SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2022-2023

Mrazy

On 2/11/2022 at 1:18 PM, Mrazy said:

We're two weeks away from results, give or take. I'm definitely feeling the excitement and anxiety come in waves! I have my fingers crossed for everyone. And regardless of the results, it's been nice chatting with you all! 

For those finishing up their programs, what stage are you at? I have a mature draft of my dissertation, and am in the (hopefully) last round of edits before I submit to my full committee. I'm hoping to defend in early April, submit my final dissertation by the end of April, and graduate in the fall. *knock on wood* 

Now that we've passed the halfway point in February my nerves are really ramping up! 

I have a draft of most of my dissertation chapters, my supervisor has seen about half of them. I am aiming to have a polished draft to submit to my full committee in the spring, maybe May 1, and hope to defend sometime in Autumn. I don't remember exactly when I said I would aim to start the postdoc but I'm pretty sure it was September. I doubt I'll be done by then, does anyone know if that's a problem? I think we have until the end of December to start, right?

2 hours ago, HeatherCT said:

I don't remember exactly when I said I would aim to start the postdoc but I'm pretty sure it was September. I doubt I'll be done by then, does anyone know if that's a problem? I think we have until the end of December to start, right?

Hi HeatherCT, 

You can request a change of start date for the first day of any month - the award holder's guide has January as the last month - I think we need to have our dissertation/PhD defended by December 2022 at the latest! 

25 minutes ago, academicfornow said:

Hi folks! Sending some solidarity to those waiting... it would be great to find out soon, hopefully we all hear back next week! 

Thank you! Yes, hopefully we'll hear results sometime next week. I saw on last year's forum that a preemptive email was sent the Friday before results were released. Will be watching my inbox on Friday! 

So nervous to know the result and trying to stay cautiously optimistic. It's been a tough year so far in terms of rejections so hoping something will work out. 

Does anyone know if we are awarded, how long we have to make a decision to accept and choose our start dates? I ask because I have some other things I applied to that I won't hear back from until end of April that would be considerably more money. 

On 2/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, Hopingforthebest2022 said:

Does anyone know if we are awarded, how long we have to make a decision to accept and choose our start dates? I ask because I have some other things I applied to that I won't hear back from until end of April that would be considerably more money. 

I imagine the turnaround time to accept the award is somewhat short (before end of April). However, I know you can accept the award and then reject it before starting with no issue (and maybe your award would then be given to the next person down the list - I think? If this operates like a SSHRC doctoral award? Anyone know?). I am basing this off a personal anecdote of a friend who won a SSHRC postdoc, accepted, and then several months later got a TT job and thus rescinded her acceptance of the postdoc. She had no issues doing this, and I assume it's a fairly common occurrence as the folks who are competitive for a postdoc are often the same folks who are competitive on the job market.

I'm not sure what the protocol is for those who start the award but then quit part way through. I assume this is common as well (scenario: someone accepts a 2 year SSHRC postdoc, starts it in November, but gets a TT job that starts the following July and thus only actually holds the postdoc for 8 months). Don't know what the funding repercussions of that are though (does the unused funding $ go back into the pot to open up another postdoc? Seems unlikely since the number of people awarded does not vary from year to year).

4 hours ago, Beals said:

I imagine the turnaround time to accept the award is somewhat short (before end of April). However, I know you can accept the award and then reject it before starting with no issue (and maybe your award would then be given to the next person down the list - I think? If this operates like a SSHRC doctoral award? Anyone know?). I am basing this off a personal anecdote of a friend who won a SSHRC postdoc, accepted, and then several months later got a TT job and thus rescinded her acceptance of the postdoc. She had no issues doing this, and I assume it's a fairly common occurrence as the folks who are competitive for a postdoc are often the same folks who are competitive on the job market.

I'm not sure what the protocol is for those who start the award but then quit part way through. I assume this is common as well (scenario: someone accepts a 2 year SSHRC postdoc, starts it in November, but gets a TT job that starts the following July and thus only actually holds the postdoc for 8 months). Don't know what the funding repercussions of that are though (does the unused funding $ go back into the pot to open up another postdoc? Seems unlikely since the number of people awarded does not vary from year to year).

Thank you! This is very helpful ?

On 2/16/2022 at 9:32 PM, Amanda.A said:

I saw on last year's forum that a preemptive email was sent the Friday before results were released. Will be watching my inbox on Friday! 

Yes! They sent out an email last year a few days before results were posted. I didn't receive any emails last week (did anyone?). I'm assuming the results will be posted this week, or next Monday at the latest. 

