is my second time applying to grad school. The first time I got rejected by half of the programs I applied to. It was devastating and felt very bad about myself/art. I then just decided to take a year off from applying and focus on making work. I still haven't gotten accepted anywhere (hopefully I'm not jinxing myself) but all I'm trying to say is that if things don't work out the way you'd hoped they would, you can always try again! These programs aren't going anywhere, though I completely understand not wanting to apply more than once, it is such a long and vulnerable process. Alternatively, sometimes things happen the way they're supposed to happen! 

Okay, my little rant is over thanks for your time lol!!!!!

Pickle, you and a few other applicants have done this a few times and have a lot of good tips. Can we collect you all together and put you on zoom for a workshop, will pay $$$$$ ? ??

Congratulations on your second interview and congratulations on your others as well. ?

4 hours ago, HJAn said:

Wow congrats!! Can I ask when did you interview with SAIC? and what department? I just interviewed with them this past weekend for sculpture, so that seems awfully quick, as I was told to expect a decision by March 1. 

It was in photography, I did interview Saturday but I think every department is different. Good luck ??!

I also only applied to one school, @Forms Without Formula, and I think I also didn't get in (no interview request, UW Madison). It's kinda confusing how everyone emphasizes the importance of finding a great fit for MFA programs. So I decided on the best program for me but... now kinda feeling like any program might be better than no program ?  Oh wells. Now we know for next year (if we decide that trying again is the right path for us :)). 

9 hours ago, ABLBDB345 said:

Pratt

Rutgers (reject)

I also haven't heard from Temple. However from last year's thread it looks like it was as late as mid-march that people heard back. so I think we're good for now :)

5 hours ago, reddish said:

-Ohio State, waitlist

-Northwestern, rejected

Good luck everyone!

nothing back from UCONN for me either. another mid-march situation possibly? I sure am hoping to hear sooner.

3 hours ago, annaconda said:

I also only applied to one school, @Forms Without Formula, and I think I also didn't get in (no interview request, UW Madison). It's kinda confusing how everyone emphasizes the importance of finding a great fit for MFA programs. So I decided on the best program for me but... now kinda feeling like any program might be better than no program ?  Oh wells. Now we know for next year (if we decide that trying again is the right path for us :)). 

It’s not over until it’s over, as far as I read it was just print for Wisconsin for that deadline and interviews but who knows. Hang in there till you get the reject, I applied too for painting and haven’t heard anything. So we shall see! Cheers