SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2022-2023

Mrazy

3 minutes ago, academicfornow said:

Okay, I'll bite! Wednesday 11:45am CST. Hopefully msfinley is right, though! 

Also -- did anyone else get a survey link this morning? I thought it was pretty bold of them to send me this today, while I painfully await results!!! 

"We are contacting you because you applied for a scholarship from a federal granting agency or have been supported through an agency grant to a researcher. We are evaluating agency funding for graduate students and your perspective is important. Please provide your input by responding to our survey. This survey is being conducted by Circum Network Inc. on behalf of the granting agencies."

30 minutes ago, academicfornow said:

Also -- did anyone else get a survey link this morning? I thought it was pretty bold of them to send me this today, while I painfully await results!!! 

"We are contacting you because you applied for a scholarship from a federal granting agency or have been supported through an agency grant to a researcher. We are evaluating agency funding for graduate students and your perspective is important. Please provide your input by responding to our survey. This survey is being conducted by Circum Network Inc. on behalf of the granting agencies."

I got that a few days ago! The 5 second interlude where my heart leapt into my throat seeing an email from SSHRC and then sunk back into my chest when I realized it was a survey did wonders for my cortisol levels.

32 minutes ago, academicfornow said:

I got the survey email late last night! I also thought it was interesting haha. I haven't started it yet, but if there's a way to discuss result communication, I'll jot down that a specific day to release results would be appreciated. Weeks on edge is not ideal. 

1 hour ago, Mrazy said:

I got the survey email late last night! I also thought it was interesting haha. I haven't started it yet, but if there's a way to discuss result communication, I'll jot down that a specific day to release results would be appreciated. Weeks on edge is not ideal. 

I got it too. It's a very long survey!

Question for people who have received awards in the past: 

Do they inform you of your application status in the email itself? Or do you have to log on to find out?

1 minute ago, HannahH said:

Do they inform you of your application status in the email itself? Or do you have to log on to find out?

From my experience the email just states that your results are available on whichever platform but doesn't say whether you've been successful or not. For the Vanier, I got an email saying my results are available on ResearchNet, and then when I logged in I saw two documents, the notice of decision letter and the results letter. I'm pretty sure that was also the case with the CGS Master's.

5 minutes ago, lilmiss90 said:

From my experience the email just states that your results are available on whichever platform but doesn't say whether you've been successful or not. For the Vanier, I got an email saying my results are available on ResearchNet, and then when I logged in I saw two documents, the notice of decision letter and the results letter. I'm pretty sure that was also the case with the CGS Master's.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I just checked the CGS Master's and yeah, the email just said to check the research portal and didn't have any info about the status of the application. I logged onto the MA application portal just now and I do see that on the welcome page it shows my application and then under status it says 'accepted.' For the Vanier it didn't say anything about whether I was successful or not until I actually opened the decision and results letters and I remember that being super nerve-racking.

40 minutes ago, HannahH said:

This is what happened last year, and I'm fairly certain it will be the same this year: The Extranet portal is a single webpage with uploaded documents. You'll get an email saying your results have been posted, but you'll need to go to the portal to see the results. They uploaded three documents last time: the results letter, the notice of decision, and the selection procedures. Your result will be shown on both the letter and the notice (the notice will have stats on how many people applied, your exact score, etc). 

13 minutes ago, Mrazy said:

This is what happened last year, and I'm fairly certain it will be the same this year: The Extranet portal is a single webpage with uploaded documents. You'll get an email saying your results have been posted, but you'll need to go to the portal to see the results. They uploaded three documents last time: the results letter, the notice of decision, and the selection procedures. Your result will be shown on both the letter and the notice (the notice will have stats on how many people applied, your exact score, etc). 

I really appreciate these details given that I'll be in a state of panic as soon as I receive the Extranet email. Thank you! And while I'm here, thanks to everyone for all the support and solidarity these last few weeks. It's really meaningful to have found some community in this super niche stressful time!

8 minutes ago, lilmiss90 said:

I think my panic and high levels of anxiety have shifted to despondency today. The stages of grief of the SSHRC funding process.

I'm still having such a hard time focusing on my writing. I know it won't do anything but I find myself refreshing e-mail every 30 minutes. It's not a good feeling.. 

1 minute ago, academicfornow said:

I'm still having such a hard time focusing on my writing. I know it won't do anything but I find myself refreshing e-mail every 30 minutes. It's not a good feeling.. 

Me too. This is SO ridiculous because evidently I'm not going to get an email from SSHRC at like 3 am but I keep waking up every half hour or so to check my phone.

