SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships & CGS D 2022-2023

VanessaB

13 minutes ago, KayCee said:

If there is no wait-list, maybe it is just that - no waitlist, so anything not claimed is just... not claimed?

I've been doing a lot of research and have found nothing regarding their removal of waitlists. That would be unfortunate that the money simply goes unclaimed unlike prior years. Many students get their financing from being on waitlists (has happened to me in the past). 

3 minutes ago, SoleilSunshinee said:

I've been doing a lot of research and have found nothing regarding their removal of waitlists. That would be unfortunate that the money simply goes unclaimed unlike prior years. Many students get their financing from being on waitlists (has happened to me in the past). 

I ended up getting funded off CGS-M waitlist - but they had a category specifically for being waitlisted.  This looks very much like Offered/Not Offered.  So it makes me wonder if its just a matter of money not given out this year becomes extra awards next year kinda thing.

1 hour ago, Quicksilver25 said:

This is my first time applying for the doctoral SSHRC award. Can someone explain the difference between the doctoral fellowship that's worth $20,000 and the CGS-D that's worth $35,000? Mainly, how do the committees choose who gets the $20,000 vs. the $35,000 award?

I believe the CGS-D is $35k and the fellowship is $20k? According to the selection criteria, "top-ranked candidates who meet the relevant criteria are offered a CGS D Scholarship. All other successful candidates are offered a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship."

It appears they prioritize the $35k awards first, then the $20k (makes sense)

I was funded for 2 years with 20k (I was past the CGS-D deadline)!

My committee was 752-2A and I was scored as 9.95, the cut off was 9.71 - so a very tight race!

I had pretty much given up on getting a SSHRC after not getting one last year, so I encourage any who didn't get it to try again next year. Either way, your scholarship is important!

Congratulations to all those who are funded for this year, and good luck in the next year for everyone else! 

29 minutes ago, SoleilSunshinee said:

I’m going to email them at the end of next week asking if the process has changed from waitlist to offered/not offered. Will keep you all posted. (But truly, this information should already be available somewhere.)

Hello all. I was pretty happy to find out I received an CGS-D; however, I am a second year PhD student at a US school. I shouldn't be eligible for this award: as it can only be held by someone at a Canadian university? I think that they might just award CGS to the top applicants (I scored 6/120 and about 11.4/12). I want to see if anyone else is in this boat? And if anyone knows what I should do? I made it very clear that I was at a US institution when I applied--I've been reviewing my application and it has my US university name all over it. Should I contact SSHRC? Or do you think they will catch their mistake when I accept the offer.... Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Burner_Question said:

Hello all. I was pretty happy to find out I received an CGS-D; however, I am a second year PhD student at a US school. I shouldn't be eligible for this award: as it can only be held by someone at a Canadian university? I think that they might just award CGS to the top applicants (I scored 6/120 and about 11.4/12). I want to see if anyone else is in this boat? And if anyone knows what I should do? I made it very clear that I was at a US institution when I applied--I've been reviewing my application and it has my US university name all over it. Should I contact SSHRC? Or do you think they will catch their mistake when I accept the offer.... Thanks!

Yep totally in the same boat but with a British school. Presumably this has happened to a number of others which is kinda wild. I sent an email asking about it but I assume there won't be a quick answer. I wanted to go back to review my application too but it's not accessible for me in the portal anymore...but it was definitely very clear on the fact that I was applying to a foreign institution. In fact, it's even mentioned explicitly in the research proposal I submitted to SSHRC!

17 minutes ago, Burner_Question said:

I am in the same boat. I recall having a conversation with a colleague who told me they will just give you the doctoral award instead. Not positive, so am waiting for a reply to my email.

2 minutes ago, NateL said:

I am in the same boat. I recall having a conversation with a colleague who told me they will just give you the doctoral award instead. Not positive, so am waiting for a reply to my email.

Ok. I'm so glad to hear others are in the same boat. Please keep in contact if you get a response. I've been flying all day for a conference and don't have the energy to send an email to SSHRC--but I will in the morning. This means you'll probably hear back before me, so I'd love to know what they say. Congrats on CGS! Hopefully, everything sorts itself out for all of us :) 

8 minutes ago, Burner_Answer said:

Yep totally in the same boat but with a British school. Presumably this has happened to a number of others which is kinda wild. I sent an email asking about it but I assume there won't be a quick answer. I wanted to go back to review my application too but it's not accessible for me in the portal anymore...but it was definitely very clear on the fact that I was applying to a foreign institution. In fact, it's even mentioned explicitly in the research proposal I submitted to SSHRC!