Last year they also posted the results at different times (alphabetically I think). Although officially the results were posted on February 25th, mine were posted on the 23rd and others had their results earlier. I've been checking the extranet! 

4 minutes ago, Mrazy said:

I didn't receive any emails last week (did anyone?). I'm assuming the results will be posted this week, or next Monday at the latest. 

I didn't receive an e-mail either, so I am glad I am not the only one. Here's hoping we hear this week!

31 minutes ago, Mrazy said:

Yes! They sent out an email last year a few days before results were posted. I didn't receive any emails last week (did anyone?). I'm assuming the results will be posted this week, or next Monday at the latest. 

Last year they also posted the results at different times (alphabetically I think). Although officially the results were posted on February 25th, mine were posted on the 23rd and others had their results earlier. I've been checking the extranet! 

Is there a way to see the extranet if it's your first time applying? I keep refreshing my email over and over, so being able to check the extranet will give me something else to refresh nonstop lol.

15 minutes ago, lilmiss90 said:

Is there a way to see the extranet if it's your first time applying? I keep refreshing my email over and over, so being able to check the extranet will give me something else to refresh nonstop lol.

Here is the Extranet URL: https://influence.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/_Layouts/CASD.CustomLogin/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f700000%2f_layouts%2fAuthenticate.aspx%3fSource%3d%2F700000%2Fdefault%2Easpx&Source=%2f700000%2fdefault.aspx

I had my account already set up because I had a SSHRC doctoral fellowship. You can try your account that you used for the application portal, but if that doesn't work, email sheldon.forgette@nserc-crsng.gc.ca. They look after Extranet accounts and can help you log in! Whenever we get the email before the results are posted will help too. I think they had instructions on how to set up your account on the preliminary email last year. 

Thank you so much! I tried entering my email but it says I don't have an associated account, but I had a Vanier for my PhD and I think that application was through a different website/platform so that might be why. I did get an email with my application number but nothing else, so it looks like I'll just have to wait. Here's to hoping results are released asap!! Of all the applications I've done throughout grad school for admissions/funding I think this is the one I've been most nervous for.

11 minutes ago, academicfornow said:

I'm in the same boat -- no extranet account. I really hope they don't make us wait until Monday!! 

I really hope not, too! Another weekend without results would be so challenging.  

2 hours ago, Mrazy said:

Here is the Extranet URL: https://influence.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/_Layouts/CASD.CustomLogin/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f700000%2f_layouts%2fAuthenticate.aspx%3fSource%3d%2F700000%2Fdefault%2Easpx&Source=%2f700000%2fdefault.aspx

I had my account already set up because I had a SSHRC doctoral fellowship. You can try your account that you used for the application portal, but if that doesn't work, email sheldon.forgette@nserc-crsng.gc.ca. They look after Extranet accounts and can help you log in! Whenever we get the email before the results are posted will help too. I think they had instructions on how to set up your account on the preliminary email last year. 

Thanks for sharing! I have not received an email from SSHRC. Also, thank you for all of the information about how results were uploaded last year. Hopefully they'll be uploaded Wednesday to Friday this year as well. 

The waiting sure is a challenge! 

4 hours ago, lilmiss90 said:

Of all the applications I've done throughout grad school for admissions/funding I think this is the one I've been most nervous for.

Same! The 20% success rate is daunting at this stage because everyone is basically a superstar. I love my proposed project...it would be amazing to have it funded for two years! 

12 hours ago, Mrazy said:

Same! The 20% success rate is daunting at this stage because everyone is basically a superstar. I love my proposed project...it would be amazing to have it funded for two years! 

Exactly! No one is perfect, but everyone has successes and areas in which they excel. Now the question we're left with is how our successes and weaknesses weigh and compare to others'. Yikes.

My project is also one that is really exciting to me. And oh how I would love to learn from my proposed supervisor for 2 years! 

16 hours ago, Mrazy said:

Agreed. I don't know what it is about today but my nerves have ramped up so much. I'm finding it hard to concentrate and get any work done. I hope they put us out of our misery soon.

4 hours ago, Amanda.A said:

Exactly! No one is perfect, but everyone has successes and areas in which they excel. Now the question we're left with is how our successes and weaknesses weigh and compare to others'. Yikes.

My project is also one that is really exciting to me. And oh how I would love to learn from my proposed supervisor for 2 years! 

Yes! I hope we all hear good news soon.

