2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

Rejected from Boston College... Not really surprised but still really hurts. Starting to get really hard to stay hopeful.

I hate thinking this way but I am really hoping someone who has multiple offers will turn down their offer from BU so I have the chance to get off the waitlist. 

Wishing everyone nothing but the best. I will keep trying to stay optimistic as we start to hear more. 

1 hour ago, Gryffindor50points said:

God, i feel the same way too. 

i got a waitlist from a school i was led to beleive im already into. I had 3 meetings with 3 different professors, who all expressed alot of interest in my research agenda and that they could all be a right fit for advisors. I was already at a stage where the lead graduate director was trying to convince me of the appeal of the city and to try to bump their program to the top of my list. I was so excited tbh because the chemistry was so right. Suddenly i was waitlisted there and rejected from uofchicago and referred to the cir program. God, i dont need a third masters, i just want to do my research. (Yes im the person who ranted about that earlier on the results submission ?)

im already a research fellow at two thinks tanks, and a contributor at an ir magazine while balancing my corporate job. 

all my mental energy is going into not thinking: what am i doing wrong??

This is tough, I'm so sorry! But sometimes you have to keep in mind that famous quote: "It's not you, it's them" (and as cheesy as it sounds, it is commonly true tough)

Hopefully you're gonna hear some good news soon!

9 hours ago, DanTheGrad said:

Update from UMD - College Park
____
Greetings [DanTheGrad],

Thank you for your email and interest in our Ph.D. program. Our committee expects to have decisions by mid-February; however, that timeline is subject to change. Our goal is to admit the applicants we believe will be successful in the program. 

We strive for an entering class of 9- 10 students. The number we admit varies from year to year based on a variety of factors. Note that the number of applications and the acceptance rates also vary by subfield. We offer most incoming Ph.D. students a competitive five-year funding package that includes tuition remission and benefits. The most outstanding applications are also eligible for University-wide fellowships and/or summer fellowships. Students can also apply for funds to support their research through the individual subfields.

You can learn more about our admissions process and other FAQs here: https://gvpt.umd.edu/landingtopic/graduate-admissions.

Best, 
Elaine Rudder

____
Good luck, everyone!

Thanks for your effort. 
A couple of years ago, one dude senior to me in my MA school received a really shabby amount of stipend (16k-ish), making him have to do many side jobs to maintain his life in Maryland! It sounds like good news that UMD is trying to raise its funding package to a competitive level!  

15 minutes ago, sbidyanta said:

Morning everyone!! Hope you're all doing well. Yale and UNC acceptances have come on the results page, anyone claiming those? 

Yale... last year somebody claimed acceptance Feb 6 and the real answers came only Feb 22. So maybe a troll, maybe not. Who knows hehehe

Edited by Dickinson
minor correction

14 minutes ago, Avocado_town said:

It seem way too early for Yale, but let's see what happens.

And of course, congrats to all those accepted!

One of them is definitely a troll (easy to say which one), but the others seems... normal. I hope someone claims one of those here. 

3 minutes ago, CapTipps said:

I mean... 69k????? ?

Totally missed that one lmao! I was thinking it was the "dirtbag left" one, but now that you point it out, I think they are all troll.

Edit - the third acceptance has GPA 3.69 - also a troll most likely.

To all the trolls, please go back to PSR!

Edited by sbidyanta

Yeah with everybody making a hullabaloo about Princeton upping their stipend to 46k or whatever, I just don't believe that Yale 69k figure...among other reasons.

Edited by jjiffy

Just now, bmo103 said:

Totally unrelated, but you're having a hell of a cycle - congrats!!

Thanks! About Yale-I was saying that perhaps if no one claims rejection by the end of the day then the acceptances are probably trolls (since they came out together last year). 

1 hour ago, sbidyanta said:

Totally missed that one lmao! I was thinking it was the "dirtbag left" one, but now that you point it out, I think they are all troll.

Edit - the third acceptance has GPA 3.69 - also a troll most likely.

To all the trolls, please go back to PSR!

So can we conclude that Yale has not released results yet? Last year some Yale acceptances were posted on early Feburary but most of the results, both acceptances and rejections came together on Feb 22. So are those early acceptances trolls? Or it's the way Yale releases results: first some early acceptance and than the rest of the results...

1 hour ago, PolishPhD said:

Just out of curiosity, did you receive any updates from UCI? 

All UCI said was that all decisions will be sent out by April 15th, BUT there campus visit is usually beginning of March. 

2 minutes ago, PoliCommsGirl said:

I just don't get this trolling thing like who has the time and what is even the benefit!

It riles people up on the forum. Last time, when the Berkeley troll was operating on the results page, we were all super anxious. I really thought the acceptances were out cuz there were like 7 or 8 really believable claims by the end.