NDSEG 2021-2022

confessionsofaphysicsgeek

Reposting some links from 20-21 thread that I found useful:

Previous successful, unsuccessful applications:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ut7fWlFrpmuyZOaqsca_-zxcPE2KSub-?usp=sharing

Last year's tracker of 'application updates' and whether people who got them received the fellowship

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qBzKN6fLLH11WsgaoQnfcC4aECeBOOXvc8FTxhs9qfc/edit?usp=sharing 

Otherwise-- time to play the waiting game :')

Just submitted mine! After reading the threads from previous years I think I reviewed it 8 times to make sure I had everything entered correctly and my uploads weren't messed up somehow.

Good luck everyone and see you in the spring!

• 2 months later...

Hello friends, I also submitted an application for the 2022 program cycle under biosciences. I'm getting pretty antsy, but I guess no news is good news. Application reviewers from my university said I had made a good "novel fit" case for my application, since my research focus is nothing like what NDSEG typically funds. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, cellbiogal said:

I logged into the fellowship portal today and my status has changed to STATUS: 2nd Round Reviews - DoD Panel

Anyone else seeing changes?

No changes for me. Only see that under Activity tab, my application was moved to stage "Subject Matter Experts Panel Review" in November, on the day it was submitted. Is this how you check the status?

Anyway, that is a very positive sign. Many congratulations!!!

12 minutes ago, T.ranno.saur said:

No changes for me. Only see that under Activity tab, my application was moved to stage "Subject Matter Experts Panel Review" in November, on the day it was submitted. Is this how you check the status?

Anyway, that is a very positive sign. Many congratulations!!!

Thanks!!  I'm trying not to let my hopes get too high, I'm sure there's a couple more levels of evaluation to go!

Here's a screenshot of what I see when I first log in. I think before this update it still read "Subject Matter Experts Panel Review"

Screen Shot.jpg

12 minutes ago, cellbiogal said:

Thanks!!  I'm trying not to let my hopes get too high, I'm sure there's a couple more levels of evaluation to go!

Here's a screenshot of what I see when I first log in. I think before this update it still read "Subject Matter Experts Panel Review"

Screen Shot.jpg

Nice! and thanks for the screenshot. Mine has no update (ARO branch), just says Submitted, so you are one step closer! If you don't mind me asking, what branch did you apply for?

image.png.3c5fc5debd8d786fcb22a11d5b6b11ce.png

Edited by T.ranno.saur

5 hours ago, cellbiogal said:

I logged into the fellowship portal today and my status has changed to STATUS: 2nd Round Reviews - DoD Panel

Anyone else seeing changes?

I have the same update! Though I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing... in past years it seemed to indicate that your application was rejected at that round (though in that year they only updated the status on the day everything was released). I'm going to shoot an email to NDSEG people to ask -- will update this post with what they say.

4 hours ago, ryanleh said:

I have the same update! Though I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing... in past years it seemed to indicate that your application was rejected at that round (though in that year they only updated the status on the day everything was released). I'm going to shoot an email to NDSEG people to ask -- will update this post with what they say.

That's definitely a possibility! But based on the timelines laid out in this email we got, I would assume it means we made it to the DoD evaluation stage. From here, some folks who made it to this stage will be awarded fellowships and others will not. Interested to hear what they say when you email though!

1271086294_ScreenShot2022-02-01at5_19_02PM.jpg.2b261aa176a229070cefe6e9be13d1d4.jpg

Edited by cellbiogal

On 2/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, ryanleh said:

Perhaps... in years past, they just masked all progress, whereas this year we can see progress. So perhaps, if the phase doesn't change, then it signals that it hasn't been sent forward (but it still could either be sent forward or stay at that phase up and until all final results are finally released) .... whereas if the phase changes, at least this early, it signals that it has progressed to a later phase. However, that the phase has updated, doesn't imply it has been rejected, because it could still update again before the final decisions come out. At any rate, it seems it would be early to reject at the DOD phase given that DOD review is to happen in March. 

What strikes me, is that the update happened at the end of January to "phase 2" instead of happening at the end of Feb according to the schedule posted above. 

@ryanleh Have you heard back from your e-mail? I think I found sometimes I needed to follow up once or multiple times to get a response... 

Ya, agreed with both of you @cellbiogal and @neural_tomas that it seems unlikely that it means an early rejection... *crosses fingers*

1 hour ago, neural_tomas said:

@ryanleh Have you heard back from your e-mail? I think I found sometimes I needed to follow up once or multiple times to get a response... 

No, I never heard back. I just sent another email :)

Edited by ryanleh

Just got a response!

> Good Morning,
> Your application has advanced to the second round of reviews. We
> should receive the list of awardees from DoD either the last week
> of March or the first week of April. We will provide an update to ALL
> applicants once the list of awardees has been provided by DoD.

Edited by ryanleh

10 hours ago, ryanleh said:

Just got a response!

> Good Morning,
> Your application has advanced to the second round of reviews. We
> should receive the list of awardees from DoD either the last week
> of March or the first week of April. We will provide an update to ALL
> applicants once the list of awardees has been provided by DoD.

Thanks for reaching out! The extra e-mail seemed to do the trick ; ) + congrats too! 

Just now, mikefromnj said:

ugghh damn, if it was only me I still had hope to hold on to.. Good luck to us I guess 

idk, could be possible that they are working through the applications and have not made decisions on all yet. To some extent I imagine that when they are viewed adnd ecided on depends on the subject matter of your prop. 

The original email said that the subject matter review would be in February with DoD review in March, so it's totally possible they aren't through all the applications yet since it's only mid february.

Either that or they have definitely decided ours are out of the running. Who knows!  Either way I think it's worth holding out some hope until March at least. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 12:19 PM, ghostcat312 said:

@ryanleh What field did you apply under? IIRC, last year NDSEG updates was varying between department/fields

@ghostcat312 Woops sorry I missed this somehow. I applied to AFOSR for applied cryptography (specific BAA was Information Assurance/Cybersecurity) ?