Hi all! Thanks for all of your insights so far. It's so hard to tell how the results will pan out. Even if we are fairly confident about the strength of our proposals, the SSHRC simply has funding cut-off limits and they will favor applicants who either already have their degree in-hand or are very late-stage (i.e., have submitted, are awaiting defense, etc.). I took a gamble by applying this year because I am submitting my dissertation in September 2022, which is a whole year after the application due date. I selected January 2023 (the latest option available) as my fellowship start date, but now I've kind of resigned to the fact that that's just too late and I won't make the cut. It's frustrating for sure, but in the end it is only fair that people who are ready to go right out of the gate get the money. Academia these days is just so full of "périodes de précarité", as we say over here, and we all have to pay our dues.

Anyone else with experience applying before and after actually having their degree?

2 hours ago, Svaaron said:

Hi all! Thanks for all of your insights so far. It's so hard to tell how the results will pan out. Even if we are fairly confident about the strength of our proposals, the SSHRC simply has funding cut-off limits and they will favor applicants who either already have their degree in-hand or are very late-stage (i.e., have submitted, are awaiting defense, etc.). I took a gamble by applying this year because I am submitting my dissertation in September 2022, which is a whole year after the application due date. I selected January 2023 (the latest option available) as my fellowship start date, but now I've kind of resigned to the fact that that's just too late and I won't make the cut. It's frustrating for sure, but in the end it is only fair that people who are ready to go right out of the gate get the money. Academia these days is just so full of "périodes de précarité", as we say over here, and we all have to pay our dues.

Anyone else with experience applying before and after actually having their degree?

I have loads of experience applying to funding before and after having the degree - for me, it's never really made a difference as to whether I was successful - I submitted my first postdoc funding application to a provincial competition a year and a half before I finished my PhD and it was awarded (even had to defer starting the postdoc funding by 4 months because I submitted my dissertation later than expected; same as you) - I also submitted to SSHRC last year (2.5 years into already funded postdoc and proposed a project that stems from a larger grant on which I am co-applicant), and it wasn't awarded.. so from my experience, it really depends on how your application stacks up to others in your committee - long story short, we are all pretty much in the same boat! Best of luck to you

7 minutes ago, MicheLo said:

I have loads of experience applying to funding before and after having the degree - for me, it's never really made a difference as to whether I was successful - I submitted my first postdoc funding application to a provincial competition a year and a half before I finished my PhD and it was awarded (even had to defer starting the postdoc funding by 4 months because I submitted my dissertation later than expected; same as you) - I also submitted to SSHRC last year (2.5 years into already funded postdoc and proposed a project that stems from a larger grant on which I am co-applicant), and it wasn't awarded.. so from my experience, it really depends on how your application stacks up to others in your committee - long story short, we are all pretty much in the same boat! Best of luck to you

Thanks for sharing this. I'll take a dose a hope where ever I can get it! This year I'm also in the running for the FRQSC postdoc (Quebec provincial), and that news comes in April. So, if this doesn't work out, my fingers stay crossed for the next one. Best to you on your apps!

1 minute ago, Svaaron said:

Thanks for sharing this. I'll take a dose a hope where ever I can get it! This year I'm also in the running for the FRQSC postdoc (Quebec provincial), and that news comes in April. So, if this doesn't work out, my fingers stay crossed for the next one. Best to you on your apps!

FRQSC is the one I got in the 2017 competition (what I currently still hold as they also have a renewal 'mobilization des connaissances' competition that you can apply to during your second year of postdoc to give you an extra year of funding). I applied in September 2017 and indicated on the app that I would start postdoc in Sept 2018, but had to defer to Jan 2019 - I submitted my PhD dissertation November 2018 and defended in January 2019 (btw, for FRQSC, you only have to have submitted your thesis to start your postdoc funding; you can defend after your postdoc funding has already started so long as your defense is within the first 4 or so months - they will even reimburse certain travel expenses if your postdoc is not in the province / country in which you got your PhD and you have to travel back to defend).. food for thought :) 

On 2/21/2022 at 4:32 PM, Amanda.A said:

I really hope not, too! Another weekend without results would be so challenging.  

Thanks for sharing! I have not received an email from SSHRC. Also, thank you for all of the information about how results were uploaded last year. Hopefully they'll be uploaded Wednesday to Friday this year as well. 

The waiting sure is a challenge! 

Any news from anyone with an existing extranet account? 

2 minutes ago, Mrazy said:

No email or any documents uploaded to my SSHRC extranet yet! 

Last year, my news about the Doctoral competition arrived in my inbox at 5:30pm on the Wednesday of results week. Not sure if that's any indication to follow, but maybe that is the earliest it will happen, if it happens today.