MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

Just now, chunkeymonkey said:

Hi everyone! As decisions start rolling in, I wanted to hear people's thoughts on different Sculpture MFA programs. I haven't heard back from most of my programs - UCLA, VCU, Carnegie Mellon, UPenn, RISD and Northwestern. I think as of now top contenders for me are UCLA and VCU. Where did everyone else apply to? What are everyone's thoughts on the programs? 

:)

Hi all Sculpture applicants! I set up a new topic to discuss programs/ interview tips/ etc! Would love to hear people's thoughts on different sculpture programs especially VCU and UCLA 

17 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Just received an offer from Lamar Dodd with a full tuition remission and stipend.

The rest are:

MECA: accepted 50% tuition scholarship

Tyler: Interviewed 2/5

Rutgers: Rejected

UT Knoxville: Rejected

UW Madison: Rejected

CMU: Rejected 

VCU: ……crickets……

Congratulations!! I was this ?? close to applying but I need to be close to a coastline. Such an awesome program. ???

This might be too specific, but has anyone reached out to SAIC about negotiating funding? I was accepted into their ATS department with ~20% need based funding, but their tuition is super expensive. I was accepted into another program with full funding so I was going to email and try to negotiate, but not sure who I should reach out to--the department, financial services, admissions generally? Does anyone have experience with this?

38 minutes ago, flowr said:

This might be too specific, but has anyone reached out to SAIC about negotiating funding? I was accepted into their ATS department with ~20% need based funding, but their tuition is super expensive. I was accepted into another program with full funding so I was going to email and try to negotiate, but not sure who I should reach out to--the department, financial services, admissions generally? Does anyone have experience with this?

You should have a graduate coordinator or a full time professor in your department that works with coordinating grad admissions. Last year, they gave me a form I filled out where I could petition for more funding. 

Hey Y'all, 

Just found out about this forum! I applied to CCA, ArtCenter, CalArts, UCLA, Otis, and Columbia for mostly Photo (and studio where applicable) 

I have interviewed for CCA, ArtCentre, CalArts and Columbia (All interview went well)

Unofficial acceptance from CCA

I haven't heard back from UCLA and Otis

I have been searching, Is there anyone who applied to UCLA Photo that has heard back! Starting to get worried ?

10 minutes ago, PhotoMFAer said:

Hey Y'all, 

Just found out about this forum! I applied to CCA, ArtCenter, CalArts, UCLA, Otis, and Columbia for mostly Photo (and studio where applicable) 

I have interviewed for CCA, ArtCentre, CalArts and Columbia (All interview went well)

I have been searching, Is there anyone who applied to UCLA Photo that has heard back! Starting to get worried ?

Hey there! Can I ask how/when you received the unofficial acceptance from CCA? 

Congrats on that and your interviews and good luck on the ones you're waiting on!

48 minutes ago, PhotoMFAer said:

Hey Y'all, 

I also have not heard from UCLA photo assuming it’s a reject but who knows ?

37 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

Hey there! Can I ask how/when you received the unofficial acceptance from CCA? 

Congrats on that and your interviews and good luck on the ones you're waiting on!

Hey! Thank you! I interviewed for CCA on the 18th of Feb and at the end of the interview, my interviewer told me I was in and I should be receiving my letter in march. That's why I called it unofficial lol. 

6 minutes ago, RyanV said:

I also have not heard from UCLA photo assuming it’s a reject but who knows ?

Have you seen anything on anyone who heard back from UCLA Photo (rejection, interview...anything)? I have seen for other areas but not Photo so i'm hoping photo is just a bit slow ?‍♀️? 

1 minute ago, PhotoMFAer said:

Have you seen anything on anyone who heard back from UCLA Photo (rejection, interview...anything)? I have seen for other areas but not Photo so i'm hoping photo is just a bit slow ?‍♀️? 

No I haven’t seen anything, they did just open up new labs I think so maybe busy?

9 minutes ago, PhotoMFAer said:

Hey! Thank you! I interviewed for CCA on the 18th of Feb and at the end of the interview, my interviewer told me I was in and I should be receiving my letter in march. That's why I called it unofficial lol. 

Oh dang, that's exciting! I had a really positive interview experience, but not quite that positive, haha. 

Is there anyone who did an interview with CMU or Rutgers? 

In my interview with one of the universities in Chicago (interdisciplinary practice), I got questions like

-Why do you want to go to the MFA program 'now'

-Explain the direction of my art practice

-What kinds of expectations I have (regarding MFA academia)

-Tell me the making process of one of my artworks in portfolio

1 hour ago, ORRI said:

In my interview with one of the universities in Chicago (interdisciplinary practice), I got questions like

Rutgers interviews are happening this coming week. 

10 hours ago, ORRI said:

I'm interviewing today with cmu.

I think I'm the only one on here applying to boston university (painting and sculpture) so far on the forum, but to anyone else just reading our posts.. the sculpture department said they are meeting this Wednesday to discuss finalists-- and last year both painting and sculpture decisions came out on 3/8.