2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

Just received an email telling me that I was admitted to GWU (comparative politics)! This is my second cycle (got waitlisted by 2 programs last year) so I am beyond happy.

I think the reason why GWU's cohort size doesn't seem to change much is that they didn't accept applications last year, though I can be wrong.

Anyway, hope you guys receive some good news soon!

6 minutes ago, beyondborders said:

I'm international law and security. Check your spam! I am pretty sure my portal still says under review as well but I received the news via email. 

Yeah, gmail AI rarely filters emails to spam. no luck. It looks like from existing phd students, GWU recruits lots of security, but few PE...

1 hour ago, DanTheGrad said:

Anyone claiming the Boston University Admit? If so, how/when did you find out? 

Hey!! This is my first post but claiming the second Boston admit! I got an informal email today from the DGS around 5pm et, so happy!! Comparative subfield.

3 minutes ago, Movies_1411 said:

Hey!! This is my first post but claiming the second Boston admit! I got an informal email today from the DGS around 5pm et, so happy!! Comparative subfield.

Congrats on the admit! That is so exciting :)

I saw the BU admit and ran straight to my spam folder to check if I missed something. I guess I just play the waiting game until I get good or bad news. Until then - "No news is good news!"

10 hours ago, Gryffindor50points said:

For UofArizona did you interview for the Political science program or public administration? 

It looks like UofA has a high ratio of international PhD students, as opposed to some other universities. 

Otherwise has anyone tried getting in touch with UCSB, Northwestern or Michigan to find out when they might release decisions? 

Sigh. I can't do this all over again in a year. 

UA only has one doctoral program, which is PhD in Government & Public policy with five concentrations: American politics, Comparative politics, IR, Public policy and management, and Methodology. My concentration is Public policy and management.

Yep. UA has a higher ratio of international PhD students, which might be the reason that I can have an opportunity to get invitation for interview.

Fingers crossed for you!! 

Did most people contact POIs directly during the application process? I didn't reach out personally, my LOR writers knew a lot of my POIs personally, and I thought it would be irritating so I didn't. Should I have? Should I do that for schools where decisions are usually released later?

32 minutes ago, sswimky said:

Did most people contact POIs directly during the application process? I didn't reach out personally, my LOR writers knew a lot of my POIs personally, and I thought it would be irritating so I didn't. Should I have? Should I do that for schools where decisions are usually released later?

I contacted a few of them. Most of the responses I got were extremely generic. Maybe I contacted them very late, which could be a reason for the generic responses. At the end of the day, I don't think it would have mattered as much. Most DGS's I emailed said that, while I was free to contact potential supervisors, admission decisions were taken by the committee as a whole, and the pairing with supervisors would happen much later (after completion of coursework). 

13 hours ago, modesteffect said:

Yeah, gmail AI rarely filters emails to spam. no luck. It looks like from existing phd students, GWU recruits lots of security, but few PE...

It doesn't seem like they have been getting back to people in any specific order so hopefully you hear good news from them soon!

& thank you! (forgot to say this in my last reply)

13 hours ago, modesteffect said:

I'm also still waiting on GWU. No email, no change in portal. I'm American Politics though, so perhaps they're doing it by concentration?

1 hour ago, Quriosity said:

I'm also still waiting on GWU. No email, no change in portal. I'm American Politics though, so perhaps they're doing it by concentration?

possibly. GWU is a bit tricky, tho not ranked high, it's geographically close to DC, which leads to lots of policy-oriented folks applying.

3 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

possibly. GWU is a bit tricky, tho not ranked high, it's geographically close to DC, which leads to lots of policy-oriented folks applying.

True--fingers crossed, 6 weeks from the app deadline is tomorrow, so we won't have to wait too long, even though it feels like forever!

Also was just perusing Duke's grad website, and they have statistics out for 21-22 application, admission, and matriculation rates. Have they send out their decisions already? I didn't see any on here but maybe they have been notifying people?1978264608_ScreenShot2022-01-25at11_02_44AM.thumb.png.46ce21de27009ccd6b320ee3a8b3335e.png

7 minutes ago, sswimky said:

Also was just perusing Duke's grad website, and they have statistics out for 21-22 application, admission, and matriculation rates. Have they send out their decisions already? I didn't see any on here but maybe they have been notifying people?1978264608_ScreenShot2022-01-25at11_02_44AM.thumb.png.46ce21de27009ccd6b320ee3a8b3335e.png

I did not apply to Duke but they seem to be interviewing some people (mostly theorists), so file reviews must be at an advanced stage. It's weird that they present a number of matriculated students though, they shouldn't know how many acceptances they'll have before April 15th.

12 minutes ago, sswimky said:

this is for last year, this year is 22-23

12 minutes ago, LatinAmericanFootball said:

I did not apply to Duke but they seem to be interviewing some people (mostly theorists), so file reviews must be at an advanced stage. It's weird that they present a number of matriculated students though, they shouldn't know how many acceptances they'll have before April 15th.

Ugh yeah I saw that Duke's doing interviews and I'm kind of sweating that I didn't get one. I'm in American though so maybe they're not taking a lot of us this year.

I'm mostly just scared I'm going to rejected from every place I applied. The closer we get to hearing back the more I worry about it!!

1 hour ago, sswimky said:

Ugh yeah I saw that Duke's doing interviews and I'm kind of sweating that I didn't get one. I'm in American though so maybe they're not taking a lot of us this year.

I'm mostly just scared I'm going to rejected from every place I applied. The closer we get to hearing back the more I worry about it!!

I'm afraid that's just how this waiting game works. The longer the wait the more we worry but in the end - we only need one! Here's to hoping and the right one coming along...

I received an email from Boston University placing me on the waitlist. A little bummed that it is not a straight-up admit, but I STILL HAVE A CHANCE!!!! :)

That said, I know we are all waiting for more offers to come in before making any decisions. Still, if/when you decide you aren't attending BU (or ANY program), please let the program know ASAP so those of us on waitlists have the opportunity to join some fantastic programs.