Glad to hear there's a few of us in the same boat! I just looked at that final PDF that SSHRC generates to make sure that I mentioned I was at a US school (which I did, almost too many times, haha). Hopefully, we can all sort this out and will at least get some money... Please let me know if you hear anything from SSHRC!

5 minutes ago, Burner_Question said:

Glad to hear there's a few of us in the same boat! I just looked at that final PDF that SSHRC generates to make sure that I mentioned I was at a US school (which I did, almost too many times, haha). Hopefully, we can all sort this out and will at least get some money... Please let me know if you hear anything from SSHRC!

Ah cool I'll have to see if I can track that PDF down since I'm paranoid now... I'm sure we'll automatically get bumped down but it seems like quite a flaw in the system to send out offers to ineligible candidates (not to mention the tease of being offered the higher award to then presumably retract it!). In any case, will post if/when I hear anything back.

3 minutes ago, Burner_Answer said:

Ah cool I'll have to see if I can track that PDF down since I'm paranoid now... I'm sure we'll automatically get bumped down but it seems like quite a flaw in the system to send out offers to ineligible candidates (not to mention the tease of being offered the higher award to then presumably retract it!). In any case, will post if/when I hear anything back.

When I work up the energy to send an email to SSHRC tomorrow, I'm going to mention how rude it is to do this.

I was chatting with a friend who's done a ton of SSHRC adjudicating today, and they said that they give CGS to the top people to try to convince them to come back to a Canadian institution. Technically, I think, we might be able to shop around, say we have funding and switch to a Canadian school (I'd never do this though, love my program!).

First time applicant from Québec and just got the CGS-D (105K). I was not eligible for Vanier due to some restrictions for federal public servants so I will be accepting the award. Just sharing my committee information here for others in the same committee:

Sub-committee: 767-5A

Score of last funded application: 8.94

Congrats to those who got one of the awards and best of luck to those who are waitlisted!

2 hours ago, Burner_Question said:

Wow, the same happened to me too. Got a 10.61 (10th ranked app), but I'm a first year in the states. I was pretty stressed they were going to take the whole funding away/this was a mistake, but maybe they'll just swap out the 35k for the 20k and we'll be okay? It's a terrible exchange rate so it's not even that much money haha.

Does anyone know what happens to student funding packages if they're international when they get SSHRC? 15k USD isn't replacing my current package obviously, but I'm not sure if theres a clawback policy like with a bunch of US fellowships.

2 hours ago, Burner_Question said:

When I work up the energy to send an email to SSHRC tomorrow, I'm going to mention how rude it is to do this.

I was chatting with a friend who's done a ton of SSHRC adjudicating today, and they said that they give CGS to the top people to try to convince them to come back to a Canadian institution. Technically, I think, we might be able to shop around, say we have funding and switch to a Canadian school (I'd never do this though, love my program!).

I checked out the thread from last year. Several people confirmed they got their CGS changed to a Doctoral Award to take it abroad.

3 hours ago, Burner_Question said:

I’d also be curious to know how it works. Does it go by committee or by subcommittee? For example, would they combine all applications in a certain overall committee (e.g., committee 4) for a waitlist or would the waitlist be based only on your position in your subcommittee?

Didn't get it, this was my last year of eligibility, student at a US university. I'm interested to know the make-up of committee 2 this year, because there hasn't been a single Latin Americanist or Africanist scholar on committee 2 in the past 5 years.

Is anyone else frustrated that they've changed the scoring system from last year with little indication of how the two systems are related? I have no idea if my application improved on or was worse than last year's.

Committee 752-2A
Score: 9.13/12
Last funded application: 61/160. 9.71/12.

Hey all,

I was awarded CGS. Second time applying, did not make the final round last year. This time I had way more people review my application and applied to a committee that better matched my bibliography (I'm in an Interdisciplinary program). I have a lot of experience outside academia and that boosted my score I think. Keep applying, I know the disappointment is rough. 

Committee: 767-3A

Score: 10.78 / 12

Last funded application: 9.03/12

Edited by MaryE

Hey everyone,

I was awarded the SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. Third time applying (first time got waitlisted; second time didn't make it past my university (that honestly got me a little miffed)).

Sub-committee: 752-2B

Score: 9.66/12

Last funded application: 9.00/12

1 hour ago, MaryE said:

Hey all,

I was awarded CGS. Second time applying, did not make the final round last year. This time I had way more people review my application and applied to a committee that better matched my bibliography (I'm in an Interdisciplinary program). I have a lot of experience outside academia and that boosted my score I think. Keep applying, I know the disappointment is rough. 

Committee: 767-3A

Score: 10.78 / 12

Last funded application: 9.03/12

I would be interested to hear about this!  I am also in an interdisciplinary program and had a really hard time figuring out which committee