Also, I thought this terrible process was just one of the quirks of academia you have to get used to over time, but in talking with international colleagues and collaborating with them on SSHRC grant applications I've seen SO much confusion and irritation with the system on their part. Why is there no set date when results are announced?? Why is it that we're in the year 2022 but it's so difficult for them to release emails or results at once?? Why is there seemingly no rhyme or reason to situations where your application might score higher the year prior and then the next year when you have more publications and presentations and research experience your score plummets?? Why is it often the same groups of people on these review committees?? Why is there so little funding available?? Why are there a million different websites and platforms to submit applications (ResearchNet, Research Portal, the really glitchy 'web based forms') when they're all going to the same funding agency?? I know I'm just ranting now but so many questions...

1 hour ago, lilmiss90 said:

Me too. This is SO ridiculous because evidently I'm not going to get an email from SSHRC at like 3 am but I keep waking up every half hour or so to check my phone.

Also, I thought this terrible process was just one of the quirks of academia you have to get used to over time, but in talking with international colleagues and collaborating with them on SSHRC grant applications I've seen SO much confusion and irritation with the system on their part. Why is there no set date when results are announced?? Why is it that we're in the year 2022 but it's so difficult for them to release emails or results at once?? Why is there seemingly no rhyme or reason to situations where your application might score higher the year prior and then the next year when you have more publications and presentations and research experience your score plummets?? Why is it often the same groups of people on these review committees?? Why is there so little funding available?? Why are there a million different websites and platforms to submit applications (ResearchNet, Research Portal, the really glitchy 'web based forms') when they're all going to the same funding agency?? I know I'm just ranting now but so many questions...

Thank you for voicing this! I share the exact frustrations. At least we know that by the end of this week we will all have some closure.

3 hours ago, lilmiss90 said:

I'm applying to hold internationally too, and I've also appreciated the outside perspective reaction to SSHRC. All the issues you reference above, but I also had a 'funny' interaction with the research office at my prospective school: as he was reviewing the fellowship details to make sure there'd be no issues with me holding SSHRC at the uni he saw the funding sum and said "$45,000? You know that's not equivalent to full time funding, right?" Because here postdocs generally speaking start at $90k. Like, yes Mr Research Officer Man, I am aware Canadian postdocs are exploited, but I still want the fellowship ?

Nothing like some honest international perspective. I think at home everyone is so used to SSHRC that while we complain we don't really expect anything different.

22 minutes ago, Beals said:

I'm applying to hold internationally too, and I've also appreciated the outside perspective reaction to SSHRC. All the issues you reference above, but I also had a 'funny' interaction with the research office at my prospective school: as he was reviewing the fellowship details to make sure there'd be no issues with me holding SSHRC at the uni he saw the funding sum and said "$45,000? You know that's not equivalent to full time funding, right?" Because here postdocs generally speaking start at $90k. Like, yes Mr Research Officer Man, I am aware Canadian postdocs are exploited, but I still want the fellowship ?

Nothing like some honest international perspective. I think at home everyone is so used to SSHRC that while we complain we don't really expect anything different.

Yeah... if by some miracle my application is successful I'd be choosing between a 2 year teaching post in the US (48k USD/year) and the sshrc post-doc at 45k/year CAD, which is significantly less. I'd go for the latter for the prestige, networks, and research time it would give me, but my (non-academic, salaried) partner had some definite trouble understanding why! 

7 minutes ago, academicfornow said:

Yeah... if by some miracle my application is successful I'd be choosing between a 2 year teaching post in the US (48k USD/year) and the sshrc post-doc at 45k/year CAD, which is significantly less. I'd go for the latter for the prestige, networks, and research time it would give me, but my (non-academic, salaried) partner had some definite trouble understanding why! 

This!! If (also by a miracle from the fickle SSHRC gods) my application is successful I'd be choosing the SSHRC postdoc over a much better paying opportunity for the prestige, networking, and time for both research and publishing. My bank account is not happy with my heart, though. 

I was explaining the postdoc to a non-academic friend and they thought that SSHRC was a small university program based on the low funding. I had to be like "nope...it's actually one of Canada's most prestigious funding opportunities for the humanities and social sciences..." 

I definitely agree that the pay should be higher, but I believe it is minimally taxed, and to be fair in a Canada that makes a big difference in terms of net income. A 45k/yr govt fellowship is like getting 60k or so gross from a private employer, depending what province you’re in. I’ve seen other postdocs here in Quebec that are 45k, but are administered by a private university that taxes it as standard income, deducts for benefits, etc. That’s a pretty sour deal for sure.

2 hours ago, Svaaron said:

I definitely agree that the pay should be higher, but I believe it is minimally taxed, and to be fair in a Canada that makes a big difference in terms of net income. A 45k/yr govt fellowship is like getting 60k or so gross from a private employer, depending what province you’re in. I’ve seen other postdocs here in Quebec that are 45k, but are administered by a private university that taxes it as standard income, deducts for benefits, etc. That’s a pretty sour deal for sure.

