SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships & CGS D 2022-2023

VanessaB

I'm a current master's student applying to continue to the PhD at my current school. This week I found out my application was forwarded to the national competition. Now the waiting begins. ? I'd be happy to connect with others who are waiting it out too.

Hi Everyone. 

This is my second time applying at the doctoral level. My application was also forwarded to the national competition.

I emailed my school and asked about my ranking at the institutional level. Apparently I was ranked 8th out of 60. Do you know how much this institutional ranking translates to the final outcome ? Im fairly sure that those ranked in the top 3 at large research universities like McGill are almost guaranteed to end up receiving the grant, but I havent seen much written about this on Gradcafe. Would some ranked 8th have a shot lol ? Im not sure how to read this information. 

Thanks in advance if you know anything. 

• 1 month later...

Hello, third time applicant here, all directly to the SSHRC as I study in the UK.  This is an absolutely insane-making process, but at least since they started releasing the news digitally it is better.  Last year most people found out within one day, which was an improvement over a steady drip of acceptances and denials over several days like the year before.  There is still so little information provided that as it gets closer you will see theories and conspiracies form as other waiting applicants try to read the tea leaves.  Don't let it make you insane!

On 11/27/2021 at 4:36 AM, Sadgraddad said:

Hi Everyone. 

This is my second time applying at the doctoral level. My application was also forwarded to the national competition.

I emailed my school and asked about my ranking at the institutional level. Apparently I was ranked 8th out of 60. Do you know how much this institutional ranking translates to the final outcome ? Im fairly sure that those ranked in the top 3 at large research universities like McGill are almost guaranteed to end up receiving the grant, but I havent seen much written about this on Gradcafe. Would some ranked 8th have a shot lol ? Im not sure how to read this information. 

Thanks in advance if you know anything. 

Hmmm, it's interesting they shared your ranking with you. I don't think the initial ranking matters much, as I thought the initial rankings at the university level are used to determine whose application gets forwarded based on the quota / allocation / cutoff. I could be completely wrong though. I'm a novice to the whole process. At first, I didn't even even know I could apply this year because I'm still finishing my master's program. Preparing a funding application for doctoral studies was a wild ride, especially because I had practicum, coursework, work, and volunteer responsibilities happening at the same time. Ultimately, I'm just pleased I finished the application.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a request this afternoon to enter a Canadian permanent address to be eligible for the doctoral competition. I’m a direct applicant from a US school. So they are at least beginning to sift through the applications.

• 2 weeks later...

Their website says April, but they don’t provide a specific date in April, or at least I couldn’t seem to find one on the website. I’m hoping it’s earlier rather than later in April, as the availability of funding or lack thereof will inform my next big decision. I’ve applied to continue to the PhD program at my school following my master’s degree, but I’m undecided until I know more about the funding situation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm kinda freaking out because my application was forwarded by my institution last December to national SSHRC. I went into my portal this evening to take a look and saw that my CV updates I did hadn't saved, and therefore were my Master's SSHRC CV information (which I've done quite a few things since...like finish my MA and move across the country - the old address was saved on, too). I was wondering if I'm completely screwed on this now and won't get SSHRC. I know I had a super strong proposal and am now worried about this CV issue. I don't know what to do and would really appreciate any guidance anyone may have.

Hi @Day.C, I’m so sorry this happened to you. It sounds super stressful and disheartening. Why don’t you reach out to the SSHRC administrators? I have emailed them before and they do respond in a week or two. Good luck!

Did anyone else’s application disappear in the portal? Mine did. I can only see my web CV now and, under applications, there is nothing. Is this the normal process?

On 3/22/2022 at 10:26 PM, qeta said:

Did anyone else’s application disappear in the portal? Mine did. I can only see my web CV now and, under applications, there is nothing. Is this the normal process?

Mine disappeared in February, or at least that’s when I noticed it. The CV section is still visible to me. It’s my first time applying, as I’m finishing my masters, but from what I’ve read it’s normal.

Edited by VanessaB

On 3/22/2022 at 6:43 PM, Day.C said:

Hi, I'm kinda freaking out because my application was forwarded by my institution last December to national SSHRC. I went into my portal this evening to take a look and saw that my CV updates I did hadn't saved, and therefore were my Master's SSHRC CV information (which I've done quite a few things since...like finish my MA and move across the country - the old address was saved on, too). I was wondering if I'm completely screwed on this now and won't get SSHRC. I know I had a super strong proposal and am now worried about this CV issue. I don't know what to do and would really appreciate any guidance anyone may have.

I’m not sure I’m understanding the problem. The cgs-m application required the CCV and the portal for the cgs-d awards is completely different than the one for cgs-m. It sounds like you think you didn’t update the doctoral portal CV section with all your recent info? I probably wouldn’t stress too much if that’s the case. I’ve read that some applications get viewed for 5-8 mins, and given the scoring criteria, I can’t see that making or breaking an application. Provided that you had to hit the “Verify” button, I’m not sure they could do anything for you at this point. If your application got forwarded then your raters obviously didn’t see an issue and felt you had a strong application. Also, I know that when I finished my application all files were merged into one pdf. I saved that pdf, and so I can see exactly what I submitted. If you saved that pdf document then you should be able to see exactly what you submitted, and you can check what is on the CV section.

Hi all, just sharing the anxiety. I've seen that last year the results only came late April/early May, hoping this doesn't happen again! First time applying here! Good luck everyone!

On 3/30/2022 at 1:52 PM, Ana Lacerda said:

Hi all, just sharing the anxiety. I've seen that last year the results only came late April/early May, hoping this doesn't happen again! First time applying here! Good luck everyone!

It's my first time applying as well. I've read that for some individuals May is the earliest start date, so I'm not sure how that would work if results weren't released until the end of April/early May.

I am also dying to know.  I had no idea that they actually score your application, so I am pretty excited to see the score whether I get the scholarship or not.

On 3/26/2022 at 1:35 AM, VanessaB said:

Mine disappeared in February, or at least that’s when I noticed it. The CV section is still visible to me. It’s my first time applying, as I’m finishing my masters, but from what I’ve read it’s normal.

I emailed them and this was the answer:

''The applications are no longer available on our website after the competition deadline.

The results of the doctoral awards competition will be sent electronically via the SSHRC extranet. We anticipate that the results will be available by the end of April 2022.

You will receive an e-mail with more details in the coming weeks.''

Based on this in the previous years, I guess we wont have the result before the last days of April, or even May. Good luck with the waiting!

46 minutes ago, CharlotteG said:

I emailed them and this was the answer:

''The applications are no longer available on our website after the competition deadline.

The results of the doctoral awards competition will be sent electronically via the SSHRC extranet. We anticipate that the results will be available by the end of April 2022.

You will receive an e-mail with more details in the coming weeks.''

Based on this in the previous years, I guess we wont have the result before the last days of April, or even May. Good luck with the waiting!

Thanks for getting us all an update.  Its funny - I did a great job putting it out of my mind for a long time, but since April ticked over its been a lot harder!

8 hours ago, Tas02 said:

Hi,

Ibthink CIHR CGSD result has been published already. Any update of SSHRC? How to know the result btw?

No updates for SSHRC. Results will be sent out to applicants by email, and based on past years, it looks like results won't be out until late April or early May, so there's at least another week or two until we all find out.

Just to clarify, what exactly is the SSHRC extranet? Is it the portal we used to apply for the fellowship/CGS-D? The portal we used to apply for the CGS-M? Something else?