Yes, those are certainly factors to consider!

I had been under the impression SSHRC postdocs are taxable at the regular rate, unlike SSHRC doctoral scholarships (see the 'value and duration' section: https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/fellowships/postdoctoral-postdoctorale-eng.aspx ). For folks in Ontario their after-tax take home pay would be just over $33,000, though as you mention folks in other provinces with a lower tax rate will see a higher amount.

However - I just did some digging and I saw a McGill webpage saying SSHRC postdoc tax info is included on a T4A.... within which income is generally considered non-taxable (that's where my non-taxable SSHRC CGS is listed anyway)???

Svaaron, if its true that award holders take home the entirety with no tax deductions you have just made my day!! :D

Edited to say: feel like I can't get too excited about this fact since I've still only got a shot in hell of getting the award. Stay humble, Beals!!!

Edited by Beals
hubris

11 minutes ago, Beals said:

I had been under the impression SSHRC postdocs are taxable at the regular rate, unlike SSHRC doctoral scholarships (see the 'value and duration' section: https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/fellowships/postdoctoral-postdoctorale-eng.aspx ). For folks in Ontario their after-tax take home pay would be just over $33,000, though as you mention folks in other provinces with a lower tax rate will see a higher amount.

However - I just did some digging and I saw a McGill webpage saying SSHRC postdoc tax info is included on a T4A.... within which income is generally considered non-taxable (that's where my non-taxable SSHRC CGS is listed anyway)???

Svaaron, if its true that award holders take home the entirety with no tax deductions you have just made my day!! :D

Edited to say: feel like I can't get too excited about this fact since I've still only got a shot in hell of getting the award. Stay humble, Beals!!!

I was working under the impression it was taxable income (someone who had the SSHRC postdoc mentioned that to me) but if it is on a T4A and isn't taxed like normal income, 45k sounds a lot better. (I also still have a give or take 20% chance of being successful, but still nice to think about taxes rather than if I'll get the SSHRC or not lol). 

7 hours ago, Beals said:

Admittedly I don’t have much more detailed info than you’ve got about this, and my picture of it is still fuzzy. I wish this stuff were more transparent! My hunch is that if it is taxed, it’s just at the provincial level, since it’s money from the federal govt that is already derived from taxes? I’m not sure. Any economics fellowship applicants out there? ?

Anyways, I hope I’ve not given any misleading information or false hope!

To all those wondering about how postdoc fellowships are taxed - If you hold your award in Canada, postdoctoral fellowships are considered taxable income for Federal income taxes only, and not for Provincial income taxes (so if you are in Quebec, you only pay one tax, the Federal income tax). Some funding agencies do not deduce those taxes from your funding (this is how it words for Quebec provincial postdoc awards like FRQSC; they give you one lump sum of 15k every 4 months and you have to manage it, including putting money aside for taxes; SSHRC awards will now be paid through the host institution, so it may be different going forward for SSHRC, but typically you are not taxed at source with external awards). 

Everyone I know (including myself) who held a postdoc external award in Quebec/Canada had to put a certain percentage of their award aside throughout the year and make sure they had enough money to pay their Federal income taxes every spring. So externally funded postdocs in Canada pay Federal income taxes to Canada (Canada considers you an employee), but we do not pay Provincial income taxes (Quebec, for instance, considers you a student, so no taxes). I hope this helps, it was struggle for me to figure out too at the beginning of my postdoc; note that I am not sure how it works if you hold your award outside of Canada, though.

6 minutes ago, MicheLo said:

To all those wondering about how postdoc fellowships are taxed - If you hold your award in Canada, postdoctoral fellowships are considered taxable income for Federal income taxes only, and not for Provincial income taxes (so if you are in Quebec, you only pay one tax, the Federal income tax). Some funding agencies do not deduce those taxes from your funding (this is how it words for Quebec provincial postdoc awards like FRQSC; they give you one lump sum of 15k every 4 months and you have to manage it, including putting money aside for taxes; SSHRC awards will now be paid through the host institution, so it may be different going forward for SSHRC, but typically you are not taxed at source with external awards). 

Everyone I know (including myself) who held a postdoc external award in Quebec/Canada had to put a certain percentage of their award aside throughout the year and make sure they had enough money to pay their Federal income taxes every spring. So externally funded postdocs in Canada pay Federal income taxes to Canada (Canada considers you an employee), but we do not pay Provincial income taxes (Quebec, for instance, considers you a student, so no taxes). I hope this helps, it was struggle for me to figure out too at the beginning of my postdoc; note that I am not sure how it works if you hold your award outside of Canada, though.

Wow! Thank you for all of this detail. Very